Page 2 of 5 [ 78 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Brook-lynn20
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

24 Sep 2008, 4:07 pm

Something's wrong with my dad. It's not Asperger's or any form of autism. And my mom is NT. basically my immediate family is NT, therefore they would not understand my problem (more like struggle and or obsession) of whether or not I'm an aspie.

theQuail
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

24 Sep 2008, 4:16 pm

Not really. My mother is about average NT-wise, except she says she dealt with some anxiety and depression during college and has real problems understanding sarcasm. My father is probably on the BAP (broader autistic phenotype): he is not very social, stims more than most, has some problems understanding facial expressions, and appears to have minor auditory processing issues.
My mother's side of the family is very social (and there are a lot of relatives on that side; visits are scary) and my father's is more reserved. Actually, now that I think of it, on my father's side there are a lot more relatives who are "nerdy" or in technical careers.

AnnaLemma wrote:
"I shouldn't have to tell you, you should just know!"

Yeah, that's really annoying. I keep on trying that reply, and it never works...

Irulan
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2008, 4:20 pm

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:
Needless to say, I grew up without the gender stereotyping most get from their parents.

I must say mother never even tried to touch serious issues in conversations with me so talking about social roles of both the genders avoided me. I was quite suprised when I discovered that parents can talk about other things than school marks and stuff with their children.

ford_prefects_kid
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2008, 4:32 pm

My mother is NT as is my father, but he shows signs of OCD. My 3 siblings are NT as well (as far as I know), but the youngest one (6 years) has some OCD issues also.

When I first started having problems, they definitely weren't supportive and wanted me to "change" ...couldn't understand why seemingly simple things were such a big deal for me. My dad would sometimes accuse me of faking it.

Now that I'm older, they are more accepting- I'm sure they wish I wasn't this way, but they both encourage me to stay in touch with the disabilities program at the college. They still get annoyed or angered by some of the things I do, but they kind of half-expect me to have problems contacting people or leaving my apartment.

The one thing that kind of gets on my nerves a bit is that my mother went full swing from "How DARE these doctors suggest you have mental issues! Now do what you're told, and be happy," to anytime I'm struggling with something: "Are you taking your medication?" as if that's the magical cure for everything.

CMaximus
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

24 Sep 2008, 4:42 pm

I hate hate HATED those "stop feeling sorry for yourself" and "how could you _____ , when you ______ !" kind of comments. I couldn't believe it when those kinds of incidents started happening. Seriously, I visuallized murder sometimes.

2ukenkerl
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2008, 5:05 pm

Irulan wrote:
DevonB wrote:
I don't think that's a sign of NT personally. It sounds like someone who is extremely closed-minded and small-minded.

True, mother was raised by poor, uneducated parents (gran's educational achievement was only four grades of elementary school, grandpa's only two as far as I know - before the war education wasn't compulsory) whose intellectual horizons and interests didn't step over boundaries of their village. They were really nice people, especially gran who was always spoiling me but it's everything. Mother never got out of her family's way of looking at things. She never showed any intellectual ambitions nor willingness to exert herself for understanding others' way of life.

WOW, I wonder how your parents feel being so far behind.

BTW your avatar is funny. I don't exactly like the idea of all the puns, etc... but OH WELL. You know, DICK is slang for hopeless jerk, and BOOB is slang for idiot. I wonder if they managed to do something with BOOB.

Mosse
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

24 Sep 2008, 7:11 pm

My parents are NT, and they don't really say I need to adapt or anything.

patternist
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2008, 7:31 pm

My mom is as NT as they get, but has some anxiety issues. Which I think might stem from iving with my dad for 40 years.

Because he hides from family gatherings, smells things in the next apartment over, wakes up if you breathe too loud, yells if you move his can of coca-cola, and follows you around like he's stalking you, lol, talking about politics, World War II, St. Louis in the Great Depression, personal finance, religious relativism, or how he got a job straight out of prison by learning advanced algebra. He was always bright enough and his topics obscure enough to make it interesting for people (not his family, who heard it every day) but whenever introducing him to someone I could see it coming a mile away that he would steer the conversation toward his "pet topics".

I love him to death, I do, I can actually relate to him, unlike my mom, but he's BAP, AS, or something and the rest of the family just shrugs it off because he's 15 years older than my mom and they just think he's a cranky/eccentric old man.

Last edited by patternist on 24 Sep 2008, 7:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

-JR
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2008, 7:35 pm

I believe both my parents exhibit some very strong AS traits, especially my father. As gregarious as my father is, he has NO friends. None that he associates with today, or even in the past 15 years. As sharp as his memory is (especially concerning numbers and store matters), nearly anything else is irrelevant. It seems both my uncles also have very visible streaks of ADHD.

ford_perfects_kid:

My mother went ballistic after a doctor suggested my mental development wasn't quite right as a toddler. Never ever saw that doctor again, and it wasn't until I saw a special television show on autism that I began to think back to that episode. She told me about it, and I can't remember any of the details, but it was suggested that institution was a good option for me. As "normal" as I turned out, I'm glad my mother slammed that door, however I wish she would have knocked on others... At a very young age I remember feeling very "different" from my peers, and yet at the same time was pretty oblivious to the ways I was actually different.

tomboy4good
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2008, 7:45 pm

My mother is still embarrassed by my differences. Dad is also quirky, but somehow she accepts it in him. He seems to have AS, but since we are biologically unrelated, it's a fluke. He accepts me now, but as a kid, he was not at all tolerant of my quirkiness. In fact both my parents did their best to literally the oddities out of me. 8O Only thing is, I am still the same! Didn't work very well, did it?

Aspie Score: 173/200, NT score 31/200: very likely an Aspie
5/18/11: New Aspie test: 72/72
DX: Anxiety plus ADHD/Aspergers: inconclusive

KingdomOfRats
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2008, 8:22 pm

dad is aspie,mum is NT with mental illness,when they were non accepting,they had tried to get am put in a home for children [ever since early childhood],they also constantly treated am as a burden and always publically stated like they were mourning some child they never got,now they understand the needs,difficulties and differences am have,
instead of regret all the time.
it is actually sister [an aspie,hf,owns her own cottage] who since a few years ago is worse off in terms of being expected to adapt and understanding because they expect a lot from her.

>>>help to keep bullying off our community,report it!

Aguila
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

24 Sep 2008, 8:55 pm

NTs everywhich way I turn. I do not know anybody personally with aspergers.

poopylungstuffing
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2008, 11:01 pm

My parents are not very neurotypical at all.

My mom is very AS-ish...all consuming obsessions, sensory issues, like me, does not drive, completley monotonous wardrobe, lifelong trouble holding jobs, extreme social akwardness, repetative speech and so on and so forth....

My dad though not a stereotypical "aspie", I would not exactly call him neurotypical, and there are folks on his side of the family that definitely seem(ed) to fit the criteria...architechts, engineers, and some who were affected with rather severe autistic traits.

It could have something to do with the reason they "hit it off" i guess...

Irulan
Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2008, 5:39 am

2ukenkerl wrote:

WOW, I wonder how your parents feel being so far behind.

BTW your avatar is funny. I don't exactly like the idea of all the puns, etc... but OH WELL. You know, DICK is slang for hopeless jerk, and BOOB is slang for idiot. I wonder if they managed to do something with BOOB.

I can safely say my grandparents, when still alive were quite happy to live in a way described by me and never ashamed of their lack of education and knowledge of the world, besides all country people from their generation (gran born in 1921, grandpa - in 1916) were like that so they weren't lonely. Gran's teacher wanted her to get education but her parents didn't agree to send their daughter to school because they needed her to help them on their farm.

When I asked my mom if she ever felt embarrassment because of her parents' intellectual and material poverty, her answer was negative - all her school friends who also came from villages had families like that. Now there isn't any difference between poeple from cities/towns and inhabitants of villages when it comes to younger generations but when you look at people in their 40's and older it's usually more or less easy to guess - the best example is again my mom who while talking with her friends living in her village speaks in their funny dialect instead of normal Polish because as she explained to me - "othervise they would think I'm patronizing them", assuming she pretends someone better, more educated not using the dialect :roll: .

Well, as a result of such life, only one uncle, mom'd oldest brother who is dead now was a highly intelligent man (he was a gifted child, as a teen surpassing many teachers with his knowledge according to family legend), aunt is a stupid, childish woman, irresponsible enough to brag of the fact she NEVER visited a gynecologist 8O (I even wrote about this on my Live Journal), my own mother is as I described and another uncle is also stupid, down-to-earth and closed-minded person.

I guess if mother was born to a different family she might be at least a bit different, more open to differences.

Lol, I even didn't know that "boob" could have a different meaning than only a part of body. I knew only that "tit" can be used refering to an idiot and to the same part of body.

Speaking of the whole dick issue - here our counterpart of it is wacek which has the same connotations as dick. Richard is a name and dick is either short for Richard or a private part of male anatomy. Here we have such a name Waclaw (now usually not given to boys, owners of this name are now rarely younger than in their 40's). Wacek is short for Waclaw but it's also slang for penis.

Danielismyname
Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2008, 7:00 am

My mother is normal, and my father is of the BAP/"mild aspie" kind.

I got the more severe kind from my father, or so they say.

Liopleurodon
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

25 Sep 2008, 7:10 am

Neither of my parents is diagnosed but both have pretty strong AS traits. My dad is the stereotypical aspie in many respects: reclusive; logical; doesn't give a damn what he looks like; always speaks his mind; was a fanatical trainspotter in his youth. My mum has serious social issues, lacks empathy, doesn't understand personal space, can't read body language, and is prone to explosive tantrums if things don't go her way. They actually met at an adults' chess club - if that isn't a recipe for aspie genes I don't know what is.