hurtful comments by neighbour friend.

Page 2 of 3 [ 35 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Catster2
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2008, 11:05 pm

Thanks for your support My aunt and others have all said I am a GOOD/EXCELLENT OR WONDERFUL driver depending on who you talk to. They have all told me their stories of banging into things in their first weeks/months/years of driving. In fact my aunt who is 63 and has been driving since she was 18 had a bingle only the other day backing into a fence pole, she once ran into a letter box and took all the bricks with it and has run into in her words "many" fence poles, gates etc. I dont beleive that minor scuffs are anything to worry about and that is why Michael's comments are hurtful. If you kill or hurt someone or wtite off a car as is often the case with young or inexperienced drivers then it is something to worry about and you would question your driving habits.

One of my problems is that I dont actually own a car so therefore my driving is very sporadic and always has been even when I was on my learner permit. For a new driver having a car all the time would be more beneficial and allow me to practice al lthe time and imporiving my skilsl as they go. That being said I am doing very well consdiering.

Tantybi
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2008, 2:57 am

When I first started driving, I had a couple fender benders with parked cars. It wasn't even parallel. All were my fault though. I just couldn't judge distance too well in parking lots, and the biggest one was cutting it too close in reverse and scraping the corner of the car parked next to me down a side of my car. I still don't do too well in reverse, but I am so much better now.

Either way, as far as major accidents, I had two that were my fault according to insurance. I hydroplaned on the interstate (I was going 45 in a 65, and everyone around me was going 55-60). I think that one was fate because I was lying to my parents by about 30 miles as to where I really was. No other car was involved. Then, I had another one where I ran a red light and hit a minivan, who of all people was pregnant. I felt bad, but all four people besides myself in the car (five total including me) didn't see that traffic light. Not even after the accident did anyone notice. We thought she pulled out in front of me not yielding at a stop sign until the cop, 15 minutes into it, told us about the traffic light. I guess many other people did the same thing, and they eventually changed how the light was. It was the first in a long series of traffic lights, but this one was on poles on the side like you'd see in a downtown area of a city, but the rest on the street were hanging over the center, and it was a four lane road.

Accidents I had that weren't my fault were even more. An old lady once turned right into three lanes of oncoming traffic and the car in the lane next to me hit me trying to avoid hitting her. She did us dirty too by trying to say she wasn't there cause we didn't call the police out of feeling sorry for her...old bag. I had an old guy hit me in a parking lot, and when I called the police, they refused to do a report because it was on private property. He ended up doing me dirty too and didn't pay for the damage he caused. I've had a teenager hit me from behind at a stop, and it did no damage. Now, on the flipside, I did that twice causing no damage, so all those cases were never reported. I also had in Wyoming, a Colorado driver not yield at a stop sign (most recent) and I couldn't avoid hitting him. I was like 3 feet away when he pulled out. Given I was only going like 15, but I still did some damage. He went through Progressive Insurance, and I loved the way they handled it for me. What helped is that I followed the advice from an AllState commercial and kept a disposable camera in my car, and I did take pictures. I highly suggest doing that.

Now, all these happened in like the last 14 years, and only 1 happened in the last 5-10. I got a lot of speeding tickets in my early driving (always on my way to a funeral at a church or church itself, hmmmm). I've been pretty good about that. Only one ticket in the last 5 years now, and that one was argumentive but I didn't try because it was on a military base.

Advice I can give you is most people have stories about their accidents. They just have them because it's a part of driving. We aren't like the bees in the Bee Movie where it just happens to come out okay all the time, and they say driving is one of the most dangerous things we do because of all the accidents. The important thing is to plan for it and manage the risks with it. Always wear your seatbelt. My neighbor just died about a week ago because she hydroplaned on the interstate, and she wasn't wearing her seatbelt. She was 23 years old I believe, and she has an 15 month old son. In addition, I would always keep a camera on you. Even if it is your fault, you don't want people adding to your damage, so take pictures to prove yourself. Also, when you do take pictures, take them of the cars before you move them out of the way of traffic, and then take close ups of the damage once you can safely do so. Get them developed where they are on CD or internet in addition to prints, that way, you can email them if necessary. Always call the police. I understand sliding on that with no damage scenarios, but even then, a person can come back at you and say you caused damage you didn't cause, and without a witness like a cop, it's your word against his. Avoid driving when you are tired, frustrated, on the cell, or any other high distractions. As far as drinking alcohol, the Air Force has what they call 0013. To know you are safe against a DUI (and this isn't always true, just usually true), the rule of thumb is 0 drinks if under the age of 21, 0 drinks if on standby (it is a military), no more than 1 drink per hour, and no more than 3 drinks a night. In most states though, if you blow anything above a 0 on the breathalizer, the cop is allowed to give you a DUI if he thinks you are driving crazy. The legal blood alcohol content limit is usually a guide. That is coming from a guy I knew who had to take a class on it after he got a DUI. Also, with time, you will be able to read what the other guy might do when driving. This is a good skill to work on because it can avoid accidents. Always look at your risks and manage that. What are the road conditions? Are they wet? How long have they been wet (they are more slick in the first 20 minutes of rainfall due to oil)? Is traffic thick? Is it common for traffic to stop here for no rhyme or reason (this is mainly for people who drive in Denver)? Is there a potential for wild animals, farm animals or rock slides? Where is your escape plan if someone pulls out in front of you or if traffic stops faster than you can. Always pay attention to your stopping time. Don't follow too closely for that reason (I'm sure you know the headlight trick to figure car lengths). To be honest, I drive safer now that I read the manual for truck drivers. Given I know too much now about air brakes, but they had a good section on driving safely for truck drivers for the Class A CDL in Wyoming. No, I never tested for that type of license. I guess I just like to read boring stuff. But, I say these things as advice because it was what made me a better driver. I could drive fast and handle my car better than anyone I knew (except in reverse), and I probably could have aspired once to be a Nascar driver, but my ability to handle my car doesn't avoid accidents. It's my ability to perceive the road, consider the hazards, and manage the risks that increased my safety on the road. I got two babies now I drive with a lot, so I'm overly cautious now. I need one of those signs that say, "caution, driving under the influence of children."

Oh, and I should also add, you know when you are turning right, and the guy approaching you is wanting to turn right on the road for which you sit, so when you see the signal and him slow down, usually you go out assuming he's going where you are sitting? Well, the guy from Colorado that hit me swore that's what i was doing, when I wasn't. The cop said it was obvious that I was not planning to turn right from the damage and setting, but the cop added that even if I were deceiving with a right hand turn and changed my mind, I would have still had the right of way, meaning it is your fault if someone else doesn't do what they are communicating and you hit them as a result. I do see a lot of drivers with their turn signals on without knowing it, and sometimes they are braking for no reason when I look at them. I hate that cause i slow down to let them through trying to be nice and the guy behind me is on my tail wanting me to speed up, and when they don't switch lanes because they have no idea their turn signal is on, I look stupid for braking for no reason. Anyway, sorry so long. I'm a little jabber jabber tonight. All my posts have been huge and long.

Catster2
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2008, 3:32 am

"DUI (and this isn't always true, just usually true), the rule of thumb is 0 drinks if under the age of 21, 0 drinks if on standby (it is a military), no more than 1 drink per hour, and no more than 3 drinks a night."

Here in australia if you are a probationary/provisional driver of any age (I aM 28) WE ARE REQUIRED TO HAVE .00 BLOOD ALCOHOL AND FULL LICENCED drivers who must be 22+ at a minimum are required to have .05.

millie
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2008, 3:39 am

Quote:
poopylungstuffing wrote:
Congratulations on having your liscense in the first place. I Probably will never have one at all.
Don't be discouraged by your neighbor's negative comments.

i got mine at age 40. and i especially went to a particular motor registry office (this is where you get the test) that was situated in a town that had very quiet and orderly roads!!

i am able to drive. i am also a bad driver. because of my spatial issues i lean into the midlde area of the car so i drive from the middle area of the windscreen. If i drive from in my seat (right hand side here in Australia) i tend to make poor judgments regarding the size of my car and how to manage the space between me and other objects. my son says it looks really weird.

Tantybi
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2008, 4:15 am

Catster2 wrote:
"DUI (and this isn't always true, just usually true), the rule of thumb is 0 drinks if under the age of 21, 0 drinks if on standby (it is a military), no more than 1 drink per hour, and no more than 3 drinks a night."

Here in australia if you are a probationary/provisional driver of any age (I aM 28) WE ARE REQUIRED TO HAVE .00 BLOOD ALCOHOL AND FULL LICENCED drivers who must be 22+ at a minimum are required to have .05.

Yeah, I probably shouldn't have assumed you were from the states. Sorry about that. I hate it when I do that...make assumptions without realizing I'm making them. But thank you for being so nice and reading all the crap I wrote.

Our probationary drivers I guess is the Learner's Permit. I forget what the exact rules were, and I'm sure I didn't know when i did have my learner's permit. Yeah, like I followed the rules anyway.

It's also weird that your 8 came out 8) but when I clicked on him, I now know why... 8 and then ) is the cool smiley. Funny.

2ukenkerl
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2008, 6:29 am

Catster2 wrote:

WOW, that is DUMB! The effect is based on sex, metabolism, and weight, NOT age. The effect is controlled mostly on type and speed. And you HAVE to be drunk if licensed and 22+? YIKES!

BTW I believe most states in the US consider an alcohol/blood level of .08, or more, to be DUI!

Catster2
Veteran
Veteran

18 Dec 2008, 3:28 am

2ukenkerl wrote:
Catster2 wrote:

WOW, that is DUMB! The effect is based on sex, metabolism, and weight, NOT age. The effect is controlled mostly on type and speed. And you HAVE to be drunk if licensed and 22+? YIKES!

BTW I believe most states in the US consider an alcohol/blood level of .08, or more, to be DUI!

I have no idea why the 8 is coming out as a smiley thats weird but anyway. The drinking age is 18 here so is the minimum age you can get a probationary licence. However most people leave it until they are in their 20s. Anyway the reason why it is .00 for all probationary drivers regardless of age is because if you are inexperienced regardless of age and add alcohol to the mix you are asking for trouble. Like I said a person must be at least 22 to get a full licence and then the BAC level is under .05.

Catster2
Veteran
Veteran

18 Dec 2008, 3:33 am

Here is the rules regarding probationary licences if you are 21+ ytou havei t for three years if you are 18-20 it is 4 yrs. To be fully licenced you must be at least 22.

Rules and restrictions for P1 drivers (aged 18-20)

As a P1 probationary driver, the following restrictions apply:

* You're only permitted to carry one passenger aged between 16 and 21
* No mobile phone use, hands free or hand-held, or any messaging of any kind, is allowed
* You're not allowed to tow anything unless you're doing it for work or you're under instruction
* If your licence is cancelled or suspended as a result of a traffic offence, you're only allowed to carry one passenger (whatever their age) for the balance of your P1 period (there are exceptions to this rule).

Rules and restrictions for P1 and P2 drivers

The following rules and restrictions apply to both P1 AND P2 probationary drivers:

* You can't drive high powered vehicles such as eight cylinder cars, cars with turbocharged or supercharged engines, or nominated high performance six cylinder cars (offences will attract a fine and three demerit points)
* Any suspension, drink driving offence without licence cancellation or suspension, or drug driving offence will result in an extension of your current P1 or P2 period

Other rules that you should be aware of during your P1 or P2 probationary period include:

* You can't have any alcohol or illicit drugs in your body
* You must display your P-plates at all times when driving
* You will lose your licence if you get five demerit points in a year, or 12 over a three-year period
* If you got your licence driving an automatic car, you aren't allowed to drive a manual car until you get a full licence or pass another drive test in a manual car.

Catster2
Veteran
Veteran

19 Dec 2008, 6:06 pm

I spoke to my occupational therapist last who tested me (you have that option if you have a disability). She "strongly advises against" getting a manual licence. Because whilst she says I might learn the gears and clutch there are other factorsx that come into play with my Asperger's. She has a lot of clients with AS whom she tests and whilst she says I am the highest functioning she still wouldnt advise against it. I also told her about my two fender benders and she said they are no biggie and I will have more but to learn from them and that is something I am very good at doing.

Her reasons were.

* I have trouble multi tasking

*Due to my AS if I am in something unfamilar or something goes wrong for example I am running late or am lost my chances of having an accident/fender bender are far higher (this has already happened once with a fender bender). Adding gears to that would make the chance of having a serious accident much much higher.

*My co-ordination whilst signifficantly improved is not 100% and adding a clutch would be stressful.

*I dont do well under stress and having to re sit a test in manual would be extremely stressful for me.

NocturnalQuilter
Veteran
Veteran

19 Dec 2008, 6:26 pm

Catster2 wrote:
Well like I said I am not worried everyone or at least most people have minor accidents or fender benders as they are known in the USA.

Just an FYI: Only about 1 in 50 US drivers have reported accidents. A very small margin of those have repeat accidents.
I have had none.
You toss off your three of four "minor bingles" as though it's no big deal. A person should be a competent driver before getting their license- not after.
I am sensing a huge desparity between the compliments you're receiving from your relatives and the short driving history you've recounted for us. How is it someone can be an "excellent driver" and hit a mail box?
I hope, for your sake, you improve quickly and without further harm to person or property.
Good Luck!

Catster2
Veteran
Veteran

19 Dec 2008, 6:35 pm

NocturnalQuilter wrote:
Catster2 wrote:
Well like I said I am not worried everyone or at least most people have minor accidents or fender benders as they are known in the USA.

Just an FYI: Only about 1 in 50 US drivers have reported accidents. A very small margin of those have repeat accidents.
I have had none.
You toss off your three of four "minor bingles" as though it's no big deal. A person should be a competent driver before getting their license- not after.
I am sensing a huge desparity between the compliments you're receiving from your relatives and the short driving history you've recounted for us. How is it someone can be an "excellent driver" and hit a mail box?
I hope, for your sake, you improve quickly and without further harm to person or property.
Good Luck!

Well the incidence of accidents here is far higher than that and EVERYONE I have spoken to in my family, friends, colleagues etc has backed into and/or run into many a thing in their early days and often later on too. My aunt had five fender benders in her first yr, my uncle 3, my mum 2, my step dad 3, my brother 4, my boss 6 you get the picture. There is a difference between hurting someone, breaking the law and running into a mail box which was low down to the ground and caused minimal damage. Ok you have had none fender benders or serious accidents LUCKY YOU WE ARENT ALL that lucky or cocky. Here in Australia probationary drivers and that is what I am are 53 times more likely to have a serious accident and have an average of 3 minor bingles or fender benders in their first yr and one for the remaining 2 yrs on probation. My aunt who has been driving for 50 yrs ran into two parked cars only the other day. My boss ran into the person next to him whilst parking last week, my friend ran into the neighbours fence. So I am a good driver just inexperienced as I keep saying there is a difference and even experienced people make mistakes as long as we learn from them thats the thing.

Last edited by Catster2 on 19 Dec 2008, 6:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

NocturnalQuilter
Veteran
Veteran

19 Dec 2008, 6:42 pm

Catster2 wrote:
So I am a good driver just inexperienced as I keep saying there is a difference.

I guess we'll have to agree that what constitues a good driver in Australia versus in the US are two radically different things.

Catster2
Veteran
Veteran

19 Dec 2008, 6:54 pm

NocturnalQuilter wrote:
Catster2 wrote:
So I am a good driver just inexperienced as I keep saying there is a difference.

I guess we'll have to agree that what constitues a good driver in Australia versus in the US are two radically different things.

Here a bad driver is one who gets into serious accidents where people are hurt, someone who has an accient as a result of sppeding, someone who has a result of an accident drink driving or someone who hoons. None of which I or anyone else who i mentioned that has had fender benders have done. It cost my probationer cousin $900 the other day because he side swiped another car whilst both were driving. That doesnt mean he is bad though just inexperienced like me he made a mistake and wil learn like i do.

Last edited by Catster2 on 22 Dec 2008, 5:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

Catster2
Veteran
Veteran

19 Dec 2008, 7:46 pm

One of my problems is that I dont actually own a car so therefore my driving is very sporadic and always has been even when I was on my learner permit. For a new driver having a car all the time would be more beneficial and allow me to practice al lthe time and imporiving my skilsl as they go. That being said I am doing very well consdiering. I get to drive a little in the lead up to christmas as my parents like to drink and i dont drink and not allowed any alcohol whildt driving anyway so will probably give them a lift home although mum is an awful backseat driver so perhaps not.

ProfessorX
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2008, 11:38 am

Catster, that is quite rude if not being mean in how your neighbor shows such sick meaness towards you.I'll admit that when I was driving yes, I did have some but, mind you only 3 total car accidents which, were minor in damage but, I never had anyone make me feel stupid or dumb for such scenario.Therefore, I feel others like your mean-spirited neighbor would act in such a harsh manner.. Still, don't give up and simply try to find light inside yourself so, to simply go through your day without too much hurt from others that tend to be un-enlightened about you as a person.

Catster2
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2008, 5:44 am

i figure if you havent had aa minor accident then you are lucky thats all. I havent had any kind of fender bender or incident since November 20th and fingers corssed dont plan on having anymore but they do happen and are part of driving.