can there be an aspie with no talent or special interest?

Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

jus4u76
Raven
Raven

26 Nov 2008, 5:11 pm

im not sure what mine is. just doing nothing.

Last edited by jus4u76 on 26 Nov 2008, 5:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Chaotica
Veteran
Veteran

26 Nov 2008, 5:15 pm

well then, you must have a talent to have no special interest! :wink: (joke)
I have several interests, it's hard to say which one is dominating. I think the answer to your question can be "yes".

NocturnalQuilter
Veteran
Veteran

26 Nov 2008, 5:16 pm

I'd be interested in knowing if the level of special interests diminishes with age.
I had some rather acute interests when I was young- but as an adult I simply don't have the time to devote as I would prefer: 2 jobs, a house to take care of and a puppy that requires constant supervision. I can't imagine where I'd find the time to do anything else.

macushla
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

26 Nov 2008, 5:40 pm

jus4u76 wrote:

What is or was your favorite subjects at school?

It might not seem very special to you but someone else might see them as a special interest and wonder how you could find that subject interesting.

jus4u76
Raven
Raven

26 Nov 2008, 5:42 pm

macushla wrote:
jus4u76 wrote:

What is or was your favorite subjects at school?

It might not seem very special to you but someone else might see them as a special interest and wonder how you could find that subject interesting.

it was physical education and math for a long time.

elderwanda
Veteran
Veteran

26 Nov 2008, 5:42 pm

I don't remember having special interests as a kid.

One thing that always drove me nuts when filling out job applications was that they wanted me to list my talents and hobbies. One of the only times in my life that I've told a bold-faced lie was during a job interview at age 17 for a fast-food restaurant when I told the supervisor that I could sing. She asked me to tell her about hobbies and talents, and I had NONE. I was obsessed with Stevie Nicks, though, for some unfathomable reason, and sang along with the records, so I said I could sing. Why I need a "talent or hobby" to work at KFC, I can't begin to imagine. (I didn't get the job, thank God.)

My special interest is daydreaming about my favorite actor, but there's not much of a hobby there! If I lived alone, I'd put a pictures of him all over my wall, and watch his movies more often than I do, but we already have one aspie in the family who inflicts his special interest on everyone else, so I just keep it all in my head.

For the first time in my life I do have a couple of hobbies, and I tend to get wrapped up in them and forget to do the laundry or take the chicken out of the freezer, but I never thought of them as AS things. One of them is knitting. I recently learned, and I suppose I get a little weird about it. Another is making Lego movies, but I haven't been able to work on that lately. Once I get into it, though, I'm REALLY into it. The thing is, though, up until recently, I had no time for hobbies. At this point in my life, I do have a bit more free time than I used to, although it means neglecting housework. In early adulthood, I had no space or money for any hobby that involved actually doing anything.

pensieve
Veteran
Veteran

26 Nov 2008, 6:32 pm

jus4u76 wrote:

do you like music, TV, movies? Who's that in your avatar?

Chimchar
Toucan
Toucan

26 Nov 2008, 6:39 pm

I feel you. I don't have any talent at all. I'm not good at anything. Special interests are a waste of time to me.

Dantac
Veteran
Veteran

26 Nov 2008, 6:41 pm

Maybe you haven't found that special interest yet :)

Perhaps that 'doing nothing' means that, maybe, you daydream a lot.

Daydreaming is like writing short stories. Plot,location, etc.

If this is your case, maybe your special interest is storytelling or creating them. Try putting it on paper :)

Edit: Chimchar posted same time I did. And I *know* she has the talent I mentioned above. She writes great (just too shy to admit it to herself ;) ).

pakled
Veteran
Veteran

26 Nov 2008, 7:13 pm

well, it is a spectrum. You just might be one of us who doesn't fit all the categories...

You still have plenty of time to find your passion.

DJRnold
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

26 Nov 2008, 7:23 pm

I'm pretty sure I have no special autism-related talents. As for interests: I have many, and so none of them are as developed/fulfilled as a lot of Aspies' interests.

pensieve
Veteran
Veteran

26 Nov 2008, 7:33 pm

Dantac wrote:

If this is your case, maybe your special interest is storytelling or creating them. Try putting it on paper :)

Edit: Chimchar posted same time I did. And I *know* she has the talent I mentioned above. She writes great (just too shy to admit it to herself ;) ).

I wish I was a storyteller *sigh*. I can never get my stories down on paper.

jus4u76
Raven
Raven

26 Nov 2008, 9:41 pm

Dantac wrote:

IM NOT AN AUTHOR.

renaeden
Veteran
Veteran

26 Nov 2008, 10:31 pm

I don't have many interests and I have no obsessions. Part of the reason for this I think is because I take anti-depressant medication. It sort of dulls down obsessive tendencies hence why it is sometimes used for OCD.

I don't have any talents either. Some have said to me that I just haven't found it yet, but I am 31, so I think I would know by now?

Anyway, I understand what you mean.

happypuff
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

26 Nov 2008, 10:48 pm

I don't think I have any either.

I tried to read what exactly they were because it gets mentioned a fair bit and to me it just seemed like what they were explaining and the examples they gave were just normal interests. (ie in Tony Attwood's book). So maybe I do have these 'special interests' and just don't recognise it. *shrug*

Maybe our perception is just wrong :P. I don't see how I'm supposed to determine if my interests are more intense than the average person if this spectrum means we find it hard to see things from another person's perspective in the first place.

richardbenson
Xfractor Card #351
Xfractor Card #351

27 Nov 2008, 3:13 am

i dont know