How badly is autism affecting your life?

Page 1 of 2 [ 28 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

How badly is autism affecting your life?
I'm completely disabled. 16%  16%  [ 11 ]
Suffering, but surviving. 65%  65%  [ 44 ]
Feeling rather unaffected. 15%  15%  [ 10 ]
Doing better than the average NT. 4%  4%  [ 3 ]
Total votes : 68

Qi
Raven
Raven

04 Jan 2009, 2:37 pm

I'm completely disabled at the moment, but not directly from autism. More because of the combination of Asperger's, OCD, ADD, bipolar, anxiety and chronic PTSD.

[Edit] Sorry. I tried to add the final option: "I R AWSOME" but I didn't quite understand how adding polls worked. Too late now.

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2009, 2:44 pm

I am both completely disabled and doing better than the average NT. :P

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com

04 Jan 2009, 2:49 pm

I'm not disabled and I don't feel affected. I can work and live on my own and I have a bf and am going to get married.

Sora
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2009, 3:08 pm

I don't think being disabled is the same as suffering. I think these are 2 things that can occur together but need not.

I have no idea what option to pick too. How do you measure disability except by label? AS can get you an 80 or 80 to 100 at disability in my country. Classical autism 100 or 80 to 100. AD(H)D often 30, sometimes up to 50.

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2009, 3:11 pm

Yeah. And my NT neighbor who's going through a divorce is definitely suffering a lot more than I am.

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com

pakled
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2009, 3:12 pm

I'm fairly ok, but it's affecting my ability to get ahead. As long as I can hold where I am, I'll be ok.

SpongeBobRocksMao
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2009, 3:19 pm

I'm suffering but surviving.

SpongeBobRocksMao!

ike
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2009, 3:20 pm

For the moment I seem to be near completely disabled... my hope is that this will be temporary.

Psiri
Toucan
Toucan

04 Jan 2009, 4:50 pm

I was completely disabled, but am more or less suffering and surviving now. Next step - do something about the suffering...

Mysty
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2009, 5:15 pm

None of the above. I'm not disabled, I'm not suffering, I'm not (in my opinion) doing better than the average NT, but that doesn't mean I'm unaffected.

pensieve
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2009, 7:11 pm

Spokane_Girl wrote:
I'm not disabled and I don't feel affected. I can work and live on my own and I have a bf and am going to get married.

For some reason your post cheered me up. I think it's great that you are/will get married.
I wish I could meet a guy that wants to get married/ doesn't freak out about having kids.

As for me I'm suffering. I don't work, struggle with social situations, and I haven't left my house for days. But I'm trying to get better at these things.

KazigluBey
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

04 Jan 2009, 7:16 pm

I'm in marriage counseling soooo, I think that sums up my suffering concisely.

Tracker
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2009, 8:50 pm

I guess that depends on what measure you use.

From my perspective, the last month has been the best month of my life. 2 months ago I was living at home with a narcissistic mother and living off my last 3 grand in cash. I really couldnt afford anything beyond food and gas. But since then I have gotten a job and moved out, and for the first time in my life, I am living in a stress free environment without somebody attacking me everyday. I make enough money that I can actually buy things now like cable TV, a new computer, etc. I have a wonderful apartment, with a nice job, and my stress levels are much lower now then they have ever been. I am watching my bank account go up, and I have no debt, which a wonderful feeling after having such little money for so long.

When I compare that to the 'average NT' who has a load of credit card debt, car debt, mortgage, and is constantly worried about his family, then I happen to think I am doing better then he is. From my point of view, my life right now is doing wonderfully, it is most definitely the best time of my life.

However, if you look at it from a NT standpoint, you might see things differently. I dont have a girlfriend (never have), I dont have any friends in town, and I haven't left my apartment for anything but job and food for a month. I dont socialize with anybody, and I haven't done any 'fun' activities like going out to a party. A NT person might look at my life, compared to his and say, "well, he may be well off financially, but he must be very lonely and depressed. He doesnt know the joy of having a family, and he has no friends to spend time with. I'm better off then he is".

So to say that I am doing better then the average NT depends on how you look at it.

Also, as for the 'feeling rather unaffected' option. I can tell you that I do feel affected, but it doesnt mean that its a problem, just part of who I am. So, I'm not sure what to chose for an option.

lionesss
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2009, 11:18 pm

I am suffering but it has nothing to do with being under the spectrum. I'm dealing with some health issues at the moment..

Who_Am_I
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jan 2009, 12:53 am

Most of the time I feel like I'm bashing my head against a brick wall trying to get anywhere, but despite the frustration, I'm happy, and I seem to be surviving.

Deceptive cadence: V- ANYTHING BUT I ! !! !
Beethoven cadence: V-I-V-I-V-V-V-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I
-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I! I! I! I I I

Greentea
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jan 2009, 1:00 am

The lack of ability to form/keep connections has shaped my life more and more throughout the years. So "suffering but surviving" describes me well.