Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

elderwanda
Veteran
Veteran

01 Mar 2009, 11:45 pm

I feel like I've become hyper sensitive lately. I don't remember being like this so much.

Here are some examples:

I was being seen by a doctor (for what I suspect is a neurological problem, in fact). He tested my reflexes with the little hammer on the knees, and when he did it, each knee did a really big kick, and it felt like a tickly, but unpleasant, shock went through my body. In my experience, my leg usually just does a tiny kick, and I don't feel much of anything

It was late at night, and I was sat on the couch with my husband. All of a sudden, I heard some explosions outside. The first thing that came into my mind was that we were being attacked. I mean, like, Pearl Harbor. It was such an intense, panicky feeling, I leapt up and dialed 9-1-1 without a second thought. At that moment, my husband said it was the sound of someone letting off illegal fireworks over the water (about a quarter mile away, probably). So I hung up the phone, unaware that the call had connected. The knowledge that it wasn't a military or terrorist attack was comforting, but the physical sensations of panic stayed with me for hours, and it was really horrible.

Today, my son accidentally knocked his glass onto his plate. I startled at the sound so violently that, again, it felt like a shock through my body. I had to go lie down for a while to recuperate.

I'm also way too aware of the sensations in my own body. I get a strange sensation, and it's like, "OMG! I'm feeling something weird!"

It's starting to creep me out.

I know it's common for AS people to have sensory issues, but has anyone had noticeable changes in their sensitivity? If any of you have experience with this, did you ever learn what the cause was?

(And no, I'm not on any medications or taking any drugs of any kind. )

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

01 Mar 2009, 11:53 pm

Hyperacusis happens to people who aren't Aspie, too. It could be that you have one of the conditions that causes it in anybody, and it's stacking with your AS. Check with your doctor just in case. Mention the reflex thing, too; that could be significant.

Has your background stress level gone up lately? That explains it for me, when it happens. But I'm assuming it hasn't because if you're AS you probably already know that stress makes sensory stuff worse, and this is something more than that.

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com

IndridCold
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

02 Mar 2009, 12:06 am

I didn't notice anything as sudden as yours, but my my hypersensitivity has increased over time.

For example, today on my daily walk with my dog, I smelt some candy on the ground. The smell was as if someone was physically shoving the candy into my nose. It turns out a neighbor or someone had dropped some candy on the ground. My dog didn't even smell them.

I have transition lenses, and that used to work for me. Now the sun is so bad I am thinking of getting contacts so I can wear sunglasses all the time. I suppose I could just get "prescription sunglasses".

I used to yell at people for having the TV too loud. I now realize the volume was probably normal for most people. I'll turn up the TV if other people enter the room, because I keep it quiet, but even then they say they can't hear it. As far as numbers for the audio system, I like to keep the volume 25-35 max but they most people keep it at 45-55.

My taste buds have always been a problem. I can't eat certain foods like onions, lettuce, tomatoes, etc. I tend to keep my foods separate, and eat them in a specific order.

My clothing selection has gotten stricter over time. It takes a long time for me to adjust to a new fabric.

That covers all five senses.

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2009, 12:09 am

Get sunglasses that go on over the top of your regular glasses. They are big and dorky looking but they work.

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com

Padium
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2009, 10:53 am

elderwanda wrote:
I'm also way too aware of the sensations in my own body. I get a strange sensation, and it's like, "OMG! I'm feeling something weird!"

I though that was normal...