Page 3 of 7 [ 103 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

sinsboldly
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2008, 10:22 pm

Tahitiii wrote:
Bread and Circuses. Anything but real issues.

McCain Campaign Manager Rick Davis: "This election is not about issues. This election is about a composite view of what people take away from these candidates."

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/thefix ... ion_i.html

sinsboldly
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2008, 10:24 pm

Zeno wrote:
Everywhere I turn it seems that people are talking about Palin. All of a sudden this campaign is no longer about a black guy running for president but about a woman with a Down Syndrome baby and a pregnant teenage daughter running for vice-president. The selection for Palin as McCain's running mate has so far been brilliant. The momentum towards Obama has been broken.

Todd Palin, husband of Sarah, was a member of the secessionist Alaska Independence Party from 1995 through 2002. That's the information we just got from the Alaska Division of elections.

Probably not coincidentally, 2002 was the first time Sarah Palin ran for statewide office in Alaska.

http://tpmmuckraker.talkingpointsmemo.c ... d_memb.php

srriv345
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2008, 10:35 pm

The selection is "brilliant"? Huh? Much of the press devoted to Palin relates to scandal. Which is unsurprising, given that she was a complete unknown until last Friday. (I know I'm biased, but I thought it was a bit bush league of McCain to try and take the focus away from Obama so quickly, after what was undeniably a historic moment.) Palin probably helps McCain with religious conservatives, but not so much with moderates. I agree with McCain's staff person in that this campaign has veered away from the issues--but I think that happened a long time ago. McCain contributed to it with the whole stupid "Obama is a celebrity" meme. Personally, I couldn't care a wit about Palin's family, but I do care about her various incidents of possible corruption, dubious associations (AIP), and extreme politics.

Postperson
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2008, 11:12 pm

oooh secessionists! I like those. One of our states (Australia) has a history of attempting to secede.

Postperson
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2008, 11:19 pm

....besides, does anyone really believe elected representatives control the destiny of countries? Isn't the whole thing a bit of a farce?

Zeno
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2008, 11:26 pm

Her and her husband's association with the Alaska Independence Party does not count for much. She is pro-Alaska, and why shouldn't she be? There is an argument for Alaska to be independent and Alaskans could be better off without all the baggage that people in the lower 48 impose on them. As for her husband's DUI, you might want to consider the problems that Hilary's husband have.

But let me tell you why Palin was such a brilliant choice. McCain is most definitely a centrist. So much so that he has had a hard time getting the support of powerful right wing elements of the conservative movement. Hilary is also a centrist and many thought that because she was up against a decidedly left wing Obama, she would win hands down. Things did not turn out that way. In order to bolster support within the ranks of the Republican Party, McCain needed to find someone who is acceptable as a representative to the Christian right but who will not offend his own constituents. Palin fits the bill perfectly. As right wing conservatives go, she is as cuddly as they come. Obama made the mistake of choosing a running mate who agreed with his vision and is thus as left oriented as he is. Even though Biden can help Obama deliver the working class vote, the appeal of an Obama-Biden ticket is to the left whereas McCain-Palin is to the right and center. Regardless of your rhetoric, people will not vote for you if you do not appeal to them. So it comes down to this: McCain-Palin will appeal to far more voters than Obama-Biden. The fact that practically all the news outlets and fanatical websites have stopped talking about Obama and his "epoch defining" attempt for the presidency is just gravy on top of a very big mountain of votes.

Postperson
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2008, 11:33 pm

I'm thinking Lara Croft, with specs.

...and as they say in the meeja: 'all publicity is good publicity' - it's brand name reinforcement.

Tahitiii
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2008, 11:43 pm

Zeno wrote:
As right wing conservatives go, she is as cuddly as they come.
That is true. You can't help but like her, even if you don't like her politics.
Brilliant or insane? At the moment, the choice seems brilliant.

srriv345
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2008, 12:09 am

McCain is not a centrist. He votes with the standard GOP position most of the time, and has backed Bush for the past eight years. The notion of him being a "centrist" is more media creation than fact--and even that tends towards McCain being a "maverick" rather than a "moderate." There's a difference. He only seems "moderate" in comparison to Palin. It's hard to say with "moderates," anyway, since almost everyone thinks they're "moderate." Despite all the people here talking about what a "brilliant" pick Palin is, that's not reflected in the most current polls. Granted, Obama did just have his convention, but all publicity does not equal good publicity in politics. The reason Palin's selection has garnered more interest and attention than Biden's is because Biden is a known quantity and Palin was almost completely unknown until Friday. Maybe the pick will turn out to be a big advantage, but there's at least that much chance that it will backfire. Regardless, VP picks have rarely influenced elections in a significant manner.

sinsboldly
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2008, 12:16 am

Zeno wrote:
The Democrat gay vegan blogger is now so riled up that they are literally working round the clock into a discombobulated lather. Imagine that, going after a working mum… Can they be any more vicious? And you are right about the experience debate. Obama cannot claim to have any more experience than Palin and it is really Palin who can claim more legislative accomplishments than Obama can. More importantly, with Palin in the picture, the comparison will now be between Obama-Palin and McCain-Biden. Poor Obama, he has to do battle with a mother of five kids.

ah. .Zeno don't hang out with discombobulated gay bloggers that are in a lather. .
I would think you would like this side of Ms Palin better.

Postperson
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2008, 12:31 am

Lara Croft, with specs.

Zeno
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2008, 12:34 am

Centrist, Left Wing, Right Wing, it is all relative. Everyone thinks that they are centered and others are extemist. That is just part of the necessary narcissism that is the human condition. What matters is how many people the candidates appeal to.

Truth is, as a Singaporean who has lived in the States for a number of years, I started out supporting John Edwards and "participated' in his campaign via the web but that was before his love child scandal broke (a real scandal if you ask me) and my support was mostly because of the Chapel Hill connection. Alas, Edwards did not stand a chance (thank goodness given the sword that hung over his head) and I was left wondering who I would like to see become President of the United States of America. Even though I am not an American, I have great affection for the United States and do wish the people of America well.

The real issue for this election is Iraq. The real players are not Americans. The fact is that Obama lost the election when he refused to recant on his pledge to bring the troops home from Iraq. You see, the Saudis and the Emirates cannot have a situation where Iraq falls into total anarchy nor can they live in a world where Iran and Iraq (note the very slight difference in their names) are joined together to form perhaps the most powerful grouping in the Islamic world. This election means far more for the House of Saud than it does for any other interest group in the United States. It just so happens that these oil sheiks control more than $3 trillion dollars in liquid assets that can be mobilized to support their candidate. If Hilary had won the primary, then they would have been indifferent between the Clintons and McCain and given their long term friendship with the Clintons might have welcomed the change. But Obama won and he wants to withdraw American forces. On top of that strategic blunder, Obama seems to have gone out of his way to piss off the Jewish lobby.

In case anyone is wondering, I am not some Israel loving Apocalypse Now Jew hating anti-gay right wing Christian fanatic. I do not care how people choose to f**k so long as it is consensual. But this attack on Palin is as stupid as it is vicious. The more she gets beaten up, the more powerful she is going to become. Mark my words, her views on congenital disorders will define what it means to be born with a disability. As members of an autism movement, she is someone we need to pay attention to.

Aurore
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2008, 12:45 am

Shouldn't this be in the Autism Politics/Media Representation forum? Along with the Obama and autism thread?

Zeno
Veteran
Veteran

04 Sep 2008, 6:48 am

Palin Assails Critics and Electrifies Party

And now for the counter attack.

Postperson
Veteran
Veteran

04 Sep 2008, 5:13 pm

she bites!

sinsboldly
Veteran
Veteran

04 Sep 2008, 8:38 pm

couldn't Cindy afford a comb for her hair? or am I helplessly behind the styles?