Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

hurricaneseye
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

15 Sep 2008, 4:48 pm

Does anyone know anything about dyscalculia? It's like dyslexia, but with math. And I've been a math blonde since I was in the 4th grade.

Any information will be appreciated!

Please visit http://www.petitiononline.com/bbcwnus/petition.html. Thanks!

donkey
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2008, 5:48 pm

yes dyscalculia, like dyslexia is an As feature. getting numbers mixed up, mine is phone numbers and take ages to remember my own.
im good at arithmetic thou and can figure out sums better than others, but do have trouble with writing, remembering and transcribing numbers.

slowmutant
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2008, 7:19 pm

I am definitely a math blonde, and I think that puts me in the minority among Aspies. Judging from the members of WrongPlanet, most Aspies are math geeks.

LeKiwi
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2008, 7:23 pm

I can't do math to save myself. Numbers swim in front of my eyes at times, I see them and my mind stops working pretty much instantaneously. I absolutely hate hate hate that wretched 'text speak' teenagers do these days where they put numbers in the middle of words because I physically can't read it!!

I'm not diagnosed but I'm pretty sure that that, teamed with my 10% in math exams (as opposed to everything else in the high 90s) and tendency to dial phone number five times before I get it right, means I've more than likely got dyscalculia!! :P

Oddly enough, I can remember strings of numbers pretty easily... that's the only quirk in it for me.

LeKiwi
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2008, 7:26 pm

Oh, just to add for those who it could help, this form of maths isn't taught in schools anywhere as far as I know, but it's the only way I can do any math at all.

http://www.vedicmaths.org/

It's totally different - it uses rhymes and number games and tricks and lateral thinking to get the right answer. It's far more logical than the standard system you get taught and works so well, that even I manage to multiply in the hundreds of thousands in my head and get the correct answer in less than a minute.

Using normal maths, even straightforward division can take me five minutes with a piece of paper and trial-and-error multiplying till I get it right...

McCann_Can_Triple
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

15 Sep 2008, 7:44 pm

I can do the simply stuff no problem. Addition, subtraction, mutilation and division... but beyond that... I’m an utter dumbass

River: They say the snow on the roof is too heavy. They say the ceiling will cave in. His brains are in terrible danger. "

Hurley's mom "Jesus Christ is not a weapon."

Relyt22

15 Sep 2008, 7:55 pm

I didn't know about this... it might be why I barely passed algebra with a D in high school and failed it three times in college (ouch).

Loborojo
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2008, 8:14 pm

I can remember numbers like for my back acount, some telephone numbers, a few equasions I can do eand remember some tables of 1 to 10, but sometimes i have to manually from the heart recount and figure out how it works.

I couldn't deal with decimals, still cannot, questionairies also not, algebra and venn diagrams (modern math guinea pigs we were in the seventies) nothing, let alone understand formulas in chemistry, physics...

I really felt dumb all the time, had I known or somebody explained to me I had descalculia it owuld have made a difference!!