Are there resources to learn the following:

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

happypuff
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

08 Dec 2008, 1:23 am

This is probably a stupid thread. I tried using the search function, and google in general first.
I also know there is this thing called practise in RL, I want to supplement the practise to learn faster.

-Is there something like The Complete Guide to Neurotypicals. It is all well and good for me to read over this year that several things I thought were completely normal are only experienced by me, so tell me, how does the rest of the world act then? How do they approach things if they're not using my unique way? How am I meant to relate to them if I don't know how they think, if I am 'different'. Is there anything that aids us to help understand their world?
-A guide to conversational skills, from small talk to how to introduce new topics when old one is dying right through to how to drive a conversation about deep+meaningful things. In year 11 a teacher told me that I need to use open ended questions and also picked up that I was throwing out saying lots of things because I already knew the answer (ie I know what subjects someone has on today because I asked them a week ago, so there is no point in asking, but apparently you still do this because it shows you are interested in them and you are making conversation). Its been the most valuable advice I've ever gotten, simply put I want more of it.
-How to read non verbal communication (I reckon that would be pretty hard to explain). The other day someone told me over the phone that I was upset so instead of denying it I tried asking them how they knew and he said from my voice. Then he was demonstrating what a happy + sad voice sounded like and I got those two examples but I feel very jealous now that others can pick up on so much that I didn't even know was there! I would love video examples if such a thing exists :P

If I think of more I'll post it :P Also if anything doesn't make sense, tell me and I'll try to elaborate

ValMikeSmith
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2008, 1:48 am

A quick search turned up this which looks it might be an interesting place to start.

http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/155816/body_language_and_eye_contact_what.html

Many links to similar content there. Might be a social wikipedia type thing.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2008, 1:47 pm

I'd love to be able to find a guide like that. It would help me to understand why they act the way that they do, or they all like the latest thing that popular culture has to offer, or they have to wear what everybody else is wearing, or why the females talk like Valley Girls, no matter who they're talking to.

ephemerella
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2008, 1:52 pm

You can go to YouTube and search on things like "body language". These will have visuals to accompany text.

E.g. "How to Read Body Language : How to Tell if Someone is Lying in Body Language"

The above, for example, is good for not only learning how to read signals if they are not being straight, but also may help you learn how not to unintentionally do things that NTs read as dishonest or shifty.

There are a few good body language and small talk videos on YouTube.

makuranososhi
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2008, 1:54 pm

Tonal language helps, too - theatre and voice can help there to learn some common inflections (raising pitch at the end of a sentence, talking through closed teeth, etc) that were invaluable to me getting started.

M.

For those who seek an alternative, it is coming.

So long, and thanks for all the fish!

Prof_Pretorius
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2008, 2:02 pm

"The Field Guide to NeuroTypicals", being a conpendium of how to identify them, their unique language, and mating habits.

Mage
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2008, 2:03 pm

They don't make Skillstreaming sets for the adult as far as I know, but you can check out the Skillstreaming book for adolescents at your local library probably. If not you can buy it on line. Here is the book I'm talking about: http://www.researchpress.com/product/item/4954/

Another thing you might want to do some google searches on is customs and etiquette of the country you live in. For example, I googled for America and came up with this site:

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Travel-g191- ... uette.html

It gives a lot of helpful hints on everyday situations that have unwritten rules (now written!)

"Personal space. Americans usually talk to each other from a distance of about two feet (.6 meters); any closer is viewed as uncomfortable. (Closer contact is reserved for closer accquaintances-the barrier shall break down as they get to know you.) "