Why do so many aspies have issues that I don't?

Page 1 of 2 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

rastaking
Raven
Raven

User avatar

Joined: 9 Dec 2011
Age: 55
Gender: Male
Posts: 111

01 Sep 2012, 8:12 pm

All the other "aspies" in my high school had some obnoxious quirk about them. I was the only one who fit in with the rest of the school without looking stupid. Here are some examples of the others:

1. one of them would poke people's noses (he did that to me when we had our first group meeting with a psychologist)

2. one of them would take advantage of me when I was assigned to work with him as a "team"

3. one of them would sit through our math class without doing any work, and would curse all the time when the teacher caught him (he farted in class too)

4. one of them talked for 45 minutes straight (except for when the counselor spoke) when we were in group counseling

5. one of them would boss around everyone else in the class

6. one of them would make all kinds of excuses to sit through class and not do any work

7. one of them would shout at our counselor (she REALLY didn't like that)

8. one of them would stare at the computer of whoever was sitting next to him



lostgirl1986
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 28 Feb 2012
Age: 33
Gender: Female
Posts: 6,425
Location: Ontario, Canada

01 Sep 2012, 8:16 pm

Some aspies have different traits than others and all aspies are higher or lower functioning than others. I'm assuming you're higher functioning. Just remember a lot of aspies can't help what they do.



InThisTogether
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 3 Jul 2012
Age: 51
Gender: Female
Posts: 2,812
Location: USA

01 Sep 2012, 8:34 pm

I do not find any except the first to be that odd. As lostgirl said, everyone is different. I guess maybe you could feel fortunate that you did not have issues that made you stand out, and pardon those who did. I am sure my son wishes he did not stand out from his peers. Unfortunately, he can't really help it. It is who he is.


_________________
Mom to 2 exceptional atypical kids
Long BAP lineage


Sora
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 15 Sep 2006
Gender: Female
Posts: 5,653
Location: Europe

02 Sep 2012, 7:13 am

Most of those behaviours strike me as perfectly normal behaviours that non-autistic teens/adolescents display (today). Hard to say anything more concrete about it from such a short list/one that doesn't go in depth about the situations in which they displayed those behaviours and whether they had anything to do with a disorder such as autism or were just normal/age appropriate for teens.


_________________
Autism + ADHD
______
The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it. Terry Pratchett


The_Walrus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

User avatar

Joined: 27 Jan 2010
Age: 24
Gender: Male
Posts: 6,509
Location: Reading, England

02 Sep 2012, 9:22 am

What do you mean when you say "take advantage" of you?



Maerlyn138
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

User avatar

Joined: 2 Nov 2005
Age: 47
Gender: Male
Posts: 499
Location: The Island of Misfit Toys

02 Sep 2012, 9:26 am

Maybe theye don't really have AS...maybe they are just assholes!! because they sound like assholes. Maybe they were misdiagnosed by some over eager counselor/psychiatrist/psychologist and now they are using the diagnosis just to act up. Those don't really seem like aspie behaviors to me...because I'm the expert dammit!! ! lol :wink:


_________________
We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams.

Aspie score: 159 of 200 NT score: 64 of 200


Sidmor
Raven
Raven

User avatar

Joined: 30 Jul 2012
Age: 28
Gender: Male
Posts: 107

02 Sep 2012, 9:51 am

Autists/Aspies behave emotionally differently from the NTs. This may explain some of the seemingly random behaviors.

Autists (and children) think like this, for example:

-Feel happy -> start running

-Feel tired -> lie down

But NTs act more based on how they want to feel/seem:

-Want to feel relaxed -> lie down

Also they generally care more of what others may think of them. Like "don't run because people may think that you did something suspicious".



Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 23 Feb 2010
Gender: Female
Posts: 16,883
Location: Maidstone, UK

02 Sep 2012, 11:07 am

I don't have any obnoxious quirk like that either, when I'm out or at social groups. I'm just like another normal person, with social awkwardness that is mild and hardly noticed by many people.


_________________
Female
Aged 29
On antidepressants
Diagnosed with AS, ADHD and anxiety disorder


Dirtdigger
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 9 Sep 2011
Age: 73
Gender: Female
Posts: 860

02 Sep 2012, 12:41 pm

rastaking wrote:
All the other "aspies" in my high school had some obnoxious quirk about them.


All other Aspies as if you are an Aspie as well? But, I see you are a Neurotypical in your profile, who don't understand and is not in any position to criticize us.



Rascal77s
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 12 Nov 2011
Age: 42
Gender: Male
Posts: 2,795

02 Sep 2012, 12:44 pm

Dirtdigger wrote:
rastaking wrote:
All the other "aspies" in my high school had some obnoxious quirk about them.


All other Aspies as if you are an Aspie as well? But, I see you are a Neurotypical in your profile, who don't understand and is not in any position to criticize us.


He only chose NT because troll wasn't an option.



Dirtdigger
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 9 Sep 2011
Age: 73
Gender: Female
Posts: 860

02 Sep 2012, 12:45 pm

Joe90 wrote:
I don't have any obnoxious quirk like that either, when I'm out or at social groups. I'm just like another normal person, with social awkwardness that is mild and hardly noticed by many people.


Do you have a difficult time trying to be a normal person in social groups? It is very hard for me and yet I still have problems with not wanting to make eye contact and the face tics I have. I hate social settings because of my social issues.



Dirtdigger
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 9 Sep 2011
Age: 73
Gender: Female
Posts: 860

02 Sep 2012, 12:47 pm

Rascal77s wrote:
Dirtdigger wrote:
rastaking wrote:
All the other "aspies" in my high school had some obnoxious quirk about them.


All other Aspies as if you are an Aspie as well? But, I see you are a Neurotypical in your profile, who don't understand and is not in any position to criticize us.


He only chose NT because troll wasn't an option.


:lol: :lol: :lol:



InThisTogether
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 3 Jul 2012
Age: 51
Gender: Female
Posts: 2,812
Location: USA

02 Sep 2012, 12:51 pm

Rascal77s wrote:
Dirtdigger wrote:
rastaking wrote:
All the other "aspies" in my high school had some obnoxious quirk about them.


All other Aspies as if you are an Aspie as well? But, I see you are a Neurotypical in your profile, who don't understand and is not in any position to criticize us.


He only chose NT because troll wasn't an option.


Heh! Maybe we should make it an option so people can just be upfront about it! LOL!


_________________
Mom to 2 exceptional atypical kids
Long BAP lineage


Rattus
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

User avatar

Joined: 28 Jul 2012
Age: 31
Gender: Female
Posts: 195
Location: UK

02 Sep 2012, 1:03 pm

Sidmor wrote:
Autists/Aspies behave emotionally differently from the NTs. This may explain some of the seemingly random behaviors.

Autists (and children) think like this, for example:

-Feel happy -> start running

-Feel tired -> lie down

But NTs act more based on how they want to feel/seem:

-Want to feel relaxed -> lie down

Also they generally care more of what others may think of them. Like "don't run because people may think that you did something suspicious".


This compleatly, also reminds me of a conversation I had with my dad the other day.

Dad: but don't you feel happy when you laugh?
me: no I laugh becuase it was funny.
Dad: but doesn't laughing make you feel happy?
me: no I laugh because it's funny.
*computer shutdown moment*



SteffiTheSmile
Toucan
Toucan

User avatar

Joined: 11 Aug 2012
Gender: Female
Posts: 266
Location: U.K.

02 Sep 2012, 1:05 pm

Sounds like some of them have high levels of demand avoidance, it's an Aspie trait.


_________________
Blah blah blah