Page 5 of 17 [ 268 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 17  Next

Greentea
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2009, 12:18 am

Excellent example!! :)

vint
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

04 Jan 2009, 2:08 am

Quote:
Excellent example!!

You think? Alright, I`ll try to explain how I see it.

toboo wrote:
someone posted on my mommy board that they had overheard the following in the women's restroom:

"oh, wow, i really like that dress, just not that color, i would never wear that color."

Maybe she meant exactly this and nothing more.

Quote:
person wearing cute dress is offended
person overhearing said conversation posts, "i wonder what on earth she could have meant by that comment?"

"Did she really mean it, of was she just being mean"?

Quote:
- several members post about what a rude, obnoxious thing it was to say.

Women are so strange! They do think it is a rude thing to say something like that. I`m not sure why. And I don`t care why they think so. But I do know they (most of females) really hate it, so I don`t critisize their clothes and their looks - if I don`t want to offend them.
I`ve learned it the hard way :lol:

Quote:
i post, "she meant, 'oh, wow, i really like that dress, just not that color, i would never wear that color.' nothing more, nothing less

Probably you got it right.
But her opinion about someone`s dress is not a good enough reason to offend the person wearing this dress.
So why did she say it?
Because she didn`t expect someone to post it on a forum, this is why, I guess...

Quote:
and it's totally something that would come out of my mouth."
i get into this kind of trouble all the time.

If you say X, the person Z is offended.
You don`t want to offend Z.
Therefore, you don`t say X.

This is how it works. No magic.

vint
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

04 Jan 2009, 2:42 am

Quote:
I`ve learned it the hard way :lol:

Here is an example:

An NT male talks with a girl.

NT: Hello! :)
The Girl: Hi! :)
The Girl: You know, I think I`m too fat :( Do you think I`m fat?
NT: Yes, you are.
The Girl: :x :x :x
NT: Oops... :oops: Sorry! I didn`t mean it.* I was kidding!* :wink: You are beautiful!* :)
The Girl: You are a strange guy! :D
NT: See ya.

*This is a lie.

The next day.
NT: Hi! :)
The Girl: Hello! :D :D :D

Another example. An autistic male talks with a girl.

The Aspie: Hello.
The Girl: Hi! :)
The Girl: You know, I think I`m too fat :( Do you think I`m fat?
The Aspie: Yes, you are.
The Girl: :x :x :x
The Aspie: Well, see ya.

The next day.
The Aspie: Hello!
The Girl: F...k off! :x :x :x
The Aspie: What`s wrong?
The Girl goes away.
The Aspie: You NTs are soooooo f....d up!

Last edited by vint on 04 Jan 2009, 2:46 am, edited 2 times in total.

use_your_words
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

04 Jan 2009, 2:45 am

I think this theory makes a lot of sense. I am neurotypical, but I've noticed that the conversations I have differ in nature based on my closeness to the other person involved. For instance, I started college recently and when I'm talking to people whom I'm trying to get to know, conversations tend to be a lot less about substance and a lot more about establishing a connection. On the other hand, my roommate was already a close friend of mine before starting school, and our conversations are much more about an exchange of ideas. This fits in with what was said before about exchanging information being a sort of privilege in closer relationships.

However, I'm not sure I agree with what your (Greentea's) therapist said about ranting being an expression of anger toward the other person in the conversation. I've often found that ranting can make a relationship closer, because it shows you trust each other enough to disclose your emotions. Particularly, if you're ranting in a less serious way, it can be a way to forge a relationship with someone less familiar - especially if the subject of the rant is disagreeable to both of you, because it's something you have in common.

"No man is an island, entire of itself; every man is a piece of the continent, a part of the main. If a clod be washed away by the sea, Europe is the less...any man's death diminishes me, because I am involved in mankind..."

sethzack
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2009, 3:15 am

Wow Vint you are good.

I Want To Become Stronger...
... Than I Was Yesterday!! !! - The words in my avatar picture.

vint
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

04 Jan 2009, 5:29 am

sethzack wrote:
Wow Vint you are good.

Thank you, Sethzack. I`m trying to be helpful :)

outlier
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2009, 6:52 am

It took a couple of reads of the women's restroom situation. At first I couldn't fathom why the comment would be seen as rude. But think I've figured out what they mean by it being rude.

1. The person wearing the dress in the restroom has probably made some effort to look nice that day: why else buy/make, then wear a "cute" dress? There is far more practical clothing around.

2. The dress-wearing person therefore values looking nice for some reason. It could be to the lesser degree of just looking presentable, or it could be to the extreme where their self-esteem is largely dependent on their appearance. Or who knows what else?

3. The woman's companion then states they would never wear that color. The "never" in the statement directly implies that the color of the "cute" dress is so awful to their eyes that the companion would not wear it under any circumstance.

4. If something about the dress is perceived as that awful, it means the person's effort to look good (for obtaining whatever it is they value) has failed. Result: they feel bad. Perhaps if they had higher self-confidence, the comment would not have mattered to them. Perhaps the real purpose in looking cute is to gather compliments from others to raise one's self-esteem. (Am unsure on this point, but it seems a good guess. Another reason could be to increase the chances of passing a job interview.)

5. Therefore, if the purpose of looking nice is to get compliments and admiration from others, maybe there's an unspoken rule that others are expected to have figured this out (rapidly and intuitively, unlike painstakingly figuring out the logical steps above) and either give a compliment (whether true or false), or keep quiet about their true opinions. The purpose of not telling the truth in such cases seems to be to avoid upsetting the person (for some unknown reason; see below) who wants to be successful in looking presentable/completely great that day. Everyone is expected to just know all this, so if they do not act accordingly, they are assumed to just be rude or have an agenda.

One thing I can't figure out: Is not giving your true opinion based on altruism, ie not wishing a friend to feel upset? Or is it based on social manoeuvring, ie maintaining one's position in the social hierarchy, avoiding social rejection, social climbing?

vint
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

04 Jan 2009, 7:46 am

Quote:
One thing I can't figure out: Is not giving your true opinion based on altruism, ie not wishing a friend to feel upset? Or is it based on social manoeuvring, ie maintaining one's position in the social hierarchy, avoiding social rejection, social climbing?

Both, I guess. I mean, it`s both unpleasant and not useful to make people feel bad for no particular reason. Even if they are not friends.

Greentea
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2009, 1:53 pm

Thank you for adding an NT perspective, use_your_words. It's very rare to have an NT give us their perspective in a thread, mainly because most of the topics are just subconscious / instinctual for NTs.

millie
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2009, 3:21 pm

i couldn't figure out the restroom/dress scenario at first. But i did, after a few readings.

Here is an example of NT women not answering me honestly.These are women i would consider friends. in the past couple of years, i have realised the subtleties of their relating are quite different to what i have expected and presumed my whole life. They are very nice people. But their way of communicating is very different from mine. Years ago i would have been deeply hurt. These days - a little older and wiser - i can have a chuckle about it, understandin that it is a stark reminder of some of the differences between me and them. THis scenario DID stretch out over a few years until my dx and the realisation that some women whose advice i asked, didn't answer honestly. in spite of my requests do so on a few occasions. And they see very little wrong with that. it is about social exchange and perhaps they assumed i should have been able to "read between the lines" regarding what they said, on the basis of their tone of voice and other cues. who knows......

when we spoke about the whole scenario later - they said that it was a case of not wanting to hurt people.
weird, and different to how i think...

Background info is that i have been grey for many years and at 46, was extremely grey haired.

AS woman 2004: Can i ask your honest opinion? i'm not too good at this kind of thing.

NT women in 12 step programs: yeah, sure...go right ahead.

As woman: Please tell me what you think honestly, ok?

NT women: yeah, we will. Of course we will.

AS woman: do you think i should dye my hair?

NT woman 1: Oh wow, i just love the grey.

NT woman 2: Oh it looks so great on you. Don;t dye it. You can have grey hair. it looks really good.

AS woman: uh...ok. do you really think so?

NT women: oh yes...yes. DON"T do a thing to it!

2 years later

AS woman 2006: I still think i might dye my hair. any views on it this year? can you give me an honest view again on what you think? you two are really good with the whole "girly thing," and i don;t get it, so i'd like your help.

NT woman 1: JUst leave it. DOn;t do a thing. YOu can carry it off SOOO easily.

NT woman2: leave it leave it LEAVE IT. IT looks really DISTINGUISHED on you. Just leave it.

AS woman; uh ok. i am still undecided , but as i run these things over with you two i'll leave it.

NT women: EXACTLY, millie. it looks really great. don't worry about being grey. it's good on you.

AS Woman 2008 (post dx and awareness of AS, and with dyed, dark hair) : Hello women. how are you?

NT WOMEN 1 and 2 in unison: OH MY GAWD...OH MY GOD....YOU LOOK SSOOOOOO FANTASTIC. GOD, what an improvement. You look ten years younger, and SO beautiful. you must feel great with it done.

AS woman: Huh? But i've been asking you for years about it. i finally made up my own mind.

NT Woman 1: We just didn't want to say.... IT just look SO much better now......!

NT woman 2: yes. Really amazing. YOu should have done it years ago......

AS woman with dyed hair; (puzzled.) oh.

true story. my story. life! :lmao:

alba
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2009, 5:41 pm

Greentea, as many others have pointed out - i must also chime in - this is a great thread.

WOW!

i'm gradually wrapping my brain around what you have said and almost have it but will require some deep reflection. no doubt you have come up with something positively brilliant.

through the insights you have presented Greentea, i realize the importance of intent combined with strategy. intent is normally transmitted through body language. but by itself, it isn't enough to achieve successful DOING type conversation. you also need to be somewhat attuned to the rules of the game and to convey how you intend to deal with the rules. you have skillfully shown us how to use the rules to DO what we need in order to survive social interaction and be treated fairly. it's like you have translated a foreign language for us. amazing. i'm still in shock [!] btw it's a very welcome shock.

by intent projected through body language i have successfully communicated the exact part of the game i will play with NTs. all this was unconscious until now. i realize why people are so much happier in my presence as opposed to the way they were before. in my complete and total unwillingness to play the social game, i was throwing a non-verbal and verbal tantrum. i believe i appeared to be a tad uncivilized. no wonder i got no respect. the only difference is that now i am willing to play but only just a very little. even that little makes all the difference in the world.

the clear establishment of boundaries and the conveyance of those boundaries is not frowned upon, rather it is respected. and for me----establishing my boundaries is only a slight variation on throwing a full body language tantrum. oh yeah and i get the rant thing. you're completely right about that. i wasn't aware [til now] that i had eliminated the rant from my social repertoire in trying so desperately to avoid offending my acquaintances. small wonder they are happier with the changes i made. [sigh]..

what we have to go through to get a fair shake in life...[sigh]

Ha! Thank You Greentea.

p.s. if you write a book on this; it's practically guaranteed best seller.

Kaysea
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2009, 5:53 pm

Greentea wrote:
...and Aspies exchange information.

For us, the main goal of conversation is to exchange information.

For NTs, the main goal is to DO something. Such as establishing who is above whom in power in the relationship, or put you in a specific mood that's beneficial to them, or tell you how interested / disinterested they are in you getting closer / distancing from them.

I was in my mid-forties when I made this huge discovery (recently) and it was only then that I realized how off I had been all my life in verbal exchanges with people. Nowadays, when someone says something, I ask myself what they are DOING rather than what they are saying. Before, I used to think that NTs, just like me, used conversation to communicate/express their feelings and thoughts. Boy was I wrong! Exchanging info, expressing one's feelings and thoughts is only TWO of the many things NTs DO through conversation.

Eg: Nowadays I know that if a co-worker comes to my office in the morning to say good morning, it means: "I want to have a closer cooperation relationship with you" and not "I'm interested in you having a good morning so I'm here wishing you one".

My therapist told me years ago (and I didn't get it back then ) that when you rant to someone, you're actually attacking that person, even if you're ranting about something not related to that person. Because what you're DOING when ranting is expressing anger, then it's taken as being angry at the listener.

Also, when you dismiss something a person says as unimportant, such as a movie they've seen, what you're actually DOING is dismissing the person, telling them you're not interested in more closeness with them. When you're interested in getting closer, you say things like öh yeah, wonderful movie!". You show more enthusiasm for their ideas the more closeness you want. The intention is not to exchange opinions about the movie, but to establish the quantity and quality of the relationship between the 2 people.

All the above is nauseatingly obvious to any NT and astoundingly new to me.

I think this aspie trait (conversation=information sharing) has something to do with the fact that many of us think of our inner/mental state as what we know/are thinking about at the moment, while NT's think of this as how they emotionally feel and where they fit into the social heirarchy.

Anyway, I also had similar insights as to the FUNCTION of NT conversations a couple of years ago, and once I was able to analyze this sort of things, it allowed me to insert myself into a much more favorable social position within groups of NT's. Admittedly, it often puts quite a drain on my inner battery to do so.

I think this would be an excellent point to bring up in the Love and Dating or Social Skills/Making Friends sections. Props to you.

Kaysea
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2009, 5:53 pm

Greentea wrote:
...and Aspies exchange information.

For us, the main goal of conversation is to exchange information.

For NTs, the main goal is to DO something. Such as establishing who is above whom in power in the relationship, or put you in a specific mood that's beneficial to them, or tell you how interested / disinterested they are in you getting closer / distancing from them.

I was in my mid-forties when I made this huge discovery (recently) and it was only then that I realized how off I had been all my life in verbal exchanges with people. Nowadays, when someone says something, I ask myself what they are DOING rather than what they are saying. Before, I used to think that NTs, just like me, used conversation to communicate/express their feelings and thoughts. Boy was I wrong! Exchanging info, expressing one's feelings and thoughts is only TWO of the many things NTs DO through conversation.

Eg: Nowadays I know that if a co-worker comes to my office in the morning to say good morning, it means: "I want to have a closer cooperation relationship with you" and not "I'm interested in you having a good morning so I'm here wishing you one".

My therapist told me years ago (and I didn't get it back then ) that when you rant to someone, you're actually attacking that person, even if you're ranting about something not related to that person. Because what you're DOING when ranting is expressing anger, then it's taken as being angry at the listener.

Also, when you dismiss something a person says as unimportant, such as a movie they've seen, what you're actually DOING is dismissing the person, telling them you're not interested in more closeness with them. When you're interested in getting closer, you say things like öh yeah, wonderful movie!". You show more enthusiasm for their ideas the more closeness you want. The intention is not to exchange opinions about the movie, but to establish the quantity and quality of the relationship between the 2 people.

All the above is nauseatingly obvious to any NT and astoundingly new to me.

I think this aspie trait (conversation=information sharing) has something to do with the fact that many of us think of our inner/mental state as what we know/are thinking about at the moment, while NT's think of this as how they emotionally feel and where they fit into the social heirarchy.

Anyway, I also had similar insights as to the FUNCTION of NT conversations a couple of years ago, and once I was able to analyze this sort of things, it allowed me to insert myself into a much more favorable social position within groups of NT's. Admittedly, it often puts quite a drain on my inner battery to do so.

I think this would be an excellent point to bring up in the Love and Dating or Social Skills/Making Friends sections. Props to you.

use_your_words
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

04 Jan 2009, 6:12 pm

toboo wrote:
someone posted on my mommy board that they had overheard the following in the women's restroom:

"oh, wow, i really like that dress, just not that color, i would never wear that color."

- person wearing cute dress is offended.

I think this is a pretty good embodiment of the whole "NTs do things with conversation" idea. I think the main reason said woman was offended is that when strangers exchange compliments, they are not really exchanging information; they are just being pleasant. Therefore, it would seem somewhat confusing to her for a stranger to also mention something they did not like about her attire. A random person's opinion of her color choice is not really relevant to her, so it seems pointless (and consequently, strange/offensive) that they would mention it at all. A straight-up compliment seems less pointless because it acts as a pleasantry.

"No man is an island, entire of itself; every man is a piece of the continent, a part of the main. If a clod be washed away by the sea, Europe is the less...any man's death diminishes me, because I am involved in mankind..."

pluto
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2009, 6:25 pm

I only realised these things recently myself Greentea and you've explained them well.
When your therapist talks of expressing anger,it also occurs to me that the excessive use
of any negative or anxiety-inducing phrases can have an adverse effect on a listener,even
if they're not aimed specifically at that person.Examples of phrases that can induce anxiety
if used continually are 'I/we need to..' 'I/we must..' 'You must remind me...' 'It'll never work' and suchlike. I'm not suggesting we should suddenly become super-optimistic or be
unrealistic,but simply be aware of the underlying effect that certain phrases can have.
It may be different once you're in a closer relationship and both parties feel more free to
rant and exchange views honestly,but in everyday dealings with people it's true that things
like enthusiasm (which can be expressed by body language as much as speech) and willingness to see the other person's point of view are often more important than the actual opinions or information exchanged.

vint
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

04 Jan 2009, 9:22 pm

Greentea wrote:
Thank you for adding an NT perspective, use_your_words. It's very rare to have an NT give us their perspective in a thread, mainly because most of the topics are just subconscious / instinctual for NTs.

What I was saying was an NT perspective too, Greentea. I wasn`t talking just theoretically.
Subconscios part is the congnitive empathy (I believe this is how it`s called) thing, but social skills are learned.
What is the reason you stopped answering to me? If I said something that you considered inappropriate and unpolite, I apologize. That wasn`t my intention.