Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

BreakTheSilence
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

29 Jan 2009, 12:51 am

I think I saw somewhere that OCD is often comorbid with AS, so I'm just wondering how do you deal with obsessions?

Ugh, these ruin my life, my latest one has actually been related to AS, and convincing myself that I don't have it. No offense to anyone here, I just would rather have additional mental disorders tagged onto my already somewhat long list of things I probably have :x I've taken 2 online AS assesments each about 15 times (scoring about 40-60 on the one and 9-15/50 on the other, I routinely check my motor skills by doing certain things, have to make sure I'm not being "autistic" in social situations (ironically this leads to a sort of unnecessary social phobia that makes me kinda freeze and panic in normal social situations. This never happened to me before I started obsessing). If I thought this out logically, I'd know this is all irrational, and I do really know that it is, but damn the thoughts just can't go away.

Anyway, I'm not saying this about this particular obsession, just about OCD in general and good coping methods.

I'd rather not take medication but if that actually works I might have to cause it's really debilitating to me in so many ways. The main problem though is I also have ADHD medication that I need to take to be able to pass school otherwise I'd be totally hopeless there. I already don't take it more than a few times a week so I have less chance of getting harmful side effects, and the idea of taking something else for this just seems kind of risky, but so do a lot of things, and maybe that would ease my pain :?

Yeah I know this isnt the OCD forum, but this is the best place I know to ask. I may sound like I'm overexaggerating, but hell no I'm not :cry:

ThisUserNameIsTaken
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

29 Jan 2009, 1:35 am

I've had OCD just about all my life. Right now I'm mostly obsession/compulsion free right now, but not even a year ago I had a really bad obsession. It was completely mental though, so there were no outward compulsions, but it was still pretty debilitating since I would spend entire weeks unable to do anything but constantly argue with myself in my head about whether or not I had a particular condition. I looked forward to sleeping every day because deep sleep was the only time that I was free from the anxiety and obsessive thoughts. Usually it would end after a week or two though because I would get so mentally exhausted from it all that I just couldn't think anymore. Close to the end (after I found out what I was going through was actually a well-reported OCD symptom) it got to the point where I would start obsessing over not obsessing since in my head not obsessing anymore meant that it wasn't OCD. Eventually I just stopped though, I don't know what happened. Either I was too worn out to keep going or I just finally decided that I was obsessing over something that wasn't real, or both.

As for other obsessions I've had, as a little kid I had a counting obsession (don't remember doing it though so I don't know details, just what my mom has told me). Also, you know those spots you sometimes see floating around in your vision? Well, as a kid if I blinked while one of those spots was hovering over something I liked (say a family member, pet, game console, house, etc) I would have to blink on that particular object like 3, 5, or 7 times because I thought it would get destroyed/die if I didn't. I knew that impossible and that it was a completely ridiculous obsession, but I couldn't stop myself from doing it. I also had this thing about evening out body stimulation (ex. I get tapped on one knee I have to tap the other knee on the exact same spot). There were some other obsessions/compulsions as well, but they're either too weird to explain without confusing everyone reading this or I can't recall them off the top of my head.

Hydra
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

29 Jan 2009, 2:05 am

ThisUserNameIsTaken wrote:

As for other obsessions I've had, as a little kid I had a counting obsession (don't remember doing it though so I don't know details, just what my mom has told me). Also, you know those spots you sometimes see floating around in your vision? Well, as a kid if I blinked while one of those spots was hovering over something I liked (say a family member, pet, game console, house, etc) I would have to blink on that particular object like 3, 5, or 7 times because I thought it would get destroyed/die if I didn't. I knew that impossible and that it was a completely ridiculous obsession, but I couldn't stop myself from doing it. I also had this thing about evening out body stimulation (ex. I get tapped on one knee I have to tap the other knee on the exact same spot). There were some other obsessions/compulsions as well, but they're either too weird to explain without confusing everyone reading this or I can't recall them off the top of my head.

That whole paragraph explains me as a kid. The biggest obsession as a kid I had was with a zipper. I had to zip my jacket an even or odd number of times until it felt right. I also have certain things I always do when I get nervous. Like oddly sniffing my hand. I don't know why I do it. It just happens I always catch myself when they finally notice it -_-. Or when I'm talking to someone one on one. I always scratch my back in the same spot. I don't even realize I'm doing it. I also will notice random pictures in patterns. Like I'll see a face in a paint texture and then I'll start to look for other objects in the pattern. I can spend hours doing this if someone doesn't interrupt me. A lot of people have called me day dreamer because I just phase out. My dad always called me out for this when I was a kid and blamed it on videogames. Anyways there's my obsessions.