Veteran

09 Jan 2009, 4:35 pm

Interesting, ngonz. Thank you for that information :D

arielhawksquill
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2009, 5:19 pm

Quote:
It just makes sense to avoid spilling in your lap! The rule about elbows on the table is silly. What's so rude about elbows?

I believe it was meant to keep you from jostling the elbows of the person next to you. Perfectly pointless if you're eating alone or across the table from someone.

slowmutant
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2009, 7:12 pm

The importance of manners becomes painfully evident once you move out on your own, away from Mommy and Daddy who sheltered you from the real world for all those years. I am disgusted with people who are smart enough to know better yet use their ASD diagnosis as an excuse for bad manners, rudeness, poor hygiene, etc.

Is there anything the diagnosis won't exempt you from? :x :roll:

mitharatowen
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2009, 7:21 pm

slowmutant wrote:
The importance of manners becomes painfully evident once you move out on your own, away from Mommy and Daddy

How's that now? Can you explain your statement? Because to me it would appear to be the opposite.. table manners matter less when no one who cares is around...

slowmutant
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2009, 7:52 pm

mitharatowen wrote:
slowmutant wrote:
The importance of manners becomes painfully evident once you move out on your own, away from Mommy and Daddy

How's that now? Can you explain your statement? Because to me it would appear to be the opposite.. table manners matter less when no one who cares is around...

Indeed. Table manners don't manner if you live alone in a tiny cabin in the woods, pounding out your manifesto ... :roll:

09 Jan 2009, 8:35 pm

slowmutant wrote:
The importance of manners becomes painfully evident once you move out on your own, away from Mommy and Daddy who sheltered you from the real world for all those years. I am disgusted with people who are smart enough to know better yet use their ASD diagnosis as an excuse for bad manners, rudeness, poor hygiene, etc.

Is there anything the diagnosis won't exempt you from? :x :roll:

I understand your frustration but I don't think either of us is using our condition as an excuse in this thread. I did say I have to remind myself to put my legs in front of me, keep my elbow off the table. People at work touching my foot as they walk by is a good reminder to put it under the table.
How many none aspies are out there who don't follow them either?

Some rules are illogical like why do we have to keep our legs and feet in front of us as we eat, why do we need to keep our elbows off the table, why can't men wear hat indoors and women can?

Now I know why we have to keep our elbows off the table. Germs.

Padium
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2009, 9:12 pm

Spokane_Girl wrote:
I did say I have to remind myself to put my legs in front of me, keep my elbow off the table. People at work touching my foot as they walk by is a good reminder to put it under the table.

Some rules are illogical like why do we have to keep our legs and feet in front of us as we eat, why do we need to keep our elbows off the table, why can't men wear hat indoors and women can?

I keep sit on at least one leg while I eat, it gives me the extra hight need to lean over my food well.

sinsboldly
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2009, 9:53 pm

Padium wrote:
I keep sit on at least one leg while I eat, it gives me the extra hight need to lean over my food well.

I cook all my food, so I already know what's on my plate.

Padium
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2009, 10:13 pm

sinsboldly wrote:
Padium wrote:

I cook all my food, so I already know what's on my plate.

That's not why I do it, I do it because it is more comforting to myself. I feel better being over top of my food. I like tables that are lower set for this exact reason.

Bopkasen
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2009, 10:23 pm

I don't have problem with table manner.

If I get rusty, I kind of catch myself.

Anxiety or panic attack can impaired your judgement, please remind your parents or friends about that.

09 Jan 2009, 10:28 pm

Anyone remember Benny & Joon?

Joon sits at the table with her foot on her chair and her leg sticking up and the other on the floor in front of her. I thought it was an odd position. At least Benny doesn't lecture her about table manners. :lol: But does he when they go eat out? Maybe he doesn't take her out or else she might have an episode. No wonder she went out and directed traffic, no wonder she leaves the house alone. If only Benny takes her out.