Page 3 of 7 [ 103 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

2ukenkerl
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2009, 8:41 pm

garyww wrote:
I think the racial thing is pretty neat but that is just an aside to the overall picture and unfortunately the new president will most likely do about as much for people of color or other differences as any other president has done.

You're right there. BESIDES, the president doesn't make or pass the laws. He can suggest, campaign, and approve. In a way, the vice president has more power, since HE can suggest, campaign, and break some ties!

ALSO, the idea of thinking he is the solution to racism(Which OBVIOUSLY is pretty overblown anyway), is hypocritical. If racism were so rampant, he would NEVER have made it this far, and most of the people he has to get along with to pass his agenda are NOT black. I love(sarc) how people say he would have done better if there were no racism, yet don't talk about the women that lost. WHAT, is SEXISM passe also? :roll:

I just hope he does well, he is setting himself up for a BIG fall if he doesn't. He has some STUPID ideas and during his campaign indicated a lack of restraint, etc.... I hope someone stops him from making such errors.

garyww
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2009, 8:42 pm

Fat chance of that for sure.

garyww
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2009, 8:45 pm

The system can't be broken until you break the school system so people can actually get an education and not a brainwashing.

Kirska
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2009, 8:55 pm

Loborojo wrote:
good riddance for Bush, apparently he is gong to settle in Dallas in an area where Blacks were not allowed to settle and as for the cynics...in world history (Ancient Greeks and ancient Rome, we had great politicians, give Obama a chance, but as for every president who become the leader of a country their ride during the recession won't be easy an dthe economic tide will be blamed on them as people already do, when they can't solve the problem.

The ones who know best always stand on the sideline ciriticising, don't they?

I don't think he would dare settle in a democratic city. I would be shocked if he left his ranch in Crawford for a different home.

Anyway, there are zero TVs at my job, so I missed all of it :(

neshamaruach
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

20 Jan 2009, 9:04 pm

2ukenkerl wrote:
neshamaruach wrote:
G-d, you guys are so negative. Time to bring back the celebration:

OBAMA! :bounce:

I sat and watched the inauguration today, holding my daughter's hand and my husband's hand. My husband started crying, I got tears in my eyes, and my daughter talked about how cool it was that her best friend got to go to DC for the whole thing.

I have very high hopes for Obama. I have high hopes for this country, because it would have been unthinkable in my childhood to even consider that a black man could be president. He's smart, he's educated, and he puts smart, educated, thinking people around him. He wasn't born with a silver spoon in his mouth like Junior and he's had to overcome a lot to get to where he is.

He's pretty easy on the eyes, too. 8)

Sorry.

I got distracted by the visuals. :D

Anyway, where was I? Oh, yes, today was one of the best day of my life. I usually loathe pageantry, but today I basked in the glow of watching a bunch of white guys salute a black guy.

:salut: :salut: :salut: :salut: :salut: :salut: :salut: :salut: :salut: :afro:

It helped that I was watching C-Span, so there was no annoying commentary. I could just watch what was going on.

Oh, and as a Jew, I had no problem with his lumping together Jews and Hindus. Given the number of Jewish Buddhists, out there, however, I would have preferred being lumped together with Buddhists, whom he did not mention at all. Perhaps because they don't have much of a history of shooting at other people? Or because the whole point of Buddhism is not to take sides? Don't know. Don't care right now.

I'm WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY too happy. :cheers:

TALK ABOUT OVER REACTING! SHEESH! :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

And you LOVE the idea of a bunch of white guys getting paid to, or sucking up to, salute a black guy? WHY???? And are you SO racist that the color matters THAT much? Black guys certainly saluted the white presidents, and I don't care about that! I have NO emotion about that. My dislike of obama is very similar to my dislike of clinton. So why do YOU have such respect and emotion simply because he is black? And wasn't HE the one that said those bad things about jews earlier?

Hey, lighten up. After centuries of racism in this country, I was simply pointing out the role reversal. I found it to be poetic justice after years of racism, injustice, mayhem, and murder against black people in America.

My respect for Obama goes way beyond the fact that he's black. Yes, I respect him as a black man because he didn't let racism stop him. And I respect him as a human being because he's intelligent and seems to want to bring about actual change.

And no, he didn't say bad things about Jews. In fact, he is very welcome in the Jewish community in Chicago, and has been for many years.

garyww
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2009, 9:04 pm

have you been to Dallas. There is no part of the city that does not have black (and other colored) citizens even the so-called elite places. Black people can be rich and elitist too.

neshamaruach
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

20 Jan 2009, 9:15 pm

2ukenkerl wrote:
MissConstrue wrote:
history_of_psychiatry wrote:
garyww wrote:
He is just another politician like all the rest and if anybody actually thinks that governments have the best interests of the people in mind then they need a reality check.

That's one of the most intelligent and realistic things I've ever read on wrong planet.

Agree.

WOW, we can ALL agree on that!

Actually, no ALL of us CAN'T.

Governments are large entities, made up of diverse people, some of whom care quite a lot about the people, and some of whom just want to line their own pockets. Any kind of generalization about the government is just that--a generalization.

Personally, I believe that Obama has the interests of the average person in mind. He's different from any politician I've seen in my 50 years of life, and I say that as someone who has been quite cynical about all politicians. If I'm proven wrong, fine. At this moment, having hope is a good thing--a very good thing, especially after eight years of near-despair with Junior destroying everything in his path.

You can sit around and be cynical, but it doesn't move things along one iota. There's a lot of people suffering out there, and they need more than your cynicism. They need hope. So do I. And I have a lot of hope today.

Vexcalibur
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2009, 9:16 pm

Arrogant people tend to call others arrogant.

2ukenkerl
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2009, 9:18 pm

garyww wrote:
The system can't be broken until you break the school system so people can actually get an education and not a brainwashing.

Right again!

Pugly
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2009, 9:20 pm

I'm pretty pessimistic about the government... so I'm holding a wait and see approach to Obama.

It does make me uncomfortable to see many people gushing over him like a rock star... Do they like Obama that much... or do they just hate Bush that much?

I get uneasy seeing so much admiration for an elected official... it's Orwellian...

Wanting more than what I have might appear as greed.

Loborojo
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2009, 9:22 pm

2ukenkerl wrote:
neshamaruach wrote:

I sat and watched the inauguration today, holding my daughter's hand and my husband's hand. My husband started crying, I got tears in my eyes, and my daughter talked about how cool it was that her best friend got to go to DC for the whole thing.

I have very high hopes for Obama. I have high hopes for this country, because it would have been unthinkable in my childhood to even consider that a black man could be president. He's smart, he's educated, and he puts smart, educated, thinking people around him. He wasn't born with a silver spoon in his mouth like Junior and he's had to overcome a lot to get to where he is.

Sorry.

Anyway, where was I? Oh, yes, today was one of the best day of my life. I usually loathe pageantry, but today I basked in the glow of watching a bunch of white guys salute a black guy.

It helped that I was watching C-Span, so there was no annoying commentary. I could just watch what was going on.

Oh, and as a Jew, I had no problem with his lumping together Jews and Hindus. Given the number of Jewish Buddhists, out there, however, I would have preferred being lumped together with Buddhists, whom he did not mention at all. Perhaps because they don't have much of a history of shooting at other people? Or because the whole point of Buddhism is not to take sides? Don't know. Don't care right now.

TALK ABOUT OVER REACTING! SHEESH! :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

And you LOVE the idea of a bunch of white guys getting paid to, or sucking up to, salute a black guy? WHY???? And are you SO racist that the color matters THAT much? Black guys certainly saluted the white presidents, and I don't care about that! I have NO emotion about that. My dislike of obama is very similar to my dislike of clinton. So why do YOU have such respect and emotion simply because he is black? And wasn't HE the one that said those bad things about jews earlier?

you get so on my nerves with your simplistic black and white opinions, like you did on other topics, yes in your country race and colour matters, it always had from the Red race to the black race, and now it is paying back time, time to pay the rent for you intolerant whities....

Obama is the first president who inspires hope not only for the USA but for a whole new generation of war weary youngsters and elders in the world. People prick up their ears for one to hear a different bell than the one we heard from Republican hawks who they wheeled away ro flew back in a chopper.

Bush should be sued as a war criminal, Kissinger too, the list is long.

Let's see how far Obama gets before...god forbid...gets murdered like the next Martin Luther King. "I had a dream" has finally come true, look how many people poured into the streets and got glued to their screens to see this charismatic leader.

Now go and take a hike with your cynical remarks, we want positive vibes!! !! !! !! !! !! !! !

Last edited by Loborojo on 20 Jan 2009, 9:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Loborojo
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2009, 9:24 pm

neshamaruach wrote:
2ukenkerl wrote:
MissConstrue wrote:
garyww wrote:
He is just another politician like all the rest and if anybody actually thinks that governments have the best interests of the people in mind then they need a reality check.

That's one of the most intelligent and realistic things I've ever read on wrong planet.

Agree.

Governments are large entities, made up of diverse people, some of whom care quite a lot about the people, and some of whom just want to line their own pockets. Any kind of generalization about the government is just that--a generalization.

Personally, I believe that Obama has the interests of the average person in mind. He's different from any politician I've seen in my 50 years of life, and I say that as someone who has been quite cynical about all politicians. If I'm proven wrong, fine. At this moment, having hope is a good thing--a very good thing, especially after eight years of near-despair with Junior destroying everything in his path.

You can sit around and be cynical, but it doesn't move things along one iota. There's a lot of people suffering out there, and they need more than your cynicism. They need hope. So do I. And I have a lot of hope today.

atta boy!! !!

Loborojo
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2009, 9:26 pm

garyww wrote:
have you been to Dallas. There is no part of the city that does not have black (and other colored) citizens even the so-called elite places. Black people can be rich and elitist too.

I was talking about Dallas in the past

neshamaruach
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

20 Jan 2009, 9:27 pm

Loborojo wrote:
2ukenkerl wrote:
neshamaruach wrote:

Sorry.

you get so on my nerves with your simplistic balck and white opinions, liek you did on other topics, yes in your country race and colour matters, it always had from the Red race to the black race, and now it is paying back time, time to pay the rent for you intolerant whities....

Obama is th efirst president who inspires hope not only for the USA but for a whole new generation of war weary youngsters and elders in the world. Poeple prick up their ears for one to hear a different bell than the one we heard from republican hawks who they wheeled away ro flew back in a chopper. Bush should be sued as a war criminal, Kissinger too, the list is long.

Let's see how far Obama gets before...god forbid...gets murdered like the next Martin Luther King. "I had a dream" has finally come true, look how many people poured into the streets and got glued to their screens to see this charismatic leader.

Now go and take a hike with your cynical remarks, we want positive vibes!! !! !! !! !! !! !! !

Thank you, loborojo.

OBAMA!
OBAMA!
OBAMA!

Wooooooooooooo hoooooooooooooooo!

2ukenkerl
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2009, 9:34 pm

neshamaruach wrote:
2ukenkerl wrote:
MissConstrue wrote:
garyww wrote:

Agree.

The government is ***A*** large entity! If a decent person gets in(YEAH RIGHT :cry: :roll: ) then they will have no voice unless they "fall in line". So it doesn't matter if the most decent, honest, smartest person got in.

As for obama? He started back peddling once he got elected. There was even some back peddling in his latest speech.

Well, if I were positive, it would be misleading, and certainly wouldn't help. It would certainly not prevent suffering. NOBODY needs hope! What they need is change ************FOR THE BETTER****************!

Why do so many leave off key phrases. It is like Martin luther king being MISQUOTED as saying that "People should not be judged by the color of their skin", and then they extrapolate that to mean that disliking a black is racism. He never said that! What he said was "People should not be judged by the color of their skin, BUT BY THE CONTENT OF THEIR CHARACTER"! In other words, it is ok to judge a black, white, hispanic, etc... according to their character. Isn't racism if you are against someone SOLELY because of their race?

Padium
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2009, 9:41 pm

Personally, I think bush was right about retaliating to 911, I do also think he went overboard, but had he have not retaliated, he would have encouraged even more attacks on the US simply because he wouldn't do anything about it, and that is what terrorists want, to control other people by means of fear. He did do things I do not agree with, as he should have never invaded Iraq, and Iraq is just more so unstable because of the invasion than it was under Saddam's rule. Unfortunatly, in the middle east in general, the only way to keep your people under control, and not just the average citizen, but the radical citizens too, is to rule with an iron fist. Israel could have ended the conflict in Gaza much easier simply by going in with all their military might and demanding unconditional surrender, and in that surrender required Gaza to not fire anything into Israel, and an act of attacking Israel would be considered a declaration of war, allowing Israel to take military control of Gaza, and "peacekeep" in Gaza with their iron fist, preventing their actions further. The middle east is stuck in the middle ages with modern technology, not a good combination. There are countries that are stable there, but often they are stable because of very strict leadership and zero tolerance for people stepping out of line. In North America, we are stable because we have became politicly civilized and do everything we do in a political setting rather than just firing guns, however, uncivil acts of terrorism still occur in North America everyday, but we do not need to use an iron fist mentality to keep control of the general population, as most people aren't radicals like the Hell's Angels, or other terrorist groups.

Sad thing is when you deal with a terrorist, you have to deal with them on their level, as they do not understand ours. This is why Bush invaded the middle east, Iraq was a giant waste, Iraq was stable under Saddam's rule, and there were better ways of dealing with the terrorists, in fact I have developed a system that would eliminate 90% of the terrorists there very quickly, but its not legal under the Geneva Convention, and it could be done with minimal civilian casualties. (and by minimal I mean 500 terrorists to 1 civilian)

Anyways, thats my rant for the day, don't take anything in there seriously, as it probably doesn't accuratly portray my own views.