Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

Loborojo
Veteran
Veteran

26 Nov 2008, 10:47 pm

ValMikeSmith wrote:
Loborojo, You go all over the world! Have you not seen anything more interesting being done under the sun by those in their 70's and 80's anywhere, than sitting around in a room? I would like to ask you a lot about what else you have seen in your life. Surely it is interesting to me!

Man, I have seen the colours of the rainbow ever since I set foot in Morocco at age 21. How people at age 80 are collecting firewood on their backs and stumble homeward in Pakistan, in India, in the Andes... and think of hwo I could never see my mum doing that.
To see people in tribal communities still take the word and get the respect for their wisdom and experience...we all lost that. Now that we have the technology we believe it is a must to cling on to life beyond dignity that death offers you....

CMaximus
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

26 Nov 2008, 11:00 pm

Yeah, our old-people mentality is just a self-perpetuating myth. You're only as old as you feel! (And if you feel like dying...) I'll probably still be playing games in a bachellor pad and all that in my old age, if I'm not wandering around some dystopian, war-torn future landscape like a generic sci-fi old guy who's grizzled, hardened, and has an eye-patch over a huge gash-scar.

richardbenson
Xfractor Card #351
Xfractor Card #351

27 Nov 2008, 3:30 am

i feel like a 90 year old already trapped in a 28 year olds body 8)

noahveil23
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

27 Nov 2008, 3:50 am

richardbenson wrote:
i feel like a 90 year old already trapped in a 28 year olds body 8)

Actually feel much older than that. And always limited by my body. P.K. Dicks "black iron prison" is always playing around the periphery of my thoughts. Although it's more often the more personal "this prison, flesh". Another recurring trope, the Tibetan aphorism "Dying all the time".

This always gets exacerbated around the passing of a beloved pet, like "willie the cat", yesterday. Now he is rapidly transmogrifying into and being subsumed by a lovely ficus.

My wife and I intend to take up sky diving when we "hit" our 70's. Then if we make it to 80, it's off to Pamplona. If we last the day we'll take up bull-fighting full time.

At any rate, the awareness of mortality is a crucial part of my practice of living. I am constantly preparing and anticipating my next encounter with the Bardo realms and, so that I may remain undistracted and at the proper moment vibrate the syllable "Ram".