Page 1 of 3 [ 37 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

SpongeBobRocksMao
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2008, 12:48 pm

Anybody else think it's easier to talk online than in real life?
Well it seems like that for me, I'm unsocial and shy in real life yet online the way I say stuff is completly different and more confident. In real life I often get nervous and forget what to say.
Is this similar for anybody else?

SpongeBobRocksMao!

29 Nov 2008, 12:50 pm

Yes, I find online easier. Things don't come out wrong. I rarely type something stupid and not know it when I meant to ask something else.

Puppet
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

29 Nov 2008, 12:57 pm

Honestly, I think talking to the walls and door to be easier than either.

ReGiFroFoLa
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2008, 12:57 pm

Indeed. Online I can say anything and everything and share my thoughts with others. In reality - I get stuck in those thoughts, don't know what to say, I'm missing words and I'm all so shaky and anxious... I'm shy and withdrawn. Online it doesn't matter. Don't know why.

richardbenson
Xfractor Card #351
Xfractor Card #351

29 Nov 2008, 12:59 pm

yes. thats why i have 9,000 + posts

i_wanna_blue
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2008, 1:03 pm

[quote="SpongeBobRocksMao"]Anybody else think it's easier to talk online than in real life?
quote]
Definately

Hector
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2008, 1:03 pm

I probably come across as much less awkward online.

AmberEyes
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2008, 1:37 pm

It's easier online because you can plan what you're going to say without the intimidation of face to face conversation.

You can also edit/update what you have written if you choose to.

You don't have to worry about projecting yourself correctly with body language and voice volume because it's written communication.

It's more straightforward online and you don't have to "warm up" or put people at ease as much.

You can get straight to the point without sounding too abrupt.

You can also easily reference anything you've read about/researched and provide the reader with direct links to websites and pictures.

You can't do that as well in normal conversation!

sisyphusstone
Butterfly
Butterfly

29 Nov 2008, 1:44 pm

Yes, it's easier online than face to face because when I write I can "plan" ahead what I'm going to write or say... but when I'm speaking face to face sometimes I lack the words or when I do have the words, people don't get the message... =/ Of course, this doesn't happens with close friends or with family (ei, my mom or dad or sisters).

Death_of_Pathos
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

29 Nov 2008, 1:46 pm

I don't stutter when I type.

QED

Sorenna
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2008, 3:25 pm

Yes, there are no awkward moments, don't have to worry about seeming sane, etc.....

CelticRose
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2008, 3:30 pm

AmberEyes wrote:
It's easier online because you can plan what you're going to say without the intimidation of face to face conversation.

You can also edit/update what you have written if you choose to.

You don't have to worry about projecting yourself correctly with body language and voice volume because it's written communication.

It's more straightforward online and you don't have to "warm up" or put people at ease as much.

You can get straight to the point without sounding too abrupt.

You can also easily reference anything you've read about/researched and provide the reader with direct links to websites and pictures.

You can't do that as well in normal conversation!

QFT

On the other hand, I do miss immediate laughter in response to a joke.

Autism Speaks does not speak for me. I am appalled to discover that Alex Plank has allied himself with an organization that is dedicated to eliminating autistic people. I no longer wish to have anything to do with Wrong Planet. Delete this account.

happypuff
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

29 Nov 2008, 4:45 pm

-there is no chance I can mishear or need you to repeat 3-4 times what you type
-if I am really struggling to think of a response, online you can buy yourself more time to think by saying 'brb' or similar - this gives you 5 minutes to come up with your reply :D

Also I notice that if I write, my vocabulary seems to at least double in size. If there's something profound I need to tell you, let me do it on a computer.

neshamaruach
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2008, 6:20 pm

SpongeBobRocksMao wrote:
Anybody else think it's easier to talk online than in real life?
Well it seems like that for me, I'm unsocial and shy in real life yet online the way I say stuff is completly different and more confident. In real life I often get nervous and forget what to say.
Is this similar for anybody else?

Absolutely. I express myself so much better in print than verbally. When I speak, I either stutter, go entirely mute, or keep repeating the same thing over and over because I don't know whether I'll be understood. Here, I don't stutter, I definitely don't go mute, and if I repeat myself, I notice it and edit down what I want to say. But I don't feel a great need to repeat very much on WP, because people seem to understand what I mean the first time.

NY_funnydude23
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

29 Nov 2008, 6:34 pm

Yup. online I don't mix up words and sound like a dork.