Page 1 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

FireBird
Veteran
Veteran

09 Dec 2008, 8:27 pm

I have this vision and I will make a difference in the world.....hopefully. I want to change people's views on the way they look at people with disabilities. Right now people think they can't do much and are useless in society. That surely isn't the case. I'm disabled myself and I'm living proof that miracles can happen. When I was first diagnosed with autism at age 5, a panel of doctors told my parents that I would never make friends, never go to school or college, never make anything of myself and finally ended it with a terrible thing...I would have to be put away in some institution. Of course, I proved all the doctors wrong. Let's see, I own my own business, I have many friends, have even flown planes, graduated college with honors and more. I want to prove to people that anything is possible if you put your mind to it. Miracles are real and it happened to me. When I was first diagnosed, I would scream at everything, very little language, no eye contact, rocking back and forth, all the classic autistic symptoms. That was until I got a dog named Lady because I was fixating on the movie Lady and the Tramp. The next day I started talking to people on the bus. If there are any parents on here listening to me and have an autistic child, believe in them. Disabled people have goals, talents, and dreams just like the so called "normal" people. I want people to view others with disabilities as worthy people that has just as much capability as others. I had a speech a few days ago and so many people were inspired by my story. In fact, I am going to be in 3 magazines and was accepted into an international book for autistic artists called Artism Anew..you can Google it as Artism Today I am on the second page with the bird in the sunset. I really want to speak at autism and mental health conferences to inspire hope into families and people with disabilities. I want to change their lives for the better. Follow your dreams, it can take you anywhere! What the greatest thing is, I have a contact in New York that is getting me in art auctions, art galleries, and even possibly speaking at the UN for World Autism Awareness Day on April 2nd. If you want to see my art, go to www.crittersonthings.com I have over 300 images of animals and landscapes. Mainly animals. When my business gets big enough, I will donate money to the Autism Society, NAMI, and animal organizations so I can make a difference there as well. Just a few years ago I was terrified of posting online about myself and my ideas and now look! When people talk to me, they have no clue that I am autistic because of the miracle that happened. I want to travel around the world spreading my message. I made people cry at my recent speech because it was so inspirational and afterwards many people told me how inspiring my story really is and how I helped them. My art has also helped me get "out" of autism. This is how I connect to the world is through animals and art. My art is currently selling in about 20 stores and it will grow dramatically next year with major zoos ordering. I am also in galleries all over my area. I know what some people will say, one person can't make a difference. If I put enough energy and time in it I will at least make a small difference in the world for the good. So, what do you all think of my brilliant plan?

neshamaruach
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

09 Dec 2008, 9:10 pm

It sounds like more than a plan. It sounds like you're on your way already. Congratulations!

pensieve
Veteran
Veteran

09 Dec 2008, 9:21 pm

Wow, that's really inspirational. I checked out your art, it's amazing.

I want to change the way people look at people with disabilities too but through photography.

Age1600
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2008, 1:44 am

wow way to go, thats great news, i hope you do everything planned, this world would benefit with more people like you! My mother noticed I started pulling out of my own world too when we got a dog. Walking my dog ss the best therapy. I was sorta in your position too, nobody believed I can make it yet here i am proving every doctor and person wrong. What inspires me the most is people like helen keller, shes blind and deaf yet the most amazing author and poet, goes to show ya, despite the label this society puts on ya does not mean you can do anything if you put your mind to it. Anyways love the way you think hehe :) .

pinkbowtiepumps
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2008, 3:41 am

That's so wonderful. I kind of have a similar plan. I'm an artist too, and even though the field I'm hoping to step into (the fashion industry) may not necessarily apply to autism, I'm determined to communicate that same message to everybody. I want people to stop seeing autism as debilitating, because it really isn't, it's just a different way of seeing things, and the only reason why one might see it as debilitating is if it is compared it to neurotypical social norms.

If autism didn't exist we wouldn't have had many of our scientific, technological or artistic advances - society certainly wouldn't have been in the same place.

I'm hoping to get involved in promoting autism rights in some way, along with my fashion design. I also surpassed many of my symptoms, far more than my parents could have ever expected. I would also like to provide a good image for those on the spectrum.

Congratulations, I really admire your drive and hard work. I'd like to see some of your artwork. I wish you success in all of your endeavors!

Magnus
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2008, 3:54 am

Do you remember the diagnosis?

I'm glad you are here to share your story.

-Pythagoras

sunshower
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2008, 6:54 am

Wow your art is amazing firebird! I love it! And you're only 25 - so young to already be so successful. I will be unbelievably proud of myself if I ever manage to make it anywhere near your life achievements by the time I'm 25.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2008, 8:01 am

I think that you've already got the ball rolling. I have similar plans. I hope that things work out for you. :)

ephemerella
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2008, 9:11 am

Awesome! God speed. Congratulations on your accomplishments so far!

UndercoverAlien
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2008, 9:15 am

i haven't read the whole text (don't feel like reading the whole text) but i do have to say that you have lots of positive posts all the time =)

Danielismyname
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2008, 9:51 am

I want to be a mercenary. I want to travel the world. I want to shoot people.

I'll let you know if I'm a success or not.

lionesss
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2008, 11:01 am

Wow thats amazing, your stuff is great.

Puppet
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

10 Dec 2008, 11:23 am

I'm honestly curious and interested in reading your speech! :D

Last edited by Puppet on 10 Dec 2008, 1:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Warsie
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2008, 1:13 pm

FireBird wrote:
In fact, I am going to be in 3 magazines and was accepted into an international book for autistic artists called Artism Anew..you can Google it as Artism Today I am on the second page with the bird in the sunset.

this is you?
http://www.artismtoday.com/index.php?op ... itemId=433

FireBird
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2008, 1:30 pm

^ yep, that is me. Thank you all for responding. It makes me feel good. Its cool that some of you want to spread the message, too.

neshamaruach
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

10 Dec 2008, 1:47 pm

FireBird wrote:
^ yep, that is me. Thank you all for responding. It makes me feel good. Its cool that some of you want to spread the message, too.

Your art is phenomenal. I'm inspired. I've been thinking of writing a book about my life with undiagnosed AS/SID, just to communicate how life feels on the inside. After reading your words, perhaps that will be my next "special interest." Who knows?

Thanks for spreading such great energy around here. It has an impact.