Yes 76%  76%  [ 82 ]
No 23%  23%  [ 25 ]
Never tried to 1%  1%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 108

Keith
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2008, 9:53 am

No, bad experience when I was a kid. Up to that point I had no problem, it was when I went underwaterand I distinctly remember being able to breathe as well. No one was around to help me, so if I didn't do anything I would have drowned. Made me realise, I'm on my own in my life.
Can barely get through a bath :oops:

adverb
Toucan
Toucan

16 Aug 2008, 10:10 am

I was 6 when I learned how to swim. The doggie paddle was the first thing I did. I had swimming lessons at about 3 but I couldn't swim until I was 6.

CelticRose
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2008, 10:56 am

I can keep my head above water and swim a little bit, but I would never go into the water unless there a was a good swimmer around who could rescue me if I got into trouble.

Autism Speaks does not speak for me. I am appalled to discover that Alex Plank has allied himself with an organization that is dedicated to eliminating autistic people. I no longer wish to have anything to do with Wrong Planet. Delete this account.

2ukenkerl
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2008, 11:05 am

Dragonfly_Dreams wrote:
To save my life I could doggy paddle and float. Low endurance and I didn't learn until nearly 12 years old. Swim classes were very traumatizing for me.

OK, this IS weird. I was NEVER taught until I was maybe 6 or so, though I DID have a pool at least from 3 to 9. I think I could ALWAYS dog paddle, but couldn't swim until 7 or 9. I STILL remember others laughing at the idea of my having to learn. From what I can recall, I was the ONLY one in the pool, and it was in a certain school. The last 2 years I was there, I was 7 and 9.

Woodpeace
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

16 Aug 2008, 11:34 am

I can't swim. One summer holiday when I was 8 years old I tried to learn to swim in the sea, but I didn't like it.

Amik
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2008, 11:59 am

Yes, I can swim. In my country swimming is a compulsory subject in school. I can swim pretty well and I enjoy it.

Sora
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2008, 12:13 pm

I can, but not very well. I don't know if training improves the ability to swim, I never trained it.

IdahoRose
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2008, 12:30 pm

Yes. I learned around age 9 or 10. I was determined to be a good swimmer, so I practiced every summer. I really enjoy it, and once my neighbors thought I was such a good swimmer that they asked if I took lessons.

gamefreak
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2008, 12:55 pm

I am on the Varsity Swim team

Age1600
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2008, 2:54 pm

i was put in a special swimmin school with one on one instructor, i still cant really swim, i doggy paddle and can stay afloat but thats about it lol. When i get in water i like to be in the shallow part and stand and flap on top of the water hahaha, and spin in the water then go under to the point my top of my head and nose stick out then i drink some of the water and spit it out lool. I also cant stand being splashed, ugh i freak out, idk y either.

Anemone
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2008, 2:56 pm

We spend all summer every summer at the cottage (on a deep spring-fed mountain lake - beautiful) from the time I was 3 1/2 and I had to learn to swim. It was either that or wear that horrible uncomfortable life jacket every time I was outside near the water. I learned.

Mom was pretty good about teaching us in stages (kicking, then dog paddle), and we had tests we had to be able to do to be allowed to go without a lifejacket when she wasn't with us, to be allowed to swim without an adult present, etc. First we had to be able to swim the length of the dock and be able to jump in and get out again. Then later we had to swim to the neighbour's dock and back. After that we could do what we wanted. My youngest sister who had floaties learned more slowly than the rest of us, since she didn't have the same degree of motivation.

We also took proper swimming lessons in town during the school year, with water safety and different strokes etc. I hated the chlorine. The lake was much nicer. And I had problems with treading water. My feet would keep popping up to the surface - I float too well. And you have to tread water to pass the course. Does that make sense?

I've never been a strong swimmer, though. Some people just take to the water, but not me. I'm happy to float about and cool off, but actually swim? Exercise?? I don't think so.

Chibi_Neko
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2008, 3:30 pm

I LOVE swimming!

Cult_of_SSBB
Butterfly
Butterfly

16 Aug 2008, 4:45 pm

Dragonfly_Dreams wrote:
To save my life I could doggy paddle and float. Low endurance and I didn't learn until nearly 12 years old. Swim classes were very traumatizing for me.

Same here, I didn't learn until about 9 years old and swim classes are too tough for me.

d0ds0t
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

16 Aug 2008, 4:49 pm

I love swimming.. When I was 12-13 yo I was the fastest swimmer on my school. (Well, there was "only" about 120 students, but still :P )

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2008, 4:49 pm

I like to swim but not in a crowded place with lots and lots of people.

I was at a local water park a few summers ago and noticed phelgmy looking saliva floating in the water and after that I didn't enjoy swimming there as much.

Anniemaniac
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

16 Aug 2008, 4:54 pm

I can swim, but not very well. In school, we were all made to take swimming lessons and even with a float, I still managed to nearly drown myself by accidentally tipping the float over.

I can swim about 5 metres, but that's all.