Can ADHD this too, or is this just an Aspie thing?

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

Angnix
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2010, 5:19 pm

So basically after being told I have ADHD on top of the bipolar, I sort of tried to forget about Asperger's as a possibility, they said I wasn't picking up on social cues, but not Asperger's.

But then... I asked my aunt what social stuff I was missing. She doesn't know about Asperger's but she said I don't small talk, I only talk about me or topics that interest me, and also a side note that I apologize at inappropriate times and I don't know when to do it. She said that was scaring off people and not wanting them to approach me.

So I thought I was doing better than that at the social stuff!! !! Could someone with that sort of diagnosis I have exhibit that, or is this indeed an Aspie thing?

Though since I can do eye contact and facial expressions, that still raises doubts.

Avatar: A Shiny from the new Pokemon Pearl remake, Shiny Chatot... I named him TaterTot...

FINALLY diagnosed with ASD 2/6/2020

katzefrau
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2010, 5:28 pm

schizoaffective + ADHD + avoidant + bipolar?

Angnix, get a different doctor. find one who really knows AS in girls.

you may or may not have AS but get another opinion. because if you do have AS you don't want to spend the rest of your life being misdiagnosed and treated for the wrong things.

zen_mistress
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2010, 6:04 pm

Agreed! You dont sound that different to me in your social presentation. You should at least get some sort of PDD diagnosis, if not AS IMO.

Taking a break.

Angnix
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2010, 6:48 pm

I'm only being treated right now for Bipolar, which I do have and need medicine for. They actually said I got Schizoaffective for being Bipolar with social issues and I don't have schizophrenia, but everything I read on the internet says schizoaffective is schizophrenia with some mood components, and nothing about social issues.

But yeah, that's the only doctor covered by my medicaid. They are not AS experts or see it very much, my therapist said he had a couple of AS teen boys as patients and I didn't display the same problems as them. I've asked to be evaluated by AS experts before and it's a lot of money.

Avatar: A Shiny from the new Pokemon Pearl remake, Shiny Chatot... I named him TaterTot...

FINALLY diagnosed with ASD 2/6/2020

MotownDangerPants
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2010, 8:41 am

Last edited by MotownDangerPants on 27 Jun 2010, 8:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

MotownDangerPants
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2010, 8:42 am

It does sound like you're getting way too many DXs. I was misdiagnosed with bipolar disorder about 6 years ago. I knew that I probably didn't have it but it was clear that it wasn't up for debate, once you get that DX any thing you might have to say is considered incorrigible. The most recent doc I went to said that I probably don't have Bipolar disorder(duh) but they don't know what to label me with. AS was discussed when i was around 10 which is kind of ODD because it was 1995 but I had much more obvious AS behavior then. Anyway it hasn't been discussed with any docs since.

Just because you can make eye contact and have facial expressions doesn't mean a DX should be ruled out. You sound like a nice and pretty coherent person, I hate seeing people getting doped up on a bunch of different meds that may not even help them or could make them worse because doctors aren't taking the time to figure out what's really going on with their patients or refer them to someone who might. Wouldn't your Medicaid at least cover a different psychiatrist? Even if you can't see the experts it'd be better than the doc you're seeing now. The fact that they would say you can't have it because you aren't displaying the same symptoms as teenage boys is just ridiculous.

Meow101
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2010, 10:29 am

I agree with all of the above. I have ADHD too, and don't have bipolar (although prone to depression), but apologizing when it's not appropriate, not making small talk, etc, are all similar to me as well. I do have facial expressions and I've learned to fake eye contact if I have to. AS can be very different in females, as we all know, so hopefully you can find a doc who *knows* that...

~Kate

Si tot mai multe cere.
--Mihai Eminescu