Do you ever get a word stuck in your brain

Page 1 of 2 [ 28 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Jupiter1234
Raven
Raven

02 Jun 2012, 8:36 am

And repeat it over and over to yourself until its almost painful

Just wondering if this is an autism thing or just a weird thing I do

Like yesterday I had the word montaloa. Stuck in my head and whispered it to my self for almost 3 minutes this happens pretty often and it's not a thing I can just stop once it starts

lostgirl1986
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2012, 8:39 am

Sometimes when I'm trying to memorize something it gets stuck in my brain for the whole day even after I'm long past having to remember it anymore and it's just plain annoying because it keeps repeating.

keira
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2012, 9:10 am

A word, a tune or a song. It happens often and it's really annoying.

rebbieh
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2012, 9:12 am

Not so much words as phrases. Phrases easily get stuck in my head. Especially things I hear in movies or something. I remember one time in school (quite a few years ago now) during an English lesson I read the phrase "let alone a telephone" and it just stuck. I still say it sometimes. That's one example.

Sora
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2012, 9:13 am

They're phrases or whole sentences for me usually. Non-functional echolalia for self-stimulation, I'd guess.

Atomsk
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2012, 9:20 am

I had things like this a lot when I was a kid. I still have them, just not as intensely as then. I have to repeat the word in either sets of 3 or sets of 7. As a kid this could carry on for hours, usually mixed with physical compulsive movements. Often it would be the compulsive movements without words at all. Frequently, throughout the day, I would repeat words three times occasionally, but often it would be making noises 3 times. It's when that turns into a chain that it becomes troublesome. I know the feeling of repeating something until it is painful, tiring as well.

Blownmind
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2012, 9:39 am

I don't know if this counts, but if I have gotten a grocerylist I have to remember, I often go through the store repeating those 2-8 items over and over in my mind until I have gathered them all. I can't seem to edit the list as I go along. Even with only 3 of 8 items left, I still repeat all 8 in my head.

lostgirl1986
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2012, 9:42 am

Blownmind wrote:
I don't know if this counts, but if I have gotten a grocerylist I have to remember, I often go through the store repeating those 2-8 items over and over in my mind until I have gathered them all. I can't seem to edit the list as I go along. Even with only 3 of 8 items left, I still repeat all 8 in my head.

I'm the same, even after I'm done purchasing them.

dyingofpoetry
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2012, 9:59 am

When I wake up in the morning, if the first thing I hear when I turn the TV on is "tricks are for kids," then that will pretty much be it for the rest of the day.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2012, 11:46 am

I get certain words stuck in my head a lot, but I have no proof that it's AS-related since I haven't asked anyone about it. These are some of the words I get/have got stuck in my head:-

Santander
Propaganda
Ryanair
Silicon
Mesh
Intervene

There's probably loads of other words too that I will end up adding to my list in the near future. There's no reason why these words get stuck in my head. I just hear them a lot but are words I don't normally use and so they just get stuck in my head.

Last edited by Joe90 on 03 Jun 2012, 8:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

jetbuilder
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2012, 11:55 am

I often get phrases, lines from movies and parts of songs stuck in my head.

My Tumblr: http://jetbuilder.tumblr.com/

Mummy_of_Peanut
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2012, 1:00 pm

I've had a word stuck in my brain for years (maybe 10 or so). When I'm trying to think of something to tell someone, it pops up. The word? SWIMMING I've no idea what that's about. I don't go swimming that often as I'm not that keen. My daughter goes to lessons every week, but I'm not in the least bit obsessed by it. My brain is obsessed by the word though.

nemorosa
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2012, 1:56 pm

Every time I have a shower a certain phrase comes to mind and I usually say it (though quietly). This has been going on for about 3 years now, so it's a daily ritual. I can't seem to stop :?

There have been others in the past that last for days or months. Sometimes a word or phrase will be forgotten for a while and then resurface later.

Squirsh
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

02 Jun 2012, 2:42 pm

I frequently get random words, short phrases, and lines from songs stuck in my head. Sometimes it's just random sounds that repeat over and over. Sometimes I find myself saying them out loud. It drives me nuts and can last for hours.

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2012, 2:45 pm

Yes. I no longer chant words when I'm in public, but I feel free to do so when I'm at home. I like words with rhythmic accents on the syllables.

It's a harmless quirk of mine--I don't count it as a problem to be solved.

Sometimes I spit out a word in public before I think about it, but I think that's more of a tic than anything else. I'm prone to minor tics--again, not a problem because they just don't get in the way enough to worry about trying to treat them. They're random words, usually related to my thoughts at the time, and they're not profanities; so it's not going to hurt anybody. It doesn't happen often enough in class to even disturb fellow students.

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com

Atomsk
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2012, 4:07 pm

nemorosa wrote:
Every time I have a shower a certain phrase comes to mind and I usually say it (though quietly). This has been going on for about 3 years now, so it's a daily ritual. I can't seem to stop :?

The -exact- same thing has happened to me, but it stemmed from an inside joke between me and a friend about making each other think of this one phrase every time one of us took a shower.