Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

honey
Butterfly
Butterfly

20 Sep 2008, 7:47 pm

Hi there,
I know that there is a lot of variance on the spectrum, I'm just wondering if any of you out there with AS have tried scuba diving, and if so, was it enjoyable for you?

My new hubby and I are going to Hawaii and I would like to book us a "learn to scuba dive" session. They start you out in a pool to learn basic skills like purging water from your mask, clearing your regulator, and equalizing your ears and mask etc.

I have scuba dived before but he has not. He seems interested in trying, the thing is, the package is non-refundable. It includes a pool session and two ocean dives. If he has sensory problems with the mask, regulator, etc. in the pool, we won't be able to get a refund for not doing the ocean dive.

Any advice or experiences would be helpful.

Kauf039
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

20 Sep 2008, 8:24 pm

I dive and quite enjoy it. The biggest issue for me was learning how to breathe out of my mouth and not from my nose. Has he tried snorkling at all? If he can do that, he should be able to dive. It would be a cheaper way of testing ($2 mask and a trip to the lake or a pool instead of paying for everything).

Magique
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

20 Sep 2008, 8:25 pm

I've never done scuba, but I've snorkeled quite a bit. The only thing different besides the depth is the tank & regulator. I love it. The ocean is silent and peaceful. Is there any way you could try out the feel of things before you fork out the money? My main problem would be that I really don't like swimming pools.

pakled
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2008, 10:30 pm

I've heard it's as close to weightlessness as you'll get. The only problems sound like things from really deep dives, where you have to be able to time your ascent.

I'd try it, if I could afford it.

LostInSpace
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2008, 1:23 am

I've gone snorkeling, but never scuba diving. My ears are very sensitive to changes in pressure, and they hurt a lot if I go more than a few feet underwater (as in literally around 3-4 feet).

Jeyradan
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2008, 1:45 am

I've been diving for seven years and...

Quote:
I've never had a problem with it. It's easy to understand because all the processes are logical and have good reasons behind them, and the communication is clear and simple - defined gestures only (unless you write on a slate, which I've done). I don't think there's any reason at all why an ASD would make a difference here.
I suppose the only issues would be if you were to have a problem (i.e., meltdown or something) underwater.

... I haven't had any problems - other than with equalization due to an inner ear problem.

The equipment is fairly straightforward and easy to understand, and you only need to master the most basic skills to have a good time diving. Sensory issues were actually less of a problem for me while diving, even auditory hypersensitivity, and I haven't had tactile issues with any of the equipment. If you are worried, though, things like mask and fins don't have to be expensive to purchase, and you might feel "safer" going with equipment you and he have tried on and know fits well and doesn't raise any red flags.

Just for information's sake [not a criticism], there's another thread about this from some months ago that might add a few more comments (this is the thread from which I quoted myself): http://www.wrongplanet.net/postt67911.html

donkey
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2008, 3:04 am

i wen scuba diving in egypt and enjoyed it.

in fact when i was underwater the lack of external moise.
the reduced wavelength intensity of light.
made it confortable for me.

what i found i enjoyed was the feeling of deep pressure from being under so much water.

similar to weighted leaded blankets that they give to kids it was a very re-assuring and comforting feeling for me as an AS.

make sure you have insurance for below 18 meters.

enjoy.

Loborojo
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2008, 12:23 pm

I've learned it in Thailand, but they never gave me the the training in a pool, got to find out the language to use underwater, so I went with a group in the sea...it was stunning, though I panicked at one point thinking I was lacking oxigen and preparing my ascent with the others. I loved snorkeling, which I did only once

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2008, 1:56 pm

Never tried it, but I'd like to...I love diving.

Keith
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2008, 2:18 pm

Scuba diving? Not on anyone's life ! !! !! I have an issue with water ...

Amicitia
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

21 Sep 2008, 3:11 pm

I snuba'ed in Hawaii once and it was probably one of the best experiences of my life. I usually hate touching things that other people have used but I didn't have any problem with the rented equipment. I'm not usually good with water pressure either but the instructor showed me how to equalize my air spaces and everything was fine.

I hope this is something you and DH can enjoy together!

honey
Butterfly
Butterfly

21 Sep 2008, 4:05 pm

Wow! Thanks everyone for your responses, they have been incredibly helpful.

I think I'll do as suggested and buy masks and snorkel ahead of time and try them out in a pool with him first and see how he likes that. I'm really hoping he'll love it as much as I do.

Also, thanks for pointing out that other thread that discusses diving, I will go read that next.
:)

DentArthurDent
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2008, 9:17 pm

I love it and have dived all over the world. Although you dive with others it is still a solitary experience, the part he may not like is the boat ride in and out with the others and the social interaction required. Thats the bit I don't like and I just keep myself to myself.

"Religion is the impotence of the human mind to deal with occurrences it cannot understand" Karl Marx