Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

Triangular_Trees
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2008, 10:58 pm

I happened to read something today that reminded of an incident a few years ago.

For 2 semesters, I always parked in the same parking space every day, but the one day I arrived and someone had taken my nice shaded spot. So I had to park out in the middle of lot. I wasn't too happy about having a hot car to return to, but its not like I could do anything about it, unless I wanted to have a ridiculous trek to class.

I parked in view of my regular spot. I got out of my class, got in the car and thought 'Glad I didn't get that space today' - the tree that provide the shade had fallen on the car that took my spot. It was a small tree so at most it probably only made a few dents and scratched, but I was still glad it didn't happen to me

http://www.wrongplanet.net/postt74894.html

Ryn
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

19 Sep 2008, 11:29 pm

Wow, that's scary. 8O

I moved from my hometown to university. It was really hard to live there, and I'm glad I made the choice to move. People have been more friendly to me here than I experienced all through middle school and high school.

Belfast
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2008, 2:34 am

Grew up in one place, then when I was teenager my family moved-I was terribly upset & unhappy about it, but in retrospect (20 years later), I can see that it was likely a good thing.

Socially:
Had a reputation for being weird (and not in a good way-it led to my being teased & taunted) in my previous hometown. Moving allowed me to start over with folks who knew nothing of me beforehand. Yes, I came across as weird to them, too-but at least it was a "new" version of weird, not the "old" one I'd developed thus far (so I didn't have to deal with the same hassles from my peers).

Residentially:
From perspective of finding size & type of town in which I'd be most comfortable living-grew up in small town, moved to big city (which was fun for awhile, but eventually the thrill wore off & it was just too tough for me to navigate/negotiate urban life), so then I moved to another small town (where I now live). But it was useful to go through that multi-step process.