For those who feel depressed because..........

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

Nachtus01
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

10 Oct 2008, 1:58 am

they are called nerds, ret*ds, geeks, or whatever the put down of the day happens to be. I thought maybe this little tidbit might help you feel a little better about yourselves when you find NT's calling you names.
I recall when I was a child, being called a dork, a geek, a nerd, or a whole bunch of other names that only made me feel inferior to my peers. Now that I am older, and have the ability to look back, i have come to realize something very important.
Most of the kids that called me stupid, or ret*d, or whatever, knew that I definitely was not stupid or dump or ret*d. I received much better marks in school than most of them.
This caused me to wonder, why would people who are not as smart as I am, (honest, I know it sounds like it, but I really am not trying to brag), call me stupid, dumb, or ret*d?
As I got older, I learned that what they were doing was call "put-downs". The reason that someone does this, is to make themselves feel more superior, by making it appear as if you were inferior.
So the next time someone puts you down, think about this. We, (the "AS -enabled"), already feel inferior because of our ability to fit in. So when an NT is putting you down, he must really feel inferior to even you.
Knowing what it feels like to feel inferior, I actually feel sorry for them now.

If this post doesnt make sense at the moment, check back later. i am really tired while I write it, so I'll come back tomorrow and go over it again, and see if I need to make clarifications :tired:

http://asirony.blogspot.com/

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2008, 10:53 am

Tired or not, it makes sense to me 8)

The moment anybody uses a put-down, they're saying much more about themselves than they are about their "victim." What's it called when somebody gets off on harming others?

patternist
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2008, 11:06 am

My parents told me this constantly. This, and finding friends that were as "weird" as I was in high school (I went to an International Baccalaureate school) saved my self-esteem.

DustinWX
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

10 Oct 2008, 11:21 am

Unfortunally this is not completely true and the people who "call you names" are really immature anyway. It's the people who do not give YOU the time of day or people who just ask these probing questions into things or comment on what you cannot do right that really cuts you down. So this may work in elementray school, but in highschool and esp college this is not the case.

lionesss
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2008, 11:45 am

You are 100% correct there. But while it is happening at a younger age (as I had the worst of it in junior high) you don't know that and the hurt scars you! I agree with that now, and can easily see how its easy to put others down if you feel lousy about yourself. If you felt confident and good, you would have no need to call others names. But to be honest, even knowing this now, doesn't erase those years of pain that the bullies had caused me! Yes, they may have had a bad home life, they may have been put down by their parents.. no one knows for sure but all I know is that they targeted ME!! Because I was socially awkward, I did NOT get the best marks and I really did think I was mentally impaired and no good, I was the overweight outcast with acne as well. I had pretty much A LOT going against me back then!! I am an adult now and I am trying to let the pain go but its going to take YEARS of therapy for me to actually be at peace with how I was treated and what had happened. I have been a binge eater for years to numb the pain I felt from those years..and I just realized how much I WAS the one hurting myself less than a year ago and its going to take me more years, many more years to be at peace. All of these years of hurt that I tried pushing down with food is not going to be resolved overnight and now that I am allowing myself to feel these awful feelings, its been very hard.. again I know that these bullies that targeted me were going through things too and did it to make themselves feel better.. but there is only so much compassion I can have for those who had such a negative impact on me. Maybe in a year from now, I'll feel differently but while I am dealing with these feelings and not hiding them anymore... I just can't feel compassion for them no matter how badly they felt about themselves or how bad their home life was. I was a perfect target and they used me beautifully and destroyed my self esteem even more!

Nachtus01
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

10 Oct 2008, 12:24 pm

i totally agree with you all that knowing this does not take away the sting of the words people choose to use. I guess my goal was more to "lessen" the sting, and to hopefully help others not to give those words so much weight. I know for me, until i was about the 5th grade, I wondered if maybe I was ret*d, or stupid, or whatever. I didnt really believe it, but I was starting too. That is really what i am hoping to change I think. I wish i could take away the hurt the words cause, but that is just not possible, no matter how much I wish too.

http://asirony.blogspot.com/

lionesss
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2008, 1:33 pm

Oh I know and I am sorry you dealt with it too. And thank you for bringing this out as it is all valid, and I wish it was all that simple to take the hurt away completely. I was actually in a nice environment before grade 6. The kids were lovely and no one treated me differently.. and its because they knew I had these issues and sometimes if these kids grow up with you from grade 1 or earlier onwards... they may be more compassionate. Just when I moved to another school in grade 6 is when I encountered the real problems and that is a very rough time for all kids, under the spectrum or not!