Page 1 of 3 [ 48 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

madmike
Butterfly
Butterfly

13 Jan 2009, 6:06 pm

Ok this isn't some big existential question, although that too would be nice discussing with you fellow aspies one of these days, but i've just been browsing through this forum and have found that ALL the posts i've been through are typed out using VERY correct english spelling, grammar and syntax (in fact, i don't think i've seen one spelling mistake on this site, and believe me, I notice these things). Now, one of you smartarses is bound to say that this is because the vast majority of members are actually anglophones and were born as such, 'bt browse thru ani otha forum n u'll find tht ther'll alwys be sum1 typin lyk ths'. Seriously, this has freaked me out slightly, I wonder why it is?

mosez
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

13 Jan 2009, 6:12 pm

madmike wrote:
Ok this isn't some big existential question, although that too would be nice discussing with you fellow aspies one of these days, but i've just been browsing through this forum and have found that ALL the posts i've been through are typed out using VERY correct english spelling, grammar and syntax (in fact, i don't think i've seen one spelling mistake on this site, and believe me, I notice these things). Now, one of you smartarses is bound to say that this is because the vast majority of members are actually anglophones and were born as such, 'bt browse thru ani otha forum n u'll find tht ther'll alwys be sum1 typin lyk ths'. Seriously, this has freaked me out slightly, I wonder why it is?

That's because you have missed all mine posts. I'm certainly no english professor.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2009, 6:15 pm

We here at Wrong Planet:

- Are smarter and better educated than your average 1337 h4ck3r, n00b, or pwnster.

- Care about such things as grammar, spelling, punctuation, and syntax.

- Use one form of spelling-checker or another.

- Have class.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

nothingunusual
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2009, 6:16 pm

Our perfectionism and tendency for pedantary?

Personally, I'm admittedly a bit anal retentive about spelling, grammar and syntax. I have no idea why, but It's always been one of my mini obsessions.

I find it delightful that most of the members of WP seem to have this in common.

Bad Interwebz typin mkes me sadz!11! :cry:

And in the passing of momentary stillness.
We can see our chaos in motion.

pensieve
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2009, 6:16 pm

I have a spelling checker and I'm above the age of fourteen.
I'm gld tha no1 typez leik dis.

Chimaeran
Raven
Raven

13 Jan 2009, 6:22 pm

I just delete misspelt words when I type them, 'cause I have memorised the correct spelling of all the words I use. I've only seen a few spelling mistakes in my time here, and they've always looked accidental. I try to use punctuation and grammar correctly, too.

Beenthere
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2009, 6:23 pm

Personally, I'm anal retentive...I can't answer for the rest.

:lol:

hotaru
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

13 Jan 2009, 6:29 pm

I myself have a problem with people who cannot spell properly... even if it's a name/place you see every week!

It irritates the heck out of me... but I don't let it get to me all that much. Unless it's these 'kids' in my age group using all this so-called 'IM abbriviations' all the time. :roll:

CMaximus
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

13 Jan 2009, 6:31 pm

Oh, there's LOTS of typos. And flubby punctuation and sentence structure. Lots. I make a few slip-ups here or there, but tend to read and re-read my posts and edit a lot. :oops:

NocturnalQuilter
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2009, 6:33 pm

Fnord wrote:
We here at Wrong Planet:

- Are smarter and better educated than your average 1337 h4ck3r, n00b, or pwnster.

- Have class.

Well, not everyone. I'm certainly not very smart, don't care about grammar, don't even know how to use spell-check and I have the least amount of class out of anyone here.
See? There's a place for us all in this world.

madmike
Butterfly
Butterfly

13 Jan 2009, 6:35 pm

We here at Wrong Planet:

- Have class.

Right... that's helped to explain my worst fears. We here at wrong planet are obsessive, pretentious and élitist bigots. Is it a surprise then that we don't mix? :(

NocturnalQuilter
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2009, 6:42 pm

madmike wrote:
Right... that's helped to explain my worst fears. We here at wrong planet are obsessive, pretentious and élitist bigots. Is it a surprise then that we don't mix? :(

I guess it kinda comes with the territory. The personality dynamics here are about the broadest I have ever experienced in a single forum. You do have the intellectual elitists, the militant anti-"NT" haters and the spectrum wanna-bes. There are also a scant few of us who don't match any of those criteria or have variations of our own.

garyww
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2009, 6:46 pm

you must not have seen any of my posts yet as I spell almost as good as I do math. This one is pretty good. I don't think there are any wrong words but I can't really tell for sure.

Mysty
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2009, 6:48 pm

I've seen posts here with errors of spelling or such. Which tend to surprise me when I see it. But, hang around a while and you'll see those not so perfect posts mixed in.

Dokken
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2009, 6:51 pm

madmike wrote:

I noticed that myself. I also noticed more then half the folk on here complain about "NT's"

KaliMa
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2009, 6:53 pm

NocturnalQuilter wrote:
Fnord wrote:
We here at Wrong Planet:

- Have class.

Well, not everyone. I'm certainly not very smart, don't care about grammar, don't even know how to use spell-check and I have the least amount of class out of anyone here.
See? There's a place for us all in this world.

And your post is STILL perfectly spelled with proper grammar, as far as I could tell. :lol: