Page 14 of 22 [ 347 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17 ... 22  Next

jocundthelilac
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jan 2010, 12:01 pm

I MAY have NLD, or combined AS/dyspraxia.

However, I've never been officially diagnosed with NLD.

Magnús Scheving is my Icelandic rose :)

InaWoodenHouse
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

06 Jan 2010, 9:13 pm

TrickTrick wrote:
I think obsessions are pretty common with NLD'ers, too. Right now, it's all about Coheed and Cambria, and William Gibson.

I don't think I'm really all that close to Asperger's - when I meet people with Asperger's, I know that they are "they same," but at the same time they are also a lot "different." It's hard to explain.

Congratulations on being the first person that I've ever "met" that also has NLD! :lol:

Hmm, yeah, I see what you mean. It's just that sometimes when I read descriptions about AS, and then descriptions of NLD, I often identify a lot more with the AS descriptions. But I wouldn't want to officially get reevaluated and potentially receive a different diagnosis, however- I've been living with the idea of NLD for 10 years now, and I don't like change, to say the least :P It would probably help if more people knew about/researched NLD- it's ridiculous how little there is out there! :roll:

But sometimes I just get so frustrated with my obsessiveness, because it just takes over my life. Luckily I'm surrounded by people who understand, but sometimes I just want to tear my hair out because I can't stop thinking about my obsessions! I talk about them nonstop all day, and then I go to sleep and dream about them, and then I wake up and it starts all over again... argh!

Lightning88
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2010, 4:36 am

It's been absolutely ages since I've posted anything, so here it goes...

I have NLD. I was originally diagnosed with AS, but I'm the complete opposite of a lot of things, so I was re-diagnosed a few years later. And I don't have an official diagnosis of OCD yet, but we're very certain I have it. My first memory of that was when I was just one and a half. I'd say that's pretty young.

Anyway, really the only thing I have that has to do with AS is the obsessions. But that's usually only with TV shows and movies and stuff like that, nothing like trains or astrophysics or the like. I think those would probably put me to sleep ; )

Unlike AS, I am extremely good at eye contact. I don't recall ever having any problems with it and I've been told a few times it's the best some people have ever seen. It's also really helped me in my beauty pageants because you have to maintain good eye contact with the judges and there's always more than one of them.

However, I definitely have the face blindness issue. I am absolutely terrible with recognizing people. I'm also just as bad with remembering names, so that's a lose/lose situation. It really, really hurt me when I was dealing with bullies when I was younger. And at one school district, it just seemed like everyone looked the same to me so that was even worse there.

I also did not start speaking regularly until I was four. I was capable of it when I was younger (I could read words out loud when I was two), but oddly enough, I was too afraid to speak because I was afraid of messing up and making a fool of myself. I was an extreme perfectionist when I was little with everything I did. I am today to a degree, but not nearly as much.

School was always either great or horrible, never anything inbetween. I was either extremely popular or the most hated kid in school. It all depended on the location and what grade it was. I spent most of my childhood in what would be considered an inner-city school district. But I can definitely say I got some street smarts out of that. We actually have a lot of money, but my mom wanted to be close to her parents after a bad divorce down in Houston. Those schools actually weren't as bad as the school I went to after that, though, which was all-white (I'm white, too, but I'm used to everyone being different cultures.). That's the school like I said earlier where I thought everyone looked the same, therefore faces would be a problem. They all also had that German build to them and the fake blonde hair thing going on.

When I was starting out in school, the subjects were all so easy to me, I was often very bored. Then they pulled me out of some of the subjects of mainstreaming in second grade and that really did hurt me. After a while, I figured out I was either extremely good at a school subject, like English, or really bad at a school district, like math. I could either learn it instantly and remember it forever or sit there for three hours and not soak in a single thing. That ended up making school really, really hard for me. I have an IQ at 138, but I don't feel like I do. I think I'm just really good at making educated guesses when I don't know the real answers. I passed a college admissions test with flying colors last year doing this. They acted like I had the highest score that they ever saw. But then when I did their class placement tests, I didn't do so hot on those, with the exception of language arts and typing.

When it comes to people, I am very social and have no problems at all meeting new people. Heck, I love meeting new people! Actually, when I see others talking and they're not involving me, I get deeply jealous. I'm all alone at the moment with no friends in the area (everyone here is stupid) and my bf recently broke up with me, so I'm not really all that thrilled about being alone. I hate it. I also love getting attention, as long as it isn't negative. Nothing is worth that.

I'm the type of person that can't stand being cooped up all day or following a routine. I get bored very, very quickly and I love to mix things up. I need to be able to get out and go shopping, go to the zoo, the movies, wherever. I figured out I went to the mall 109 times last year, a lot of those times just to get out and do something. I don't have any sensory issues (other than a bad one with pain) so none of those things bother me in the least.

I could say a ton more, but I think that really about covers it. If you made it this far, thanks for reading! Please comment and tell me what you think! :)

InaWoodenHouse
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

10 Jan 2010, 11:52 am

Wow, we're VERY different! I'm fine at socializing now, but I always prefer being alone to being with people. It's easier and less stressful, and with my obsessions I can keep myself occupied forever. I also do my best to have a routine, and to not break it if I can possibly help it! I hate change :(

exhausted
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2010, 12:44 pm

i think i'm more classically NLD. there's a huge rift between what i can do verbally and performance iq. math, directions, left-right have always been a struggle. also, my obsessions seem to shift over time. i don't have one overriding interest.

but i also wonder about things like stimming, (mild) sensory issues, etc.: i don't know if those are considered more NLD or more AS. (i do stim, have had shifting sensory issues over time.) i think i also have some significant struggles with reading body language, facial expressions., etc. issues with coordination and balance were fairly apparent when i was a child, but they are much less severe now.

i also have recently learned that difficulties with depth perception, peripheral vision aren't uncommon on the autism spectrum. i've wondered about both these difficulties in me.

i do agree that it's often a continuum--AS and NLD. i sometimes wonder why NLD isn't included on the spectrum. it seems more similar to AS than not.

ASdogGeek
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2010, 11:47 pm

Does anyone know if NVLD qill be inclueded in the DSM V, and if so will it be put on the autism spectrum?

as for my prevous post my resualts are in I havee PDD-NOS though NVLD captures my strengths and weaknessses my history and presentation support a PDD-NOS diagnosis.

I do fine at math but I take a REAL LONG time to do it. (I process slowly but i do understand it and can do it) I also am fine with vissuals for math like charts and graphs and I have heard people with NVLD have alot of trouble with those.

Lightning88
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2010, 6:58 pm

InaWoodenHouse wrote:
Wow, we're VERY different! I'm fine at socializing now, but I always prefer being alone to being with people. It's easier and less stressful, and with my obsessions I can keep myself occupied forever. I also do my best to have a routine, and to not break it if I can possibly help it! I hate change :(

Well, I think that since I'm always by myself anyway (I just sit around at home all day- can't find a job), I'm kinda desperate to get out there and meet people. I have no problems at all speaking to someone new. I was also in daycare a ton when I was little, so I think that also helped my social skills by a long-shot :wink:

GrandFunk
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

12 Jan 2010, 10:04 pm

There are three NLD groups on Facebook.

They are not real active, but neither is this thread.

Just sign up with Facebook and do the search.

Woodenhouse, your obsessions sure make you sound like you have Asperger.

Cowgasm
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

13 Jan 2010, 8:16 pm

ASdogGeek wrote:
I do fine at math but I take a REAL LONG time to do it. (I process slowly but i do understand it and can do it) I also am fine with visuals for math like charts and graphs and I have heard people with NVLD have alot of trouble with those.

This sounds exactly like me. I would do so much better on math tests if I were given extra time, but all it says on my IEP isthat I'm gifted, nothing about extra time on tests.

LostInSpace
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2010, 7:21 pm

TrickTrick wrote:
I am looking for sites for adults who have NLD (I'm 22), and can't find many. I'm thinking of starting one, actually.

But is NLD considered to be on the autistic spectrum?

If you do, please try to let all of us know. I would love to be able to join an NLD forum.

No, NLD is not generally considered to be on the spectrum, although some people think it should be.

Blue Jay
Blue Jay

18 Jan 2010, 6:21 am

Does anyone know if having headaches most of the time is something connected with NLD?

Do people with NLD have problems with eye-contact too?

Thanks in advance for your insights!

Lightning88
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2010, 10:55 pm

0031 wrote:
Does anyone know if having headaches most of the time is something connected with NLD?

I have NLD and I never get headaches or have problems with eye contact :wink:

InaWoodenHouse
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

18 Jan 2010, 11:29 pm

0031 wrote:

hmmm, well I get migraines but that's something I inherited from my mom, not something NLD-related.

I have problems with eye contact, but when I was younger I got some help with it so I'm not as bad at making eye contact as I used to be! :)

buryuntime
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2010, 11:35 pm

I still do not get the difference between NVLD and autism. Someone said they didn't have obsessive interests, made good eye contact, liked to socialize, but had trouble recognizing people. So, then, what DO NLD's have problems with and how is it different than autism?

I mean, I've read about NLD. People either describe it as almost the same thing as autism or it sounds like a lot of opposites. I don't even think it exists anymore.

Lightning88
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2010, 12:42 am

buryuntime wrote:
I still do not get the difference between NVLD and autism. Someone said they didn't have obsessive interests, made good eye contact, liked to socialize, but had trouble recognizing people. So, then, what DO NLD's have problems with and how is it different than autism?

I mean, I've read about NLD. People either describe it as almost the same thing as autism or it sounds like a lot of opposites. I don't even think it exists anymore.

You read it wrong. I said I do have obsessive interests :wink:

ilivinamushroom
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

22 Jan 2010, 11:25 am

LostInSpace wrote:
Short description of NLD (nonverbal learning disorder) for quick reference:

Condition involving a pattern of average or advanced verbal abilities combined with deficits in nonverbal areas such as motor coordination, visual and spatial processing, and social skills.

If you want to learn more, read on:

Nonverbal learning disorder (or nonverbal learning disability) refers to a condition in which individuals exhibit strengths in verbal abilities and weaknesses in nonverbal processing. Usually abbreviated as either NLD or NVLD, this disorder was first described by Johnson and Myklebust in the late 60s. Despite the fact that the term “nonverbal learning disorder” has existed in psychology for over forty years, it has only begun to gain greater recognition in the last decade, and is not included in the current version of the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders (DSM-IV-TR). The following is a short list of the strengths and weaknesses associated with NLD:

Strengths:

Decoding (word-reading)
Rote memory (memory for facts)
Verbal reasoning
Vocabulary
General linguistic ability

Weaknesses:

Motor coordination
Social skills
Ability to understand nonverbal communication
Visual and spatial processing
Sense of direction
Mathematics (especially application of abstract concepts)
Executive functioning (attention, organization, planning, prioritizing)
Writing skills (especially organization of ideas) and reading comprehension

General characteristics of NLDers:

Verbal IQ is often much higher than Performance IQ
Reliance on verbal mediation (“talking oneself through a task”)
Focus on details while missing the big picture
Difficulty with sarcasm and a tendency towards literal thinking
Preference for routine and difficulty with novelty or change
May appear naïve and gullible
Very prone to anxiety and depression

Relationship to ADHD and AS:

As you can see, NLD shares some traits with both ADHD and Asperger syndrome.
Some individuals with NLD also meet the diagnostic criteria for ADHD, but in addition to problems with executive functioning also exhibit marked difficulties with visual and spatial processing, and have difficulty dealing with change. Additionally, individuals with ADHD may have attentional deficits which are “impulsive” or “distractible” while NLDers may be able to sustain focus, but have difficulty knowing exactly what to focus on (this has been described as “desultory attention”). Finally, attentional difficulties in ADHD tend to persist across both auditory and visual streams of information, while in NLD auditory attention is usually markedly better than visual attention.

Currently, individuals who display the above NLD traits but do not exhibit the “special interest” of AS are diagnosed as NLD. Individuals with AS may have more severe problems with social skills and are more likely to exhibit “autistic” traits such as lack of imaginary play, while those with NLD may have more severe deficits in visual and spatial processing. Individuals with AS may also meet the criteria for NLD, but the AS diagnosis “trumps” the NLD one (just as AS trumps ADHD). It should be noted that some researchers believe that NLD and AS are different terms to describe the same population, and others think that AS should be included on the extreme end of an “NLD spectrum” rather than as part of the “autistic spectrum.” Hopefully improved clarity in differential diagnosis will be forthcoming as more is known about the organic and neurological components of these conditions.

Diagnosis:

The academic impact of NLD may not become visible until later elementary school, when comprehension of concepts begins to be more important than rote learning (especially in mathematics). This is also when social difficulties may become more pronounced. As with any learning disability, mild cases, especially in individuals with high intelligence who have learned to compensate for nonverbal deficits, may go unnoticed until the individual begins struggling in higher education, such as college or graduate school. In other cases, NLDers may have been misdiagnosed as ADHD, emotionally disturbed, or given the general label Learning Disability-NOS (not otherwise specified). Even today, NLD is not well known by educators (although this is changing), and the process of diagnosis can be tricky. Usually central to the diagnosis of NLD is neuropsychological testing, which examines specific cognitive abilities to identify a distinct pattern of strengths and weaknesses. Some tests which are frequently used are intelligence tests, the Rey-Osterrieth Complex Figure, the Judgment of Line Orientation Test, the Grooved Pegboard Test, and sections of the Halstead-Reitan Neuropsychological Battery, along with other tests of verbal and nonverbal ability.

NLD’s status as a distinct clinical entity is still unclear, and lack of inclusion in the DSM means that no standardized criteria have yet been developed. What is clear is that not all individuals with a recognizable NLD profile fit every single proposed characteristic, and thus various “NLD subtypes” have been suggested which take into account the different “spheres” of deficit in NLD, such as motor skills, executive functioning, visual-spatial processing, and social communication. As stated on the NLDline website: “It is important to note… that no two children who meet this diagnosis criteria are the same. For some children the problem may rest predominantly with their maths and handwriting. For others it may be more organisation, attention, behaviour and social skills. For some the motor problems are significant whilst for others they are non-existent.”
NLD will likely be included as a diagnosis in the next revision of the DSM (due to be released in 2012), at which point standardized criteria will have been created, and a decision will have been made about which traits are necessary for diagnosis and which are merely comorbid characteristics or common sequelae. As with autism and Asperger syndrome however, the diagnostic criteria of NLD will likely be evolving for quite some time.

Something I would like to add to this is that in children with NLD they often speak and read much earlier. My son has an AS diagnosis but I am going to talks to his neuro psych. about
NLD this fits him to a tee. He spoke 3 words clearly at 9mo and is 7 reading at a 5th grade level; his social skills are poor but nothing like mine as a child.