Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

cataspie
Toucan
Toucan

15 Oct 2008, 7:13 am

Does anyone else suffer constant anxiety in social events and feel overloaded?.
I'm wondering what's wrong with me.I was in the company of a child with autism my son who is waiting to get diagnosed and his friend who has AS.The mother of the boy was there and she's said a few thing's that sound like she has AS.
The children all ran around shouting and banging and my nerve's felt it.
All the unexpected noise's and flitting into my field of vision quickly and touching me where almost unbearable,as well as that i was talking to the boys mother.
Why do they all seem fine and i have such high anxiety?.

misslottie
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

15 Oct 2008, 7:19 am

sounds like aspie response to over stimulation and noise. quite normal- very common.

oddly, i have this reaction to everything BUT noise and activity from children; i loathe adults, but am fine with kids and animals.
feeling exhausted at social events is very common in aspies. i feel literally physically tired out by seeing people. even being in the same large room as one other person for half an hour makes me very stressed and upset. interating with people tires me..

i used to have nervous breakdowns each school holiday...
sorry not to be helpful, but at least you know you're not alone... :)

cataspie
Toucan
Toucan

15 Oct 2008, 7:25 am

misslottie wrote:
sounds like aspie response to over stimulation and noise. quite normal- very common.

oddly, i have this reaction to everything BUT noise and activity from children; i loathe adults, but am fine with kids and animals.
feeling exhausted at social events is very common in aspies. i feel literally physically tired out by seeing people. even being in the same large room as one other person for half an hour makes me very stressed and upset. interating with people tires me..

i used to have nervous breakdowns each school holiday...
sorry not to be helpful, but at least you know you're not alone... :)

I was really tierd when everyone went.

Liresse
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

15 Oct 2008, 7:52 am

misslottie wrote:
I'm not diagnosed with Asperger's. As a result I'm not very familiar with the body of knowledge in the community, sorry. But all this "anxiety in social situations/overstimulation" resonates so much with me - probably the only thing I've ever sought help for. In some situations I actually fall asleep from exhaustion. I don't know how common this is in the "neurotypical" population...but it's such a relief to know it's not just me!

Beenthere
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2008, 7:55 am

Too much sensory input.

I do the same thing. I think it's because most of us are unable to filter out the background...most people seem to be able to "prioritize" what they focus their attention on, I can't prioritize and I'm distracted by everything happening around me.

Sometimes it makes me very confused and unable to function well (I start forgetting stuff, like what I'm saying, etc), always seems to wipe me out physically afterwards.

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2008, 8:03 am

I used to be much worse, now I can deal with it but my response is to stay quiet.
Having a peaceful home without drama and conflict as a refuge helps me. When I lived with my mom and had more friends I was much worse. I couldn't deal with all that. I minimize and reduce stress without lying to myself and not understanding the more people around me constantly, the more of a strain on my CNS.
I return home to destress and it saves me from meltdowns.

misslottie
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

15 Oct 2008, 9:07 am

something on depression and anxiety in aspies on the NAS site-

http://www.nas.org.uk/nas/jsp/polopoly.jsp?d=128&a=3346

ive just found this on this ANS site, which is interesting.
does not relate specifially to being around othrs, but is still interesting.