Auto dealer/repair =transmission issues.

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

FrogGirl
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

21 Jan 2009, 6:27 pm

Does anyone know anything about Chrysler town and country minivan transmissions? Mine is currently being held at the dealers(they decieve people and lie), to get the transmission problem fixed. It lunges, has a severe studder, shudders, when it gets to 10 miles/hr. I doesn't do it all of the time, mostly when it is fully warmed up. Yesterday, at 9am, I took it in and got the services repair guy to go for a test drive with me, and I could only get the van to do it once, and it was mild. I have a dealer warenty(2 year, 2400 miles) and I got the van at the end of last July. I feel they are giving me the run around and taking advantage of me. You know how auto dealers can detect a vulnerable person from a mile away? well, I guess I am a victom. Anyone? ideas? suggestions? PLEASE.

Last edited by FrogGirl on 23 Jan 2009, 3:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

mitharatowen
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2009, 6:31 pm

When they tell you what is wrong with it, tell them you need to think before you commit to any repairs. Then take it to another place and get a second opinion and a second price quote. That should tell you if the dealer is taking you for a ride or not.

FrogGirl
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

21 Jan 2009, 7:27 pm

If it is covered under warenty, I don't care if they fix it. It doesn't cost me anything(other than for the warenty that I bought when I bought the van. and that is included in my loan). If it needs regular maintenence, such as tune up(spark plugs/wires) or oil change, I take it eslewhere, where it is cheaper. I just got a rental car(one of the dealers cars). It was a last minute thing before they closed at 6pm. I guess they didn't like me harrassing them all day about the van and getting a rental vehicle. :D My rental (which they said they would cover,if the warrenty didn't) is a 2008 chrysler town and country.

demeus
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2009, 10:43 pm

First off, quite a few of the Chrysler 4-speed transmissions had issues. This is very well known amongst just about anyone who knows anything about cars.

With that said, if it is covered under warranty, have them do the fix. Transmissions are quite expensive so I am surprised they would do so without considering other things first.

jrknothead
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2009, 11:51 pm

Is this problem new, or has it been doing this for some time? If it just started happening, it could be a caused by the extreme cold weather we've been having...

How many miles does you van have on it?

Most transmissions shouldn't give you a problem during the first hundred thousand miles, if the van has more miles than this on it, it might be time for a transmission service (basically they open it up and replace the transmission fluid and all the seals)... transmission service should be covered by your warrantee, otherwise it should cost around $200... I wouldn't let anyone but the dealer work on the transmission, especially not shops that deal exclusively with transmissions, because they will often either not be expert in your particular transmission, and just as often they will sell you on unnecessary work to pad the bill...

FrogGirl
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

23 Jan 2009, 3:17 am

I finally got a rental(at the Dealers expence) :) and they finally took off the transmission pan under the van and saw metal shavings in it, which ,means that there is transmission failure somewhere in it. Now, for them to actually fix it correctly so that i don[t need to bring it back again. Its all covered under a dealers warrenty, which i am glad I bought (after getting the dealer to knock off abou $500 from the original price of the warrenty).
In the mean time, I am driving a 2008 minivan Lx model! :D