Can a CT scan reveal autism or Asperger's Syndrome?

Page 1 of 2 [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Mw99
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2008, 4:15 pm

What about depression? Anxiety?

Spacedoubt
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

25 Jul 2008, 4:30 pm

I don't think so. Dosen't that reveal the structure of the brain? Or am I confusing it with an MRI?

Sedaka
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2008, 4:32 pm

they're trying to characterize it with fMRIs (functional mri)...

i'm hoping to participate in such a study soon.

got free science papers?

www.pubmed.gov
www.sciencedirect.com
http://highwire.stanford.edu/lists/freeart.dtl

TheKLF99
Butterfly
Butterfly

25 Jul 2008, 5:15 pm

There is a scan that can detect ADHD, as Asperger's is very similar to ADHD and affects the same part of the brain (hence the reason why quite a few people with AS also have ADHD) then there should be a way to scan for it, but as to whether it has been discovered yet I don't know. I was diagnosed for both ADHD and Asperger's through psychological study.

Brunny
Raven
Raven

25 Jul 2008, 6:36 pm

I don't think so. I was reading an article earlier this evening about whether Einstein was an aspie and at the end it said that once we get a better understanding of the brain structure of aspies it may be possible to know for sure, since his brain has been preserved!

This obviously suggests that we don't yet have a good understanding of what an aspie brain looks like compared to an NT one.

Ishmael
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2008, 6:28 am

A normal C.T. scan can't - but an S.P.E.C.T. scan can.

Danielismyname
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2008, 6:35 am

I think PET scans can be used to detect ASDs.

anbuend
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2008, 7:54 am

Ishmael wrote:

I'm not so sure about that.

I know a guy diagnosed with AS who went and got a SPECT scan and they told him he had to be a drug addict because of his scan results. He had never done illegal drugs, or even mild legal drugs or strong prescription psych drugs, he was one of those completely straitlaced guys and he'd never been in treatment for ADD or anything. So basically, he kept insisting he'd never done drugs, and they kept insisting he did.

They know some tendencies for what the SPECT scan will show, but no absolutes. A few people trying to make money have exaggerated their certainty as to what it shows. And made a ton of money.

Here's what's said here:

Quote:
SPECT for the Diagnosis/Assessment of Autism

The American Academy of Neurology (2000) stated that there is no evidence to support a role of neuroimaging modalities such as SPECT in the clinical diagnosis of autism.

Sedaka
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2008, 8:17 am

the fMRI will most likely be the best bet. these are when they have you in the scanner and they make you perform cognitive tasks... so when you do something, part(s) of your brain light up. it may be that ASD brains aren't too different yet how ASD people use their brain IS different.... they whole wiring deal.

got free science papers?

www.pubmed.gov
www.sciencedirect.com
http://highwire.stanford.edu/lists/freeart.dtl

SteelMaiden
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2008, 9:58 am

I have had an EEG and and an MRI and there was nothing to show for me. I have AS and paranoid schizophrenia. Nothing came up in these scans. It doesn't always show up.

CMaximus
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

26 Jul 2008, 1:36 pm

I've heard an EEG can show which areas of the brain are activated when you do something, and so they compare the activity relative to normal functioning. Sometimes with ASDs, the activity will be more disparate or in another area(s) altogether depending on what you're asked to do.

By the way, are EEGs stills or real-time?

Magicfly
Toucan
Toucan

26 Jul 2008, 1:52 pm

CMaximus wrote:
I've heard an EEG can show which areas of the brain are activated when you do something, and so they compare the activity relative to normal functioning. Sometimes with ASDs, the activity will be more disparate or in another area(s) altogether depending on what you're asked to do.

By the way, are EEGs stills or real-time?

An EEG is real-time, but it's done on a computer so the results can be recorded and reviewed. When they did mine every so often the technician would use a stylus to draw on the computer screen and circle certain patterns that were presumably odd.

The_Cucumber
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2008, 3:06 pm

anbuend wrote:
Ishmael wrote:

I'm not so sure about that.

I know a guy diagnosed with AS who went and got a SPECT scan and they told him he had to be a drug addict because of his scan results. He had never done illegal drugs, or even mild legal drugs or strong prescription psych drugs, he was one of those completely straitlaced guys and he'd never been in treatment for ADD or anything. So basically, he kept insisting he'd never done drugs, and they kept insisting he did.

They know some tendencies for what the SPECT scan will show, but no absolutes. A few people trying to make money have exaggerated their certainty as to what it shows. And made a ton of money.

Here's what's said here:

Quote:
SPECT for the Diagnosis/Assessment of Autism

The American Academy of Neurology (2000) stated that there is no evidence to support a role of neuroimaging modalities such as SPECT in the clinical diagnosis of autism.

Yea, one of the things I learned in psychology class is that you could be biologically set up to be the biggest drug addict in the history of mankind, yet if you never have access to drugs or consciously suppress the urge you can easily go through your entire life without touching any.

SIXLUCY
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2008, 3:58 pm

I had a CAT scan once.. not sure if that what its called. I told the Doctor I got kicked in the head which I did but scanned normal n then when I was in Prison the Psych ordered me to go to the hospital for scan MRI. Which is more detailed than the other one but then I got out n so didnt go n Ive had EEG but apart from annoying flashing lights I didnt blank out so that didnt confirm nothing eithier. I cant understand how the neuropsychologist can get me to answer a few question then say Ive got a Learning Disability from diffuse pattern of consistent with mild damage to the Temperol Lobe n some other part of my brain.
I was really pissed when the CRS b***h sent me for an assessment cause she put on the letter I was ret*d or something. I already had an IQ test which was above average (a bit) the Centrelink Psych assessed. I was so pleased with the results cause know I knew I wasnt ret*d like I always thought am I? my self esteem hit n all high. So f**k off every one that treated me like I was soooo slow.
UNTIL the CRS b***h thought she cant talk properly.. she must be a spas. I KNEW I WASNT so I went to the Neuropsych assessment to prove her wrong.. Self esteem hit n all time low. Oh f**k Ive got brain damage I must be a ret*d. Knew I wasnt quite all there.
Like my stepdad would sometimes joke 'I got a screw loose' n Im neurotic n 'I do things just to deliberatley annoy him. Yeh so scruff me n throw me to the other side of the room. Throw me round like a bag of s**t. Put his hands around your throat THREAT Im boss. Wonder why I cant remember my childhood.. like it losts to different parts just cant put the whole thing together. WHO THE HELL WOULD WANT TO 'n sometimes I think when he talks down bout me. Who is f****d in the head. Him not me. I dont even see my family no more. Cant go to my Mums no more cause he is there. Use to be close to my half sister but since goin to prison n didnt the whole world find out. SHE HATES ME NOW. Didnt even inviite me to her 21st Bday recently but every one else then. Was garna buy her a pres but tol my other sis to tell her she can shoove it up her ars. Then my real sis ruined her 21st n had her in tears cause my big sis didnt like the way spoiled lil princess talked to her in front of all her friends. LOL
Like my steddad said to my (real) 'Sis woman basher boyfriend when they spilt; "Dont worry but it none of em are all there"
His daughter is the biggest Neurotic Drama Queen of em all LOL
My (REAL) big sisters theyve always looked out for me 'n I Love em.

anbuend
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2008, 4:52 pm

The_Cucumber wrote:
Yea, one of the things I learned in psychology class is that you could be biologically set up to be the biggest drug addict in the history of mankind, yet if you never have access to drugs or consciously suppress the urge you can easily go through your entire life without touching any.

Yeah, the thing is, they didn't say that he had the neurological predisposition to be an addict.

They told him that he had brain damage from long-term drug addiction -- as in the same brain damage they'd seen people on certain drugs get. Which was impossible.

gwynfryn
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2008, 5:08 pm

Brunny wrote:
I don't think so. I was reading an article earlier this evening about whether Einstein was an aspie and at the end it said that once we get a better understanding of the brain structure of aspies it may be possible to know for sure, since his brain has been preserved!

This obviously suggests that we don't yet have a good understanding of what an aspie brain looks like compared to an NT one.

Except that: there are at least three versions of his brain on record, and his bibliography points to HFA by recent diagnosis (not "aspie") and he was in any case autistic, a personality type, not a childhood development disorder!

Of course, it could be determined if I am autistic as I am alive and willing to submit to such tests.

Will anyone with the facilities ever explore this possibility?