Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

Loborojo
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2008, 10:22 pm

As a child I always annoyed my bros and sisses by asking 'dumb' questions about and during movies' content and I keep doing that still today stilll very much to the annoyment of the people I watch movies with.

The last remark I had was 9 years ago when my host told me I sounded like a 10 year old. They Nts all understand these movies and stories so well or they can wait until the end of the story for them to understand what they are watching.

Does that sound familiar for other aspies?

I also hate and detest people crunching sweets or popcorn next behind or in front of me in the cinema...

LeonKrahe
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

26 Aug 2008, 1:12 am

I tend to do that a lot even today (literally earlier today in fact), just because I won't understand what makes those NT characters act a certain way because of something that happened to them in a scene. Like I understand the story is changing, but it seems like even though I've watched intently, I was missing something and some character's reactions just seem to come out of nowhere. So I tend to ask "dumb" questions in order to figure out exactly what's going on.

Although I think after many many years of watching movies I'm beginning to recognize some patterns now (although not necessarily the reasons behind them), I ask fewer questions about the plot. But I can't help it. Movie characters just never seem logical to me at all... then again NT's never do to me, and that's who they make the movies for.

As for the crunching popcorn sounds, that is one of few noises that I'm able to tune out perfectly. Went to the movies with my brother last month and the only thing about the audience that disturbed me was my own brother (NT) muttering to himself "I wish those guys would just shut up!" Apparently they were talking or chewing loudly or something and it was driving him nuts, although I didn't hear a single thing except for my brother's complaining about it.

But if the people talking are sitting right in front of me and are loud, then I have to fight the urge to kick their heads.

Keith
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2008, 2:11 am

Nothing more annoying that someone kicking your seat :twisted: Sometimes I have to watch the film a few times to understand it properly. The more I watch it, the more I understand it. I hate people for talking to me when I am watching a film/movie cos I am concentrating on understanding it. Sometimes I feel the speech has a part of the film, missing that is missing the entire plot

MemberSix
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2008, 4:47 am

Loborojo wrote:
As a child I always annoyed my bros and sisses by asking 'dumb' questions about and during movies' content and I keep doing that still today stilll very much to the annoyment of the people I watch movies with.

The last remark I had was 9 years ago when my host told me I sounded like a 10 year old. They Nts all understand these movies and stories so well or they can wait until the end of the story for them to understand what they are watching.

Does that sound familiar for other aspies?

I also hate and detest people crunching sweets or popcorn next behind or in front of me in the cinema...

Oh! talking.
Talking's the BIG one for me.
There's always some teenage girl yattering to her mate, behind me.
They don't give a f**k.

The entire reason I gave up the cinema and got a DVD player (which it seems, I never use).

BokeKaeru
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2008, 5:36 am

Though I understand most of what's going on, sometimes I still need a "translation" of sorts, either of a term or body language use that isn't in my "vocabulary," or just an explanation of a situation or joke. Usually the people I'm with are willing to fill in the gap without much frustration.

I do get annoyed with people talking around me in the theatre. Thankfully this annoyance is usually shared by everyone, and someone, if not me than another moviegoer, will usually make them quiet down.

poopylungstuffing
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2008, 8:05 am

Combine all of the above with face blindness so that you can't tell if a character in one scene is the same character in the next secene..... :wink:

MemberSix
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2008, 8:08 am

poopylungstuffing wrote:
Combine all of the above with face blindness so that you can't tell if a character in one scene is the same character in the next secene..... :wink:

Yeah, now that's a good one.
Some movies are absolutely aweful on this one - with three and sometimes more characters looking nearly identical.
Really bothers me sometimes. :twisted: GRRR!

lionesss
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2008, 8:21 am

Oh I HATE it when people kick my seat! I don't go to the movies anymore, mostly because its so damn expensive now. I also don't always get it the first time, but I have gotten better with that kind of thing as I have aged. If you think the kicking, and the chopping on popcorn and the talking is bad.... I recall very well 13 years ago when I saw "Seven" with Brad Pitt.. all of the immature little girls were yelling because of him showing up (you know he is so hot right? :roll: ) for the first good 15 minutes and I got SO mad!! I told them to just shut up but no one listened to me!

Warsie
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2008, 2:12 pm

BokeKaeru wrote:
Though I understand most of what's going on, sometimes I still need a "translation" of sorts, either of a term or body language use that isn't in my "vocabulary," or just an explanation of a situation or joke. Usually the people I'm with are willing to fill in the gap without much frustration.

I have an annoying tendency (well more when I was younger) to re-wind a tape/DVD/vid to analyze exactly what they were saying and what was happening.

Now given I tend to watch movies/etc at home I simply pause and google the term.

pandd
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2008, 4:50 pm

I have some difficulties following along with tv and movie media. Things I can struggle with are recognition of characters from one scene to another (mostly where two or more have the same hair and no distinguishing [to my perception] characteristics), action sequences (especially when edited to show the same event or moment from different camera angles), detecting and understanding motivations/intents and emotive states of the characters.

I also find I'm not really able to 'follow' movies when viewed at the cinema. The screen is too big to take in the whole picture, I find surround sound somewhat disorientating/overwhelming, and along with the loudness (at which sound is played) and the darkness of the cinema, the whole experience is disorientating and overwhelming on a sensory level. That's not to say I do not enjoy movies at the cinema, but rather I only like to watch certain kinds of movies at the cinema, and the experience is more akin to an amusement ride for the visual and auditory senses than to the 'consumption' of a story.

Mum2ASDboy
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2008, 5:01 pm

If those questions are/were important to YOU then they are not dumb.
I get asked lots of 'dumb' questions every day, I just give a straight answer and cross my fingers there will be no more.