Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

Mirror21
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2012, 12:24 am

Fear and Sadness are pretty strong emotions so is happiness for that matter. I tend to get pretty loud and hyper when I am in a happy mood and freak out, a great deal of something scares me or makes me upset. I sulk a lot and get distant and quiet when I am upset. Yesterday I was watching a movie with the fam (or early morn? still dark outside) and I am SCARED Of clowns and harlequins and such. If regular human faces make me thing of fish, imagine what those things look like!

So here I am, trying not to run away or cover myself and shriek until everyone can't enjoy the movie anymore so I start sketching (i have a small hard cover sketchbook I carry everywhere, even around the house these days) and lo and behold, I draw one of those creepy things. But it sure made me feel better.

I realize drawing has become a very strong way for me to communicate and express myself in terms of feelings, ideas, whatever. I used to write, a lot but I have discovered that lately I cannot use words that way in terms of expression. I can relate information, rather well as you can see by my diction, but when it comes to expressing inner . . . feeling stuff, I just can't. Drawing is like getting the stuff out of my head in a way that I can't put stuff together with words so I was curious as to what everyone else thought about that and what type of communication you prefer. sorry for the long tangent before I got to the point.

P.s.: Here is the creepy picture that helped worked out my stint of utter terror.

Nascaireacht
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

06 Dec 2012, 5:24 am

I think it's really great you can do that, I'm envious of your drawing ability. When I try to express feelings, I do it best on paper, followed by speaking. I've never managed to express feelings of any sort by drawing.

Mirror21
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2012, 5:53 am

Nascaireacht wrote:
I think it's really great you can do that, I'm envious of your drawing ability. When I try to express feelings, I do it best on paper, followed by speaking. I've never managed to express feelings of any sort by drawing.

How do you express them on paper?

Nascaireacht
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

06 Dec 2012, 2:07 pm

I just spill it all out, I dunno really! I suppose I write about what has happened and then what I feel about that. It's hard to describe, sorry!

AlmaBrown
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

06 Dec 2012, 2:31 pm

Nascaireacht wrote:

Ooh. I do this, too. I usually notice that I'm feeling something strongly (I usually have a hard time figuring out what it is or why though... Is that normal? Whatever) and then I write down whatever comes to mind. I use that to figure out what I'm feeling and what's bothering me.... I've been told that it's weird to be that out of touch with your emotions but eh....

Nascaireacht
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

06 Dec 2012, 4:51 pm

I wouldn't worry about whether it's normal or not! I get the impression that it's not unusual for people on the spectrum, so why not, if it works for you. I do need to edit sometimes, though. I write it down, and refine it, and I'm refining my thoughts at the same time. I find it very hard to think things through without writing, but I sometimes can do it, if I'm talking with someone who's trying to help me figure out what I feel.

Mirror21
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2012, 5:32 pm

AlmaBrown wrote:
I usually notice that I'm feeling something strongly (I usually have a hard time figuring out what it is or why though... Is that normal? Whatever)

That happens to me a lot but it usually ends up being frustration in the end. No matter what it was before, because if i do not notice it or handle it soon, frustration is the outcome.

kirayng
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2012, 5:37 pm

I tend to do it verbally to people I trust, which is only my husband these days. He calls it 'downloading'. lol! He's a great listener.

I used to draw, paint and write quite a lot; I wish I could get back into it.

Love your pic! :)

Nascaireacht
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

08 Dec 2012, 2:45 pm

I can only think things through in my head if I imagine I'm having a conversation with someone about it. I think I only realised that today while reading this discussion!

Ca2MgFe5Si8O22OH2
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

08 Dec 2012, 3:36 pm

I write stream of consciousness. once the emotions are down "on paper" (or screen, usually, since I can type much faster than I can write) I can eventually look at them and realize "hey, that stuff I was feeling...that's over there and I'm here now...I'm not what I think, I'm not what I feel, these things pass."

of course, it took me about 10 years of doing this constantly and several thousand pages to get to the point where I realized this, and it's not like I've mastered my emotions now. I just have a little more distance from them. meditation helps, too. if not so much in the moment of the emotion, it helps develop a mindset where when the emotion starts to happen you approach it differently.

Conversion Disorder, General/Social Anxiety Disorder, Major Depression