Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

KatScott
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

21 Dec 2010, 10:11 pm

Today, my brother initiated conversation with a little girl his age. I brought up the Polar Express and plans to make cocoa for everyone......my brother turned to the girl and said," Do you like the Polar Express movie?" He made eye contact with her and took turns talking, he stayed on topic and didn't interrupt her.

He also played with her the entire time we were out, usually he does his own thing, they played and laughed and giggled.

We went to a giant Bass Pro Shops store and he didn't cover his ears or have a meltdown. He and his new friend looked at the items around us and kept talking to each other and my brother was SO HAPPY.

I'm so proud of him!
^_^

bucephalus
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2010, 10:17 pm

I wish posts had a 'like' button, it would have got clicked many times

KatScott

21 Dec 2010, 10:56 pm

Thanks!
:D

nostromo
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2010, 2:24 am

Thats great, how old is he?

samsa
Toucan
Toucan

22 Dec 2010, 4:27 am

Nice :D

KondimentsGuy
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

22 Dec 2010, 7:02 am

How very encouraging :D I'm happy for both of you!

j0sh
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2010, 7:21 am

:D

kfisherx
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2010, 9:42 am

Awwwwww..... So very happy to hear that he came out of his world for awhile. Hopefully this is just the start.

FluffyDog
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2010, 12:33 pm

Nice to hear your brother was apparently feeling well. If he seems to enjoy himself in other situations were the same girl is present, you might want to try to establish more opportunities for the two of them to interact with each other. If this is what helps him to feel good, he should be able to repeat the experience as that might help him to develop his social abilities a bit further.

KatScott

22 Dec 2010, 12:36 pm

He's eight years old. That was a HUGE step forward for him, I mean....he has FRIENDS now. Other kids love having him around and he's happy playing with them.

He paid attention to his new friend the entire time. It was amazing! Our mother couldn't believe it either.

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2010, 1:22 pm

Heh, well, he's learning to do the NT act pretty well! Remember to encourage his Aspie strengths too, though--those are what will get him a job later on.

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com

nostromo
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2010, 3:48 pm

Callista wrote:
Heh, well, he's learning to do the NT act pretty well! Remember to encourage his Aspie strengths too, though--those are what will get him a job later on.

As described that doesn't sound like an act to me (unless hes a very unusual 8yr old), it sounds like he is interested in the other children.

nostromo
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2010, 3:52 pm

KatScott wrote:
He's eight years old. That was a HUGE step forward for him, I mean....he has FRIENDS now. Other kids love having him around and he's happy playing with them.

He paid attention to his new friend the entire time. It was amazing! Our mother couldn't believe it either.

I have a recent photo taken of my 4yr old NV boy at his kindy, kneeling in front of another little boy who's standing, and they have their arms around each other and are looking in each others faces and my son is grinning up at the boy. I was quite stunned to see that because my son has never shown any particular interaction with other children before that I've seen.
Its great to see. It's also really nice to see this little boys interest in my son, and at his previous daycare there were a couple of little girls that 'looked after' James like little mums, even though he didn't reciprocate their attention. They described him as their friend. Its encouraging :)

ScrewyWabbit
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2010, 5:54 pm

KatScott wrote:
Today, my brother initiated conversation with a little girl his age. I brought up the Polar Express and plans to make cocoa for everyone......my brother turned to the girl and said," Do you like the Polar Express movie?" He made eye contact with her and took turns talking, he stayed on topic and didn't interrupt her.

He also played with her the entire time we were out, usually he does his own thing, they played and laughed and giggled.

We went to a giant Bass Pro Shops store and he didn't cover his ears or have a meltdown. He and his new friend looked at the items around us and kept talking to each other and my brother was SO HAPPY.

I'm so proud of him!
^_^

That is really cool and awesome.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2010, 9:04 pm

I'm very happy for the both of you. A lot of kids on the spectrum between the ages 4 and 10 grow in leaps and bounds, whether or not they're in therapy, or on special diets. :)

KatScott

01 Jan 2011, 1:08 am

My Mom and I encourage his strengths, he notices the tiniest detail that not even I or my mother would notice. He's into insects and cooking.....

When something emerges that he intensely focuses on, we'll encourage it. I mean, it could lead to a career.