Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

andantespianato
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

22 Jan 2009, 9:01 pm

I have read alot on this but I am asking here anyway to be sure. What signs should be there throughout my childhood to indicate asperger syndrome, if I have it, or to indicate dyspraxia, which im under the impression can affect social skills but in a slightly different way. On dyspraxia, I have always been dire when it comes to anything even remotely sporty, and can barely walk in high heels, but do ok when it comes to technique on the musical instrument I play so maybe that rules it out but I dont know enough to really say so. I also simply cannot take notes, I dont know what to attribute that to. I seem to be frequently misunderstood, and misunderstand others. Some people think I have a good memory but I have trouble commiting some information to memory in the first place. Every report right through my school years has at least one mention of either 'daydreaming' or 'not paying attention'. I still loved imaginative play as a kid, information I have read suggests that those with AS wouldnt. If with the friend I hung out with most of the time id go along with whatever she or who was with her was doing but otherwise was hugely into reading and singing(popmusic :oops:, im into classical nowdays and no longer sing), but also went through a few 'medicine' phases. In my teens my faith was all I was interested in, and joined by piano from around age 15, Im still only interested in my faith and my music for the most part. I spent my time alone in school for the most part, but after I changed schools I had some people to hang around with who I knew from church although I still didnt contribute much to the group or say much most of the time. A common question from classmates who didnt know me as well was "Do you talk?". I had my parents called into the school before because teachers found me too quiet. Im 22 now, most friends I used to have have moved on but I have not made any new friends. I basically have one who has stayed in contact but now lives at the other side of the country, and two who I barely see or talk to anymore...its not that I dont get out either because im in church three times a week and usually hang around a bit before and afterwards. I still havnt managed to get a job at all.

Ok, so Im basically just looking for a preliminary opinion from someone and some more information to think about before I decide what to do, if anything. Would either of these have been fairly obvious at around age 3 for example, if I have either? What signs would be there at later ages like 5, 9, 11, 15?

pensieve
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2009, 9:32 pm

Dyspraxia and Asperger's are both neurological, but dyspraxia affects motor skills. Can you tie your shoes laces, button a shirt or hold a pencil correctly? People with AS are known to have poor motor skills too, but not as severe as Dyspraxia.
It's hard to pick up AS at the age of 3. Usually people with AS had no speech delay. I guess things like repetitive movements, need for routine, and not playing with other children could be a few signs. I did all those things. I had my mum stay up at night because my routine was to sleep during the day.
During the school years someone with AS may not have many friends, if any at all. They might be really good at their school work or horrible. I know I was horrible. I couldn't concentrate or understand what was being taught. I was far too proud to ask for help when others didn't need it too.
There's a lot of peer pressure in high school and a lot of people go through phases. Someone with AS would not really follow the fashion trends or any fads that the other kids go through. They may also not care about the high school gossip, I know I certainly didn't. There's a lot more work and if you're a little behind teachers stick you in a remedial class which just makes you realise how dumb they think you are.

And that whole AS kids not doing imaginative play is just a stereotype. Some may have been like that, but that doesn't mean others are the same. My sister and I used to always play, and I've still got a really good imagination.

You do have some AS traits. I think AS can be pretty detectable in the pre-adolescent years.
The most common symptoms are: poor social skills, repetitive movements, routines, a great knowledge and a fixed interest in special interests, a closer attention to detail, logical thinking, good problem solving skills, excellent long term memory, poor short term memory, poor motor skills, hypersensitivity to touch, sound, taste, etc.
Not all people with AS are affected the same way.

andantespianato

24 Jan 2009, 12:32 pm

I did have trouble with tying laces and buttoning up shirts and that a bit longer than some kids but I grew out of it so my motor skills are probably not quite as affected as they would be if I had dyspraxia. In secondary school I was still pretty passive, I hung around with some girls from church for the latter half even though I wasnt very actively involved in the group and I just went along with whatever they were doing. My long term memory is pretty good but I seem to have trouble with short term memory, except in the memory portion of some brain training games where its visually orientated and based around pictures rather than verbal I usually do moderately well. It can be tricky to try and commit something to long term memory when short term memory isnt great. I can be pretty defensive about touch but I dont know if id be considered hypersensitive. Hypersensitivity to sound is a possibility, I still hear the bathroom fan with my ipod on near full blast.