Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

ssenkrad
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

04 Dec 2008, 5:21 am

By bike, of course, I mean motorcycle. I've been toying around with the idea of getting a cheap one (~$2000) just to have fun with and offset some of the fuel costs of my car. If you do ride or have ridden in the past I'd like to hear about your experiences.

prillix
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

04 Dec 2008, 8:57 am

when summer hits im gonna pick me up an enduro, its gonna be sweet.

poopylungstuffing
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2008, 12:33 pm

I have 2 bicycles...a Trek and a Redline. I have a phobia about motorcycles...I was in a wreck when I was little.

kattoo13
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

04 Dec 2008, 12:58 pm

love cycling. over the summer, my 9 year old son and i went for a 12 mile bike ride :wink:

04 Dec 2008, 1:08 pm

I used to but I don't anymore.

sartresue
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2008, 1:09 pm

Easy rider topic

Too much ice and snow here in Barrie, Ontario. Now I have to wait until spring!! :(

Phuture Phounder of the Philosophy Phactory

NOT a believer of Mystic Woo-Woo

mikebw
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2008, 1:22 pm

Motorcyclists drop like flies out here, almost every other week I see a bike that's been hit. If I did get a motor bike I'd go for a three wheeler, I never see them hit. But a moped/scooter/bike is just too dangerous with these wacko drivers out here. If you do get a bike, make sure you've got some excellent protection! Good leathers and all that will cost more than a thousand, but your life's worth it I should think.

I've been thinking about going for a bicycle or tricycle and riding on the sidewalk. But I think 20 miles a day is a bit much, so I'll stick with a car.

http://www.imdb.com/user/ur3140151/ratings = My Movie Vote History

anna-banana
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2008, 1:36 pm

I'd love to ride a real badass bike. but I guess I'd rather live...

ssenkrad
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

05 Dec 2008, 12:40 am

mikebw wrote:
Motorcyclists drop like flies out here, almost every other week I see a bike that's been hit. If I did get a motor bike I'd go for a three wheeler, I never see them hit. But a moped/scooter/bike is just too dangerous with these wacko drivers out here. If you do get a bike, make sure you've got some excellent protection! Good leathers and all that will cost more than a thousand, but your life's worth it I should think.

I've been thinking about going for a bicycle or tricycle and riding on the sidewalk. But I think 20 miles a day is a bit much, so I'll stick with a car.

What part of Florida do you live in? I live in a somewhat unpopulated area of Arizona, so the traffic's not a real concern. Plus, the drivers here are worlds better than California drivers (though that's not saying much). Yeah, definitely planning to look into armor if I pick up a bike.

OT, I think the decision would eventually make financial sense too. I drive a big ol' 91 Buick with the 3.8... had her since my freshman year of college (I'm a junior now). It's been a great car, plenty reliable, low miles, and I don't plan to get rid of her.. but at the same time I'm only pulling around 16mpg around town. Most of my commutes are only ~18 miles round trip to work and back, not too far to ride a bike. Plus my car has plenty of power to pull a flatbed trailer if I have to relocate. Yey, now I gotta start saving up.

Fidget
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

05 Dec 2008, 1:13 am

I do ride motorcycles, I do not however drive them. :P

garyww
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2008, 2:09 am

Bikes (motorcycles) make sense as long as you watch out for the people driving cages. I've been hit a couple of times over the years. Don't try to be a dare devil and all should be fine if you're alert which most of us are by nature.

AspE
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2008, 2:18 am

I ride a Kawasaki Super Sherpa, 250cc dual-purpose bike. It's fantastic, gets over 60mpg, and can go almost anywhere a mountain bike can go, and it's fine up to 70mph on the highway. I would never ride it in Florida, though. I live in Oregon.

SMARTIE
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

05 Dec 2008, 7:19 am

I used to ride a lovely old Vespa untill it was written off when I had my accident 6 years ago this month.
However I have a friend who has a Triumph Daytona 600 at the moment, which I often sit on the back of, and I am now looking at getting a bike again. This time it will be a larger scooter or small bike.
They are so much fun :wink:

Wrackspurt
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2008, 7:24 am

I've always wanted one. My mum said when I was four I asked for a green motorbike for Christmas. My grandfather used to have a Triumph too (love them!) so it's kidded in my family that it's in my blood. Never had one yet. I was tempted during this recent gas crisis, but then one of my computer repair friends was run over by an SUV. He's now in a chair... It's not your own riding, it's the other people on the road. I still really want a dirt bike, but the accident changed my view on the safety of street bikes. Be safe guys.

beef_bourito
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2008, 8:54 am

i want to get a motorcycle license and a bike but i can't afford a bike right now so it'll probably have to wait until after i graduate.

PunkyKat
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2008, 2:16 pm

I can't ride a bycycle so a motorcycle is out of the question.