Unable to talk or communicate during meltdown?

Page 1 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

How is your communcation limited during meltdown?
Unable to talk or otherwise communcate 37%  37%  [ 16 ]
Unable to talk but can attempt other form of communcation 9%  9%  [ 4 ]
Communication has general hindrance 51%  51%  [ 22 ]
No hindrance to communication 2%  2%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 43

winterishere
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

25 May 2012, 12:21 am

Can you talk or attempt any other form of communication when you are having a meltdown?
I had a meltdown in class the other day and literally could not talk or otherwise communicate for almost 20 minutes.
Is this non communication normal?

iggy64
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

25 May 2012, 1:03 am

When I have a meltdown, I don't feel in control of my body anymore. I am just a passenger inside, and something else is making my body scream and punch walls, or whatever at the time. So communication would be impossible for me to attempt, as for all intents and purposes, I have no mouth or hands so I have no communication tools.

rebbieh
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2012, 1:08 am

iggy64 wrote:
When I have a meltdown, I don't feel in control of my body anymore. I am just a passenger inside, and something else is making my body scream and punch walls, or whatever at the time. So communication would be impossible for me to attempt, as for all intents and purposes, I have no mouth or hands so I have no communication tools.

I agree. Except for the first few minutes, I can't control what's happening during a meltdown. I never talk or communicate during meltdowns. I just hit/throw/kick things/myself etc.

EstherJ
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2012, 1:13 am

I usually can barely talk. Sometimes words come out, sometimes...nothing. Sometimes, out of character cursing. Then again, if I do say something, usually its repeated over and over.

Blownmind
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2012, 2:13 am

winterishere wrote:
-Unable to talk or otherwise communcate
-Unable to talk but can attempt other form of communcation
-Communication has general hindrance
-No hindrance to communication
None of the above.

I can talk, but it's kinda like when you are about to cry with a big lump in your throat. My voice gets all distorted, sortof...

Banquo
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

25 May 2012, 2:20 am

It really depends, however most times I have no reason to talk as I hide. When I am forced I can communicate but it is very difficult and makes things worse.

izzeme
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2012, 3:31 am

i can communicate, if i have to, but it takes up so much energy that it worsens my meltdown.
if i try to communicate, it is only a few words or gestures that mean something like "stay away from me"

AspieOtaku
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2012, 3:33 am

I can somewhat communicate but it tends to make things worse I will sometimes repeat the same phrase that has caused me to melt down and sometimes a lot of profanity and self insults are said followed by self harm if its real bad.

No matter where I go I will always be a Gaijin even at home. Like Anime? https://kissanime.to/AnimeList

yondoloki
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

25 May 2012, 3:46 am

I can talk, but it is very hard to me. During a meltdown I can say one or two words but I have to force them out. It's like my lips move but my voice won't come out. And when the word finally do come out, I talk so softly that people can't hear what I say.

Without love and disarming beauty
- Tuomas Holopainen, Nightwish

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2012, 7:21 am

I never have meltdowns. I have outbursts, and I am VERY verbal when I have outbursts. I scream, swear, argue, insult, the list goes on.

Atomsk
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2012, 7:36 am

During meltdowns I can talk, but I can't talk or argue rationally at all. Much of it is also just noises.

YellowBanana
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2012, 7:40 am

I chose the second option because I often lose speech in meltdown/shutdown but am usually able to communicate by typing. However there are occasions (like last week at the GP) when I am unable to communicate in any way at all. That earned me an emergency visit to the local psychiatric hospital but fortunately by the time I arrived there I was able to communicate by typing. It took another few hours for my speech to come back.

Tuttle
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2012, 1:14 pm

In meltdown I usually can talk but not communicate.

In shutdown I can usually communicate (with difficulty), but not talk.

AdamAutistic
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2012, 1:19 pm

i go into a blind screaming rage and i am unable to talk.

iheartmegahitt
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2012, 1:39 pm

My mind will shut down completely and according to my mom, I'm rocking and sobbing so much that it's nearly IMPOSSIBLE to even TRY to get me to calm down. So I chose the first option. I usually am too busy screaming and sobbing to even try to communicate... but it depends on what triggered my anxiety and sent me spiraling into a meltdown.

Most of the time, I don't like speaking during a meltdown or outburst because I get so peeved off that I'm too busy hollering and throwing myself to the ground in tears.

Diagnosed with an autistic disorder (Not AS but mild to moderate classic Autism), ADHD, Learning Disability, intellectual disability and severe anxiety (part of the autism); iPad user; written expressionist; emotionally-sensitive

FishStickNick
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2012, 2:20 pm

I have a hard time communicating verbally in both a shutdowns and meltdowns. I can type or write out my thoughts in a shutdown; in a meltdown, I'm usually in such a blind rage or so emotionally worked up that I can't get anything out.