Page 4 of 5 [ 69 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Have you been Diagnosed with AS by a professional consultant psychiatrist???
YES 40%  40%  [ 27 ]
NO 60%  60%  [ 40 ]
Total votes : 67

NocturnalQuilter
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2008, 11:52 am

I just had this conversation with my doctor last night. She asked me why I wanted a "formal" diagnosis and what I hoped to gain from it.
For me, it is a very personal reason. As I told her I need to know that I'm not just the prick almost everyone thinks I am; that there has to be more to the past 40-ish years of people thinking I'm just not trying hard enough- the list could go on and on. Ultimately, it will help the last 40 years make just a bit more sense.
I recognize that outside of my personal reasons there is very little to be gained from a formal diagnosis. Nothing will really change except how I feel about myself.
I would imagine for many people that a diagnosis isn't worth the paper it eventually gets printed on. I can understand that. It's a personal choice.

ETA: And yes, it can be a very costly piece of paper. I am spending upwards of $500 to my psych doctor for the formal evaluation process including interview, standardized IQ, MMPI and other tests. I am borrowing some of that money from my parents and my partner is kicking in some as well.

poopylungstuffing
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2008, 11:57 am

I was given the quote of $2000 if I wanted to take the tests...

NocturnalQuilter
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2008, 12:11 pm

poopylungstuffing wrote:

WOW! Search for another doctor! I was put into contact with a doctor who specializes in autism/Asperger's in adolescents and adults. Her day job is as a school counselor. At night she works with a group of doctors to help pay for her PhD. Her prices are lower than those of her peers. Check into alternatives. Or even check into nearby cities where the overall prices may be lower due to the fiscal demographics.

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2008, 12:47 pm

anna-banana wrote:
ToughDiamond wrote:
anna-banana wrote:
Quote:
ASD cannot be diagnosed using any physical tests. However, other tests, such as hearing, or blood tests, may be used to rule out other health conditions.

It made me wonder what they wanted to test blood for :?

probably to rule out some conditions that have similar symptomps to AS but might be diagnosed through a blood test- whatever they might be, maybe some tropical fevers...? :wink:

I suppose if I ever do go for the DX, if they want a blood sample I'll ask them what they want to test for. If they won't tell me, I guess I could tell them to come back with the syringe when they've got an answer. It's beginning to sound a little like one of those situations where I may need to be less placid and obliging that I care to be, but I know how to be stubborn. :wink:

-JR
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2008, 1:28 pm

I'm 22, and have managed well enough on my own. Which is to say very poorly. :x

To be honest, I don't think I'd be able to get a diagnosis were I to sit through the proper tests. I've steadily eliminated many of the "wierd" parts of me, and have worked through some difficulties on my own. I pass for normal, I don't stand out. I "stim" steadily throughout the day, but there's very few things that actually would stand out to anyone paying attention. School was a nightmare, but do I go to school anymore? No. No more misunderstanding concepts, no more of that junk to worry about. Taking things "literally" was the worst problem, and that's mostly gone. Not being able to "hear" anybody was a big problem (having perfect hearing, just not understanding the words spoken), but that's only an occasional problem. Social gaffes, well, that's what understanding friends are for. And now that I'm an adult, I don't have to wear things I don't want to, I don't have to eat on a schedule, and can pretty much control what comes at me, and the "flow" of my life. Anxiety is still a major problem, if I were to seek help, I'd go in that direction.

3rd through 8th grades were not learning experiences for me. 9th through 12th had me THINKING I had it under control. Which I didn't. Imagine walking in a fog. Actually, imagine downtown Tokyo, or the most foreign place ever imagined, were there's a system you have to stick to in order to survive.

poopylungstuffing
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2008, 1:55 pm

NocturnalQuilter wrote:
poopylungstuffing wrote:

WOW! Search for another doctor! I was put into contact with a doctor who specializes in autism/Asperger's in adolescents and adults. Her day job is as a school counselor. At night she works with a group of doctors to help pay for her PhD. Her prices are lower than those of her peers. Check into alternatives. Or even check into nearby cities where the overall prices may be lower due to the fiscal demographics.

The person who assessed me seemed to indicate that I neednt bother taking the tests. She thought I was an aspie after a brief interview.

wrongshoes
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

17 Oct 2008, 3:56 pm

What exactly are the benefits of being officially diagnosed as an adult? As far as I know, where I live you don't get anything just for having a diagnosis.

pandd
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2008, 4:15 pm

NetNinja wrote:
Looking through this site there appears to be a large percentage of people saying they have AS but haven’t been diagnosed with it.

Why would anyone who has AS not be willing to get a proper diagnosis which in turn would allow them to receive the care and supported needed.

Why indeed? It's probably more consistent with reality to ask why would someone get a diagnosis when it will make little or no difference to their continued non-receipt of any care and support needed.
Quote:
What little care and support there is that is especially for adults.

Indeed.
Quote:
If the glove fits wear it and I am 100% AS and on many occasions I wish I weren’t
but now i am willing to accept the help available my life is more manageable

If not can you tell me why not?

I cant understand how someone would know untill told by someone who knows

If you have the information, how could you not know?

Quote:
Percentage wise I must have met someone with AS while out and about but to this day I have never knowingly met anyone with AS.
So I am sure I wouldn’t be able to tell if someone had AS or not
I truly believe only a truly qualified professional who’s field of expertise is adult behavioural problems could tell.
(Hind sight is 20 20 vision, with hindsight we would all know)

I have recognised people with autistic spectrum disorders as being 'on-spectrum' before the information was explicated. I also know of a girl I went to school with who must have been on-spectrum (although I knew nothing about it then). Back then if she had a dx it would likely have been PPD-NOS or perhaps NLD.

2ukenkerl
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2008, 4:45 pm

NetNinja wrote:
A few people are saying they have no need to label their self with AS but surly just by signing up to a site which is
the online resource and comm for autism and aspergers
you are doing exactly that??

ACTUALLY, you will notice that lately I have NOT posted between 8am and 5pm. WHY? So my boss will be less likely to suspect. In the US, it is ILLEGAL to release such info without a court order, so I am not so worried.

BTW I DID get in a car crash going to an ASPIE meeting! I DO meet a friend from time to time in indiana and SHE has AS also, and is NOT shy about it! I HAVE bought books on AS. I spoke knowledgeably to four people at work about AS, and showed interest in their kids diagnosis of AS. Frankly, I am almost surprised nobody asked me where I was!

So it isn't like I would deny it, etc...

makuranososhi
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2008, 10:23 pm

NetNinja wrote:
Looking through this site there appears to be a large percentage of people saying they have AS but haven’t been diagnosed with it.

Why would anyone who has AS not be willing to get a proper diagnosis which in turn would allow them to receive the care and supported needed.

What little care and support there is that is especially for adults.

If the glove fits wear it and I am 100% AS and on many occasions I wish I weren’t
but now i am willing to accept the help available my life is more manageable

If not can you tell me why not?

A few reasons... diagnosis can affect insurance availability and rates as a pre-existing condition; there is an absolute lack of individuals in my area who have experience with ASDs, much less diagnostic work with adults - I would imagine that is occurs elsewhere as well; sheer cost of the appointments when one does not have insurance; for some, perhaps a distrust of the field due to previous bad experiences. I learned about it through my son's diagnosis, and the understanding gained has helped me immensely... and in my current situation, it isn't a viable option. I have pursued finding someone qualified to no avail, so until I relocate and have myself situated, the only one who can help me is me.

M.

For those who seek an alternative, it is coming.

So long, and thanks for all the fish!

Xanderbeanz
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2008, 10:25 pm

getting diagnosed has opened up lots of help and councilling to me....plus i get a crap load more money off they government....

score?

poopylungstuffing
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2008, 10:32 pm

as I have stated before...I like to just be able to tell people without feeling like I am lying.
I often wig out in public.
I want to tell the ladies I work with at the bank...'cause I always have such a hard time when I go there...

FrogGirl
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

18 Oct 2008, 12:01 am

It is difficult to get a diagnosis once you are an adult, especially if you are a female. I know that i fit under the AS diagnoses criteria, but it is difficult, in my area, to find a Dr. who will evaluate anyone over 18 years old. kind of like it all goes away when you reach 18, NOT.

Xanderbeanz
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2008, 12:07 am

i like having my card which says "ATTENTION...THIS PERSON AS AN AUTISTIC SPECTRUM DISORDER"...i could probably punch a copper in the face and get away with it XD

Danielismyname
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2008, 12:28 am

I'm betting the biggest reason is that they don't actually need help from the government to live "independently". Well, I know I wouldn't bother with a diagnosis if I didn't have difficulties fitting into society (I'd be in the military).

musicforanna
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2008, 4:20 am

pbcoll wrote:
-In many people's minds, it's going to be 'diagnosed AS = certified lunatic/idiot/freak/defective/weirdo/creep'

And that's exactly what I hate about it.
pandd wrote:
I have recognised people with autistic spectrum disorders as being 'on-spectrum' before the information was explicated. I also know of a girl I went to school with who must have been on-spectrum (although I knew nothing about it then). Back then if she had a dx it would likely have been PPD-NOS or perhaps NLD.

Same here. And I could be buddies with these people for years before they told me that they were aspie. I suppose it takes one to know one.

makuranososhi wrote:
A few reasons... diagnosis can affect insurance availability and rates as a pre-existing condition.

I hate that. the whole not covering "pre-existing conditions" thing can jump off a bridge and die.

FrogGirl wrote:
It is difficult to get a diagnosis once you are an adult, especially if you are a female. I know that i fit under the AS diagnoses criteria, but it is difficult, in my area, to find a Dr. who will evaluate anyone over 18 years old. kind of like it all goes away when you reach 18, NOT.

I also wish more people realized that it wasn't something that just affected kids or just boys. I'm also a female aspie. I got my diagnosis at 17.