Autism is not socially appropriate, but AD(H)D is? Why?

Page 3 of 3 [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

blossoms
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

24 Dec 2008, 9:28 pm

Quote:
Because people with AS are weird, annoying, and uncomfortable to be around.

Time to make an effort to change folks.

That made me laugh Kevin. :lol:

But it is more than that, though I agree partially with your observation.

First, to the 'Autist' label. I know some 'Aspies' wouldn't want the autist label, because it can be a burden, an 'Aspie' is just different, or wired differently, but not autist. The autist, as stereotyped, complete with stims, repetitive obsessions, obsessional self murmurs and so on, is not the 'Aspie'. In the public's imagination, that is what an Autist is all about. The Autist is like the Schizophrenic, a taboo. Worse, any person, who is a little more well read on the condition, links autism with a lack of empathy, which could mean a Schizoid Personality Disorder, complete with indifference and lack of care or understanding of the way things are done, as Daniel mentioned. That puts fear into people, remember the school shootings? Whatever it is, the Autist has a personality disorder or a disease.

I think the 'Aspie' should take the 'Autist' label on (at first I was not too sure), to show that the spectrum is diverse and equally human and different, considering its different shades and types. As Hans Asperger noted, once you meet one Autist, you have met only one Autist (I know it is a cliché). Finally, there is an end of the spectrum, that is so profound in its traits, that we can safely give it a label of 'disabled', as it affects the very functioning of the human, in the basic 'doings', defined by given human faculties. The same applies to any profound mental or physical disability, but autism is not just this, let alone a psychopathy, as it can be imagined. But the label of 'disabled' is due to the effect on the faculties and not how the world is viewed or perceived, which is an important difference and point to make.

Once again I agree with Kevin, to an extent, the 'Aspie' could use more introspection and utilise it in being more 'other centric', this is a moral imperative (a virtue) in my opinion. Also this should come more naturally, that is introspection, considering the self-centred character traits that comes with being somewhere on the spectrum. However, at the same time, the outside world should accept difference in perception and viewing the world. Not everyone can be animated by a hectic social lives and 'adulation' etc. - a perception that seeks fulfilment in others. The autist will be detached, in differing degrees. Accepting difference is a two way street. The problem is that many Autists know that there is a different world out there, which is the dominant one, but not all the mainstream understand the autist, or worse view the autist in a negative fashion. In Britain, the NAS (National Autistic Society) have run adverts in newspapers that show a woman, appearing completely 'normal', sitting in a pub, with her surroundings blurred. The idea of the advert was to show an autist, who is a woman, appearing like the regular person, but overwhelmed by what can be a 'hostile' surrounding. In this case there is an attempt to educate, though much work can still be done, and that is why I think it is important for those who are formally diagnosed with some Autistic label to be open with others about their diagnosis, and to break all taboos and try to reach out. I would include those with no formal diagnosis, but are fairly certain in their self diagnosis, after exhaustive research and reading, however the outside world may not be too believing or understanding and it could make matters worse, due to the hegemony of the medical profession over normalcy and what is considered different and befitting of labels of 'disability' and 'deficits'. Though I am not too sure on that one? Maybe it is an ideal opportunity to challenge the medical profession, with its codes of practice and commodification of the service. I better stop blabering, and blabering...

Last edited by blossoms on 25 Dec 2008, 9:27 am, edited 5 times in total.

CTBill
Veteran
Veteran

24 Dec 2008, 9:48 pm

SeizeTheDay wrote:
...all they think of is silent kids watching fans spin.

I was a "fan" kid for sure, but anything but silent: "Big san, big san! Baby see dat big san go wound!!" :D

My parents and older siblings would get me to talk on my "baby tapes" by promising to show me the little fan on the bottom of the tape recorder if I did.

That fan had a name, too: Little Lambsy Divey. And I loved watching the reels turn.

Hope I didn't derail this thread, but I still love fans--now in the form of turboprop and turbofan engines. :P

SeizeTheDay
Veteran
Veteran

24 Dec 2008, 9:53 pm

CTBill wrote:
SeizeTheDay wrote:
...all they think of is silent kids watching fans spin.

I was a "fan" kid for sure, but anything but silent: "Big san, big san! Baby see dat big san go wound!!" :D

My parents and older siblings would get me to talk on my "baby tapes" by promising to show me the little fan on the bottom of the tape recorder if I did.

That fan had a name, too: Little Lambsy Divey. And I loved watching the reels turn.

Hope I didn't derail this thread, but I still love fans--now in the form of turboprop and turbofan engines. :P

Slow moving water is still my favorite! I could still play in that for hours! :oops: :P

"The person who knows everything has a lot to learn."

"Dubito, ergo cogito, ergo sum" (I doubt, therefore I think, therefore I am) René Descartes

CTBill
Veteran
Veteran

24 Dec 2008, 10:09 pm

SeizeTheDay wrote:
Slow moving water is still my favorite! I could still play in that for hours! :oops: :P

Lava lamps and wave machines! 8O

Also those clocks with the rotating weights in view:

I used to watch one of those for hours at my babysitter's house.

Okay, getting way off-topic here now. Let me just say: Pee on people who are so callow as to be unwilling to learn and understand the differences and similarities between AD(H)D and ASD. They hate both, to be sure, but follow the current conventional thinking: AD(H)D good, ASD bad.

lionesss
Veteran
Veteran

24 Dec 2008, 10:32 pm

Yeah I never understood why ADHD was "accepted" and ASD wasn't. But I have seen that here too. And if someone also has ADHD it seems as if they are excused for any negative behavior they display!! ! I have a horrible story that I am now compelled to share.. a friend of mine who has a LFA 14 year old said that some kid called her son ret*d. Rightfully so, she became infuriated and called the principal. The principal defended the child who called her son that and said this kid has ADHD and can't help himself for calling names!! ! OHHH that angered me more than ever. Firstly I have ADHD as well and I would have NEVER even dreamed of doing that. My daughter who isn't even 7 also has ADHD, she would also NEVER do such a thing! In fact she tells anyone who makes fun of someone to stop because it's wrong!! There is so much ignorance around its disgusting. Just because someone may have ADHD or an ASD, does not excuse them for cruelty and bad behavior... everyone, regardless of whatever they may have needs to be treated and disciplined the same way! My son who has HFA isn't even 5 and he is very well behaved, because he gets discipline when necessary... too bad some parents and teachers, and principals obviously are still way too ignorant!

Sora
Veteran
Veteran

25 Dec 2008, 8:25 am

lionesss wrote:
The principal defended the child who called her son that and said this kid has ADHD and can't help himself for calling names!! !

Wow, that's a weird reaction of that principal.

Though it is possible that a person with ADHD and high impulsivity calls another names without having fully meant so. Happens to me too. My mouth is faster than my brain heh.

But especially in that case, that behaviour absolutely cannot be excused. Impulsivity must be managed by child and environment to prevent that it ends badly one day.

But of course, it's important to not forget that a kid with ADHD can call others names on purpose too.

In that case it's totally irrelevant whether one has ADHD or not. So to just say 'the kid has ADHD' is the totally wrong way to go, even it saves time. The correct path to go would be to figure out the situation, why the child did what it did and then solve the argument. Especially if a child with ADHD is involved.

Or else they might get the notion that they're either punished for what they cannot help or can get away with everything if they just say it's their ADHD.

Delirium
Veteran
Veteran

25 Dec 2008, 8:44 am

Eh, there are some ADHD deniers out there and some people who think that it can be cured by beating your kids, so I wouldn't say it's completely socially appropriate.

ADHD is probably considered slightly more socially appropriate than autism because when most people think autism, they think low-functioning autism.

anna-banana
Veteran
Veteran

25 Dec 2008, 9:37 am

DwightF wrote:
Fo-Rum wrote:
ADHD individuals have an advantage in this area, because they are more likely to raise their hand to ask questions if they need clarification.

What is this "raise hand" thing you speak of? :D I have to watch myself in classes because I tend to turn lectures into a two person conversation, and I'm one of the people. So at times I force myself to step back otherwise I'll dominate the class.

LOL same here. people keep forgetting that shyness is NOT an AS trait. "active but odd"- remember?

Danielismyname
Veteran
Veteran

25 Dec 2008, 9:54 am

Is there anything wrong when people equate autism to "low-functioning"? What's so bad about LFA/HFA (HFA equating to the research term, rather than "high-functioning")?

Again, there needs to be more understanding for those with LFA/HFA compared to those who can function in society; if those who can function reasonably well who wish to take on the "autism" label, they also need to understand that those of us with more severe and pronounced symptoms are just as worthwhile to existence than any "perfect" person, and it's not a tragedy if someone is born with a more severe form of autism compared to those with less severe symptoms.

People with less pronounced symptoms need to look beyond themselves and their own plight (I know it's hard), and find worth and value in things other than what NTs value; you have so much trouble doing these NT things, and this trouble blinds you to the things of value that can't be brought with funds, that can't be learned via a college degree, and which can't be learnt from your peers.

The happiest individual I've known has Down Syndrome, and also has a very young mental age. He's far more happy than any person who's "made it" to society's standards that I've seen. There's much to be learnt from this.

Crocodile
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

25 Dec 2008, 10:01 am

I think people react different to ADHD than to autism because they know more about ADHD. Every child that is not in a semi-coma is diagnosed with ADHD, so a lot. Please don't be offended, but there are many people I know diagnosed with ADHD, and in the end none of them actually has. Yes, I do know there are people who actually have it. It's more common and people are known to it. Furthermore, ADHD is hyperactivism, and doesn't look severe to people. Autism does, it makes people think of ret*d children living in some clinic. This effect is I think partly created by Hollywood; I saw once a movie with an autistic child in it, that wasn't autistic but just a ret*d freak. People think autists are convicted to a life of misery and pain, without in their eyes that so important socially active life.

I GRADUATED WITH THE HIGHEST GRADES OF MY YEAR!! !! !

Morgana
Veteran
Veteran

25 Dec 2008, 10:58 am

Interesting question!

I myself have been wondering why people think so negatively about autism. In fact, for most of my life, I never even noticed this. I, myself, thought nothing odd one way or the other about autism: autistic individuals were just simply autistic individuals. I assumed pretty much everyone thought the same way I did. It was only (rather recently), when I learned how AS actually presents, and subsequently suspected myself to be on the spectrum, that I noticed this stigma. I started out by telling many people that I finally found the answer, and that I must have AS- naively expecting them to be happy for me, for finding the explanation!- when I noticed this horror of autism. I find it strange...(and I don´t go blurting this out to people anymore). So, I guess I can´t answer your question.

lionesss
Veteran
Veteran

25 Dec 2008, 11:26 am

Sora wrote:
lionesss wrote:
The principal defended the child who called her son that and said this kid has ADHD and can't help himself for calling names!! !

Wow, that's a weird reaction of that principal.

Though it is possible that a person with ADHD and high impulsivity calls another names without having fully meant so. Happens to me too. My mouth is faster than my brain heh.

But especially in that case, that behaviour absolutely cannot be excused. Impulsivity must be managed by child and environment to prevent that it ends badly one day.

But of course, it's important to not forget that a kid with ADHD can call others names on purpose too.

In that case it's totally irrelevant whether one has ADHD or not. So to just say 'the kid has ADHD' is the totally wrong way to go, even it saves time. The correct path to go would be to figure out the situation, why the child did what it did and then solve the argument. Especially if a child with ADHD is involved.

Or else they might get the notion that they're either punished for what they cannot help or can get away with everything if they just say it's their ADHD.

Exactly but from the sounds of it, they would be unlikely that they would investigate the situation. They sound extremely close minded to me.. I am just glad neither of my kids go to that school.

TPE2
Veteran
Veteran

25 Dec 2008, 6:38 pm

Delirium wrote:
Eh, there are some ADHD deniers out there and some people who think that it can be cured by beating your kids, so I wouldn't say it's completely socially appropriate.

ADHD is probably considered slightly more socially appropriate than autism because when most people think autism, they think low-functioning autism.

I think that the existence of "ADHD deniers" is one more evidence that ADHD is "socially appropriate": usually, what "ADHD deniers" said is that "ADHD" is simply the "natural behaviour" of kids (or, at least, male kids).

Yes, there is also some "AS deniers"*, saying that "AS" is simply a label invented to socially stigmatize smart kids who think for themselfs (I don't know if the people really dxed with AS fit these stereotype), but I think that they are less than the "ADHD deniers" (probably because AS is less known than ADHD)

*and "ODD deniers", and "SPD deniers"... Basically, both for AS, ADHD, ODD and SPD, with a quick search at net, you will find articles saying something like "[disorder X] is nothing more than an invention of school/pharmaceutical/psychiatric establishment to label the non-conformists people as having a mental problem and brainwash them; like the diagnosis of schiziophrenia for the dissidents in the old USSR"

Maddkow
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

26 Dec 2008, 3:14 pm

While people like us with AS can be over sensitive to stimuli, why would it only be an ADD/ADHD trait to seek stimuli? I mean, yea there are some things that are just overwhelmingly stimulating to me, but, I like to seek out the things I know are the right level of stimulation for me. Example - heavy death metal and modern "r & B" tends to really aggravate me cuz it's too much on my ears, yet I can roll up my windows and turn up the volume on a c.d. of the works of Mozart to get me energized/moved in a way.

I think one reason ADD/ADHD is considered more accepted is because it's seen as "very bright kids just not in the right environment to get the proper stimuli they need to function". While we can be just seen as "kids who just are over-stimulated and need to not be put in an environment where they'll go ballistic." I also agree with the whole people think of ret*d when they think of autism. The way I see things is this: Some things will be over stimulating to us, which could be anything you may find in a classroom/social setting, while "Oh we jus thave to give the person with ADD/ADHD the proper motivation". But then again, we have to have that "just-right amount".
This is all just my speculation though.

This is also in no way attempting to be biased towards those with ADD/ADHD. I have a small trace of ADD in me, from what my dad and others are telling me, and I love being around those who have it. I like anyone with lovable eccentric behavior. Heck, one of my best friends I had when I was in my adolescence had ADHD, and that kid was absolutely nuts lol...I miss that crazy bastard' lol.