Page 1 of 3 [ 41 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

longNstrong
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

23 Apr 2007, 4:01 pm

Hi all,

In the midst of a lot of stress, I was hoping some of you would comment on something that helps me. You see I have the method of stimming that truly 'resets' my mood, reducing my anxieties and giving me a calm focus. I run up the stairs in tall buildings, typicallly buildings with 6+ stories. The change in my personality after doing this is truly notable. I am much more productive and less repetitive in my behaviors. But it does require that go all out or very close to it. Simply running, even sprinting, does not help as much.

Does anyone else do something similar? Please let me know, if you do, I wouldn't mind comparing notes.

ChrissandraChrissamba
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2007, 4:23 pm

My stimming is not quite as elaborate as your's (I hate running), but I like to rub two pieces of silk between my hands so it feels really smooth. I also like to brush my feet and hands with soft fabrics like cashmere. It is kind of expensive though!

TruenoBlues
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2007, 4:36 pm

My method is way more expensive, as it involves tire destruction. I take my car out on the backroads and open up.

ChrissandraChrissamba
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2007, 4:40 pm

I like to slam my fists down on my knees as well.

roygerdodger
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2007, 4:41 pm

What's stimming?

cecilfienkelstien
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2007, 4:44 pm

longNstrong, you Probebly feel the way you do because youare releasing chemicals in your brain that are making you feel better. Sorry for being Logical I am an aspie of coarse :lol:

DingoDv
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2007, 4:49 pm

I used to rub materials such as silk (in my case it was actually a ribbon - how I came across a ribbon I have no idea though - but it became mine) across my upper lip - so very calming...

Interesting about the stairs - I've grown up in a terraced house, and always had 3 sets of stairs to get to my room. There is something about dashing up them hand on step, but these days I sound like an elephant and get chased/raced by the dog (not sure if its excitiement that I'm home, or excitement that she can follow me).

richie
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

23 Apr 2007, 4:51 pm

roygerdodger wrote:
What's stimming?

Slang for self stimulation by way of repetitive movement, eg: rocking back and forth,
pacing, swinging the arms etc...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stimming

roygerdodger
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2007, 4:55 pm

richie wrote:
roygerdodger wrote:
What's stimming?

Slang for self stimulation by way of repetitive movement, eg: rocking back and forth,
pacing, swinging the arms etc...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stimming

Oh yeah, I stim a lot, too.

werbert
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2007, 4:57 pm

Actually, just last weekend, when we had company, I lost my temper and exploded pretty much because I had no opportunity to reset myself by stimming. I had no privacy, so I could not stim in comfort without anybody watching.

ChrissandraChrissamba
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2007, 5:00 pm

DingoDv wrote:
I used to rub materials such as silk (in my case it was actually a ribbon - how I came across a ribbon I have no idea though - but it became mine) across my upper lip - so very calming...

Interesting about the stairs - I've grown up in a terraced house, and always had 3 sets of stairs to get to my room. There is something about dashing up them hand on step, but these days I sound like an elephant and get chased/raced by the dog (not sure if its excitiement that I'm home, or excitement that she can follow me).

I used to brush my finger very lightly above my upper lip. I also used to like putting my hands just close enough to a television screen to feel the static. I also like dashing about the house and jumping over things. I can be a bit reckless.

DingoDv
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2007, 5:11 pm

I still brush my finger over my lip - its much more of a thought aid than a 'reset' though.

longNstrong

23 Apr 2007, 6:30 pm

Thanks, maybe I am barking up the wrong tree? It seems one of you is only thinking of 'trees'.

But seriously, I just did what I said does it for me: I twice ran up 7 flights of stairs at a local parking lot. It put me in a much better mood, strangely better than regular running does. While I do think it is probably happy hormones from the very intense exertion, there is a rhythum to it and I also wonder about the impact of gravity. These two factors combine to make me wonder if this isn't just my best stim to date. The really wonderful thing is that after I do this I am less repetitive in my actions, but have a wonderful, productive focus that allows my aspieness to shine in a way that impresses, but does not disturb NTs.

Anyone else? I also twitch, flap, hum, toe tap, etc, but these don't change my mood so much.

DingoDv
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2007, 6:45 pm

i think there may be something in your gravity idea.

When at home, I've realised it really nice to smack the ball of my foot into the stone floor - something makes a deep thudd noise, either the floor or my leg - but it ends up being very very calming.
I find the same lieing down and gently patting my sternum with my finger tips - infact - i think its the rhythm, which you definitely get running up and down stairs..

Grimbling
Raven
Raven

23 Apr 2007, 6:59 pm

longNstrong wrote:
While I do think it is probably happy hormones from the very intense exertion, there is a rhythum to it and I also wonder about the impact of gravity.

I have a similar stim involving running, and if there's some stairs, all the better - although thanks to my less than perfect co-ordination, I've had some spectacular falls doing it!

When I do this I use a different gait from normal, it's more like skipping - there is a definite rhythm to it, which is very soothing. I'm going stir-crazy at the moment, coz I work in an office and am sharing a house, so can't indulge as often as I'd like to...

longNstrong

23 Apr 2007, 7:10 pm

DingDv and Grimbling:

I might be looking for affirmation, but I think your thoughts are a little like mine. My understanding (or at least someone else's hypothesis) is that stimming is an attempt to 'reset' ourselves neurologically. So I assumed that things like rhythm or gravity could play a role in their impacts. Besides different exercises/stims have always made me feel different.

I would also assume that we (aspies) have enough variation within us that these intense physical stimms could vary widely. But I think I know exactly what you mean Grimbling: without my beloved stairs, problems are the end of the world. With enough stairs, I think problems are just things to do before bed. I reaaaaaally miss working in a high-rise building!