Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

tomboy4good
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2008, 5:59 pm

Has anyone else heard of or contacted this organization?

http://www.grasp.org/

Looks really interesting!

Aspie Score: 173/200, NT score 31/200: very likely an Aspie
5/18/11: New Aspie test: 72/72
DX: Anxiety plus ADHD/Aspergers: inconclusive

serenity
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2008, 10:56 am

Thanks for posting this. I've never heard of this group, but the little bit that I've read so far looks interesting. Always good to know of good resources!

aspiartist
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2008, 11:13 am

This looks pretty good. Thanks!

Anemone
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2008, 11:19 am

I joined briefly and then dropped out again. To be perfectly honest, I found it quite alarming. It didn't seem like it was being run by people on the spectrum - too efficient. But I don't know. Give it a try and let us know what you think.

aspiartist
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2008, 11:24 am

I'm not sure I'm joining or anything but I'll keep that in mind. Thanks

blueroses
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2008, 10:06 am

I've been active in the Philadelphia area chapter for a while now and really value the connections I've made. GRASP is a national support and advocacy organization that aims to be sort of the autism spectrum's equivalent of the NAACP.

It really was started and has been run almost entirely by autistics, despite being well-organized. (We're allowed to have a certain percentage of NT's in the leadership, per the bylaws, but I forget the exact number. NT's are a very small minority, though, both in the national leadership and at local meetings). In terms of the leadership and philosophy, it's kind of the anti-Autism Speaks.

I joined shortly after my official dx and found the most accepting and diverse group of people I'd ever met. If there is a local chapter in your area, I'd recommend checking out a support or social meeting. But, if there's not and you don't feel up to the task of starting one yourself, you can at least join the email list, which is helpful for staying up-to-date on issues affecting the community.

Liverbird
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

24 Aug 2008, 10:22 am

I joined. Looks good! Thanks for posting it!

alex
Developer
Developer

Liverbird
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

24 Aug 2008, 10:30 am

This could be a good thing rather than a bad thing however, Alex. I guess we'll have to wait and see how it all comes out. It seems that GRASPs concept is a little more on the "we all need to learn to live together" side of things rather than on the "let's cure all those pesky autistics" which is a huge platform of autism speaks.

We can all only advocate for ourselves and our own beliefs. So, we must do the best we can to meet the ends that make our world a better place.

blueroses
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2008, 11:25 am

It would be good to visit the "Articles and Interviews" section on grasp.org to read the "Articles of Understanding" from a few years ago that Alex was referring to. Unfortunately, they didn't lead to much understanding. At best, we seemed to have to agree to disagree.

I think that MJC's article was good, though, and I'm happy we got the opportunity to expose Autism Speaks members to such a viewpoint. Part of me would like to see more constructive dialogue, although I don't feel it will lead too far. Obviously, it's hard to have much constructive dialogue with those who'd like to people like us not to exist.

But, I work for an agency that serves people with disabilites--all forms of disability--and I see regularly that there are a lot of other groups that are light years ahead of the autism community in terms of services and acceptance from the general public. I feel that this is in part--although not entirely because of--the fact that we fight so much internally. I don't think it was bad for GRASP to attempt some dialogue, maybe just overly idealistic.

Douglas_MacNeill
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2008, 1:13 pm

I joined G.R.A.S.P just now.

Liverbird
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

24 Aug 2008, 4:44 pm

blueroses wrote:
It would be good to visit the "Articles and Interviews" section on grasp.org to read the "Articles of Understanding" from a few years ago that Alex was referring to. Unfortunately, they didn't lead to much understanding. At best, we seemed to have to agree to disagree.

I think that MJC's article was good, though, and I'm happy we got the opportunity to expose Autism Speaks members to such a viewpoint. Part of me would like to see more constructive dialogue, although I don't feel it will lead too far. Obviously, it's hard to have much constructive dialogue with those who'd like to people like us not to exist.

But, I work for an agency that serves people with disabilites--all forms of disability--and I see regularly that there are a lot of other groups that are light years ahead of the autism community in terms of services and acceptance from the general public. I feel that this is in part--although not entirely because of--the fact that we fight so much internally. I don't think it was bad for GRASP to attempt some dialogue, maybe just overly idealistic.

I concur. I work for an adult service provider of people with disabilities in the backwater land of Indiana which is practically third world in their services and resources for ASD people. People still have a picture of people with autism as rainmen or people who sit in the corner and rock and drool. It's all extemely archaic. I just try to spread awareness that autism is definitely not what anyone ever pictured in their mind's eye. It's too bad that the people who get heard are the insanity ridden members of Autism Speaks. We definitely all need to do the best we can to show that autism is a spectrum and we come in all shapes, sizes, colours and functioning levels/skills.