Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

Mirror21
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2013, 7:40 pm

Does this happen to anyone? Earlier today I had an accident at my desk (I spilled soda on the lap top, seems to be working just fine tho, because I am using it just fine) and my gf got really irate, because I did not "do what I could have done" to prevent it (IE, use a cup with a lid). Well I get caught up on things and do not always think of the "other steps" and I do have serious coordination issues, that worsened when I had my stroke, and of course her attitude made me feel really horrid inside, like I was a little more worthless this evening than I was this morning.

But this did not last like, more than Id say 3 minutes? Now I feel absolutely nothing is like I got shocked with emotion and now I have none of them. No enthusiasm, no anger, no . . well anything really. I am not upset, and I am being really bland, generally, just to do the correct thing to do and speak when spoken to, but my inflection is failing the nt test, I am sure. And now my gf thinks im being a b***h. What gives?

To be honest I do not understand her standpoint, nor mine.

justkillingtime
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2013, 8:19 pm

I experience similar responses. I thought it was a shut down but the psychologist thought it was a dissociative defense mechanism.

I can understand your gf's wanting to prevent problems by planning ahead but nobody's perfect. I spend a lot of energy planning ahead to prevent problems but if I am stressed or overly confident, it can all fall apart and there is disaster.

Mirror21
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2013, 8:37 pm

Well the worse did happen. I broke my Gf's laptop -_- yay me that sure will score me a great deal of points. I have a $300 3DS xl with some games, gave them to her to make up for the 4500 paperweight she owns now. I just hope we do not end up with this large long talk. That's the part I hate. The part that makes my skin crawl ... Conversation.

loner1984
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2013, 9:16 pm

I think it either comes over time and or because some of us never learn it well enough. Was same when I was a kid if I got hurt I wouldn cry because its pointless and gets people.attention which is proobably the last thing I want.

But yeah its kinda sad my mom just got diagnosed with breast cancer and I'm not sure why I.don't feel anything. It's like something is broken. It's pretty bad and I don't want her to die and will do anything to help. But I'm not sure how I'm supposed to feel. Even basic hugs are painfully hard.

Tori0326
Toucan
Toucan

06 Mar 2013, 12:03 pm

Good or bad feelings I don't usually feel in the moment. It usually takes me some time to process before I actually feel the emotion and react in a more NT appropriate way.
My brother died in a car accident and my emotions were delayed throughout that experience. I'm sure that people thought it was odd I didn't cry or anything at his funeral but I did later.
When I feel loving toward a person it's usually when I think about them later and not when I'm actually with them.
It's almost like my mind is too busy taking everything in to process the implications or emotions until I have some downtime later.

Mirror21
Veteran
Veteran

06 Mar 2013, 4:45 pm

Tori0326 wrote:
Good or bad feelings I don't usually feel in the moment. It usually takes me some time to process before I actually feel the emotion and react in a more NT appropriate way.
My brother died in a car accident and my emotions were delayed throughout that experience. I'm sure that people thought it was odd I didn't cry or anything at his funeral but I did later.
When I feel loving toward a person it's usually when I think about them later and not when I'm actually with them.
It's almost like my mind is too busy taking everything in to process the implications or emotions until I have some downtime later.

I can totally relate to.this.delayed reaction. Yesterday I felt nothing and today I feel.awful about yesterday. I can't stop replaying the scene of the.cola can spiraling towards the keyboard.of.the laptop and the dark liquid slowly seeping into the.mother board. I know how much that thing meant to her and she trusted me with it and I ruined it. I went from numb to panic and now she seems to be over it when I just realized it was worthy of panic. This some sort of reactionary delay?

cavernio
Veteran
Veteran

06 Mar 2013, 4:54 pm

I can't speak for your emotional blunted response of immediately after it happened, but you've obviosly since turned this incident, and your emotional reaction to it, into a 'thing'. You're obsessing over it and now you're replaying it in your mind. I would say it's a fairly normal response to freak out over something that's somewhat traumatic that you keep thinking about over and over.
s**t happens. If you're clumsy you should really be using a spillproof mug.

Poor motivation

Mirror21
Veteran
Veteran

06 Mar 2013, 6:16 pm

I have d that catastrophising is actually rather common for individuals with AS. Although Knowing this in theory does not exactly mean can use it in a rational application. I have always had issues understanding or juggling emotions and when these responses are directed at me usually my first response is to completely stop being emotionally reciprocal for a while. And this is not an optional response, which is thus vexing for me. If I understand the theoretical reasons behind something I like to be able, in turn, to utilize it in an applicable manner but when it comes to emotional responses and objectivity, I am always left with the inability to do such.

Chloe33
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2013, 3:11 pm

Mirror21 wrote:
Does this happen to anyone? Earlier today I had an accident at my desk (I spilled soda on the lap top, seems to be working just fine tho, because I am using it just fine) and my gf got really irate, because I did not "do what I could have done" to prevent it (IE, use a cup with a lid). Well I get caught up on things and do not always think of the "other steps" and I do have serious coordination issues, that worsened when I had my stroke, and of course her attitude made me feel really horrid inside, like I was a little more worthless this evening than I was this morning.

But this did not last like, more than Id say 3 minutes? Now I feel absolutely nothing is like I got shocked with emotion and now I have none of them. No enthusiasm, no anger, no . . well anything really. I am not upset, and I am being really bland, generally, just to do the correct thing to do and speak when spoken to, but my inflection is failing the nt test, I am sure. And now my gf thinks im being a b***h. What gives?

To be honest I do not understand her standpoint, nor mine.

Your girlfriend might have been having a bad day, she was overreacting big time. That's just an accident, it happens sometimes. I am clumsy and i get so mad if i make a big mess, yet my gf never gets mad at me she helps clean it up since she knows how i am and its an accident.

Having no emotions sometimes (blank slate) i think is normal. I've done it, my NT gf does it. I think people just do that sometimes