No 31%  31%  [ 20 ]
I would consider myself an extrovert 2%  2%  [ 1 ]
I would consider myself an extrovert 2%  2%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 64

North
Raven
Raven

03 Dec 2005, 6:18 pm

Most people with AS tend to be relatively shy and introverted. I'm not sure if we're born this way, or we become introverts because of bad experiences during childhood in dealing with social situations. My question to you all is whether you like to keep to yourself, or wish you were more outgoing. Myself, I wish I wasn't so shy and nervous in talking to people. How do the rest of you feel?

SB2
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2005, 6:28 pm

I am introverted by design, thats why i voted no.

People to me are a burden, or an added responsibility that i do not have time for. There are so many things that i want to master or to learn, that i simply do not have time.
my current fascination is everything about PDD, Meds, Shrinks, and you people.

Would i want to hang out with you, NO. Because unfortunately you or any other people have a difficult time with comfortable silence. And when i am forced to waste hours and hours talking about the weather, i get real moody and angry. INEEDTOBEALONEWITHMYTHOUGHTS!
at least 3-5 hours per day, if not or if i have some social thing or other responsibility, then i am awake all night just to meet my quota.

North
Raven
Raven

03 Dec 2005, 6:39 pm

I too need some time to myself, but on the other hand, if I spend the entire day in my room, I get restless and need to get out. The key is balance.

MindOfOrderedChaos
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2005, 6:41 pm

Yes I do resent it. I can't really talk to people I don't know even if I want to. This makes it hard to meet any one.
I get usally about 24 hours a day to my self usally 7 days a week.

kevv729
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2005, 6:45 pm

I am so introverted for that makes Me, Me so. I don't care what others might think of Me to really matter what or who I am to even really care enough.

Serissa
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2005, 6:45 pm

I'm an ex-introvert and resent being extroverted, actually. It's like a betrayal of my former self. :P

SB2
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2005, 6:57 pm

cats are the only pets who lie

leftfield

fahreeq
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2005, 8:32 pm

SB2 wrote:
I am introverted by design, thats why i voted no.

People to me are a burden, or an added responsibility that i do not have time for.

And when i am forced to waste hours and hours talking about the weather, i get real moody and angry. INEEDTOBEALONEWITHMYTHOUGHTS!
at least 3-5 hours per day, if not or if i have some social thing or other responsibility, then i am awake all night just to meet my quota.

I'm the same way. I'm not resentful of my introversion. I'm resentful of the idea that I'm "broken" or "snobby" because being alone is my natural state. That is how I have been my entire life. I like solitary activities, and am known to do things like go out to eat or exercise alone.

There are differences in how the brain works in introverts and extroverts. A book called The Introvert Advantages has diagrams of these differences.

CDRhom
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

03 Dec 2005, 8:33 pm

Resenting being introverted seems rather like resenting having green eyes or brown hair. Usually I am quite comfortable with myself and enjoy long, cozy silences with my partner as we read in the same room.

Namiko
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2005, 8:35 pm

CDRhom wrote:
Resenting being introverted seems rather like resenting having green eyes or brown hair. Usually I am quite comfortable with myself and enjoy long, cozy silences with my partner as we read in the same room.

An interesting comparison, but it makes sense. I am an introvert. Sometimes I wish I was more extroverted, just to see what that would be like, but I know it wouldn't be me. I just have to leave it be and accept my introversion as a part of who I am. It is as much a part of me as any of my other quirks or personality traits.

Sean
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2005, 8:44 pm

I'm extremely introverted except for when I'm in a life of the party type of hypomanic phase. I usually end up pissing alot of people off that way though, including the moderators here on three noteworthy occasions. From what I've observed and experienced, AS people acting extroverted are usually either annoying or appear insane.

Lost
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

03 Dec 2005, 8:49 pm

Apart from the occaisonal moment of angst, I generally like being introverted. It means I don't have to worry about trying to control a complex social life. :)

en_una_isla
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2005, 9:04 pm

I resent it, because it makes so many things difficult, and as a parent there are situations where I really do have to deal with other people for the sake of my children, and it is extremely difficult :( .

Larval
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2005, 9:24 pm

I am introverted because I prefer to be by myself. I have no problems with talking to people or socially interacting with them.

Sometimes I do feel social anxiety but I more or less have complete control over it.

GalileoAce
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2005, 9:24 pm

I used to wish I was more like my sisters... I'd wish that I could go out and enjoy myself, I had been out doing similar stuff to what they did, but I couldn't enjoy it.. It did make me sad, but I've found other things to enjoy, like the Net, and video games... Oh yes I'm a geek :D

GA

lowfreq50
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2005, 10:23 pm

Yes of course I resent being introverted. Not being able to make friends and being left "out of the loop" is not a good thing.