Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

Miyah
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2009, 12:08 am

I am 27-years-old and I have AS. Most of the time, I feel happy and confident. However, I have been feeling like a freak because I want to get ahead. Honestly, I feel like I am being cut down by other people on the spectrum and make me feel bad because I have hopes and dreams. However, I feel like they have things like boyfriends and I don't. I also feel like I often cry when I try and do something even if I try and be myself.. Infact, I feel like I am rejected by people, period, AS or not. Infact, I feel like people can be so cruel no matter who they are. Does anyone agree?

Detren
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

06 Jan 2009, 12:15 am

Keep your hopes and dreams, and don't envy what someone else might have. You can never know exactly what else comes with it.

Don't let other people cut you down, you are your own person.

A lot of people reject people out of jealousy or just because they aren't offering them what they want to be offered.

Everyone gets frustrated every once in a while, things work out. Yes, people can be cruel, just make sure you don't become one of them and all's good.

:D I sound like a bag of fortune cookies.

(help, trapped in bakery, please send rescue)

Mixtli
Raven
Raven

06 Jan 2009, 12:29 am

It's awful that you feel that way. No need. If there is one thing I have learned since getting a diagnosis, is that I know myself better now than ever, and am beginning to accept my natural self; I didn't always give myself such the benefit of the doubt in the past.

Anyway, I think the prevailing attitude that AS is a disability has yet to be proven and, in fact, I think the medical community is beginning to move in the opposite direction; i.e. it is a variation on normal. I might even suggest that it is often a gift, and is instead seen as a disability only because we are such a minority.

If I were born a thousand years ago in Swaziland, I'm guessing that there is a chance I would have been seen as an unfortunate disabled freak for my white skin and the horrible sun burns and wrinkles I would develop. However, instead of a life of feeling like a freak, and developing all sorts of related emotional and mental issues, all I would need is a change in climate or sunblock. My point is, it is the context and tools that are the issue, not you.

I think you should have pride for your individuality. Even though it can be frustrating.

06 Jan 2009, 12:44 am

Miyah wrote:
I am 27-years-old and I have AS. Most of the time, I feel happy and confident. However, I have been feeling like a freak because I want to get ahead. Honestly, I feel like I am being cut down by other people on the spectrum and make me feel bad because I have hopes and dreams. However, I feel like they have things like boyfriends and I don't. I also feel like I often cry when I try and do something even if I try and be myself.. Infact, I feel like I am rejected by people, period, AS or not. Infact, I feel like people can be so cruel no matter who they are. Does anyone agree?

Aspies can be just as cruel as anyone else.
AS is easier on women because they can get men easier than aspie men can get women
I got a bf through the internet. Since I couldn't meet men in real life or approach them and I kept scaring them off when they take interest, I took it through online. I joined a dating site and met a lot of men through it, went to a forum and asked if there is any men in my area and that is how I met my bf.

TheMidnightJudge
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2009, 2:04 am

Aspies can be just as cruel...

It's great that you have ambition. Those without it will resent it, and so they are jerks.

tweety_fan
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2009, 3:49 am

i wish you all the best with whatever it is you wish to do.

don't let the jerks win.

Miyah
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2009, 7:51 am

TheMidnightJudge wrote:
Aspies can be just as cruel...

It's great that you have ambition. Those without it will resent it, and so they are jerks.

I agree with you 100%

Aspie4u
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

06 Jan 2009, 9:53 am

I don't believe that I have ever met any Aspies, so I stand alone with the NT.
You have to set goals for yourself and reach them. Do something that you enjoy and forget trying to please others. Once you reach your goals you will feel better about yourself and you will reflect a more positive attitude.
I don't have a job right now and very low on cash. However, I working with programs like BVR to help rectify this.

For the first time in my life, I was diagnosed as having AS. I show shock because I was always trying to "fit in" and now I'm still dealing with my own feelings about AS. But it is not going away, and there will never be a cure for those who have it already. In the future, they may find the gene that cause it. The only cure will be for the newly born and even those who have AS in their family tree. But as of right now, we just have to make the most of it and not to let it sideline us.

glider18
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

06 Jan 2009, 10:05 am

There is some excellent advice on these postings in my opinion. It is a shame to feel bad about how others treat others on the spectrum. Just like with NTs, Aspies come in all shapes and sizes---figuratively speaking. So it is easy to get critical opinions. However, and I have been criticized on this, I like to speak of us Aspies as like a family. It would be so nice if all of us could support each other. But with so many varied opinions (look at the varied opinions of what causes autism in the first place) it will be difficult for some to support others whose opinions differ from theirs.

Miyah---you have dreams and hopes---to me that is wonderful. My dreams and hopes have kept me going my whole life. I still dream. Someday I dream of owning my amusement park filled with historical rides and roller coasters that live in my mind. Even though I know I will probably never build it for real (I don't have the money), I am building it in HO scale.

Whenever I feel sad or troubled, I can escape into my dreams and hopes. Never give them up. In my opinion, being able to maintain these hopes and dreams is something to be envied. So feel good about yourself.

matsuiny2004
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2009, 11:46 am

Miyah wrote:

common amongst most people that are different. It is not a big deal if you are not in a relationship. Find a job that you can enjoy.

surveys are scientific, they have numbers in them- me (satire)