I want to open up a gallery for disabled artists

Page 1 of 1 [ 15 posts ] 

FireBird
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2009, 11:27 pm

When I have the money, maybe 5 years from now I want to open up my own gallery that features disabled artists. I don't know what the name of the gallery is but I would like the location to be in Florida (when my business gets big and same with my brothers we are moving to Florida), either Orlando or Miami. It will be for all kinds of disabilities, not just autism. I don't know how many of these kinds of galleries exist, there has to be some out there! So, do you think this is a good idea?

jawbrodt
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2009, 11:45 pm

I think it is a great idea. 8) I will have to remain a spectator though, as I don't have any artistic talent. :)

Those who know, don't speak.

Thundaeagle
Raven
Raven

26 Feb 2009, 12:22 am

Yeah, I'm all for it!

FireBird
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2009, 12:25 am

Cool! I hope my business takes off like we project so I really can do this in the next 5 years! Are you an artist?

Padium
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2009, 12:36 am

If money is the only thing stopping you, why not look into what it would take toopen it up, find some artists,etc, and go apply for grants and loans to cover the start up costs. That is how most businesses start. Very few businesses start up having already broken even, and the ones that do arer started by someone who is already in business owning another company.

FireBird
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2009, 12:57 am

I don't know how much of a grant I can get. I don't want to get a loan and worry that it won't work out as planned and then have to pay it back with interest. I have a business that is in the beginning stages of taking off and all these shows that I was accepted into should make my business take off even more. I don't know how much money it would require to start a gallery but where I live now isn't a good place for a gallery like that because I live in the middle of nowhere. Where all the cows are. I currently live in Washington State. I am in a few galleries myself and what got me started on this idea is that the main gallery I am at wants to do a show with autistic artists even though its a regular gallery- not one with artists with disabilities. But my idea would involve all disabilities. It would be pretty big. My brother's business idea is so good (and of course I would promote it in my speeches in autism conferences- all I can tell you it has to do with autism) that he projects in 2 years that he'll make $10 million net profit. To get his business started he is getting a Venture Capitalist (its kind of like an investor) and ask for a million dollars. In 5 years he projects $50 million dollars profit. My business in 5 years we see it since its less expensive items (except my original art) $2-5 million. So, this is the money that we will use, hopefully everything goes according to plan. To get the gallery started it will probably cost a few million dollars. Since I started the gallery, I would be the featured artist but there will be many other artists there as well. I wish it could be in New York but I don't want to move there or my family doesn't want to move there- its too crowded. We would probably live outside the main cities in Florida, but close enough to them to go places and do things.

FePixie
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

26 Feb 2009, 1:24 am

* giggles at the millions of dollars flying about *

Well I've started 3 business with an initial investment of $200 each - one of which i've since sold and bought a house and land with the proceeds - after an obsessive overload meltdown of course :roll: the other 2 trickle along enough to keep a living coming in and don't take up any more time than i let them - nowadays ;)

Yes - great idea to make a living doing things you love - just take it slowly and watch out for that overload thing tho eh :D

Some of my art here: http://www.pixieplots.co.nz/gallery.php

Maybe one day I'll be famous too huh? :P

Dussel
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2009, 4:44 am

FireBird wrote:
When I have the money, maybe 5 years from now I want to open up my own gallery that features disabled artists.

I am against all form of discrimination and think a person shall be assessed by his/her merits.

So what is so special regarding art from people with a disability? Does a wheelchair makes a painter better? Does Asperger makes makes my singing more pleasurable? etc.

At least I would have with such a project a very strange and sour by-taste of patronizing, to promote someone because he/she has a special condition does transmit the message that otherwise his/her work would not stand.

computerlove
Veteran
Veteran

01 Mar 2009, 10:42 am

Dussel wrote:
FireBird wrote:
When I have the money, maybe 5 years from now I want to open up my own gallery that features disabled artists.

I am against all form of discrimination and think a person shall be assessed by his/her merits.

So what is so special regarding art from people with a disability? Does a wheelchair makes a painter better? Does Asperger makes makes my singing more pleasurable? etc.

At least I would have with such a project a very strange and sour by-taste of patronizing, to promote someone because he/she has a special condition does transmit the message that otherwise his/her work would not stand.

I think FireBird has a point.
Many people with disabilities have a harder time being "heard" even if they are good. I mean, they have a harder time approaching art galleries or people that could help them sell their art because of their disabilities, like us AS that have to deal with socializing.

welcome to WP.

millie
Veteran
Veteran

01 Mar 2009, 11:12 am

does a level playing field exist?

computerlove
Veteran
Veteran

01 Mar 2009, 11:19 am

millie wrote:
does a level playing field exist?

to whom was that addressed?

gina-ghettoprincess
Veteran
Veteran

01 Mar 2009, 11:21 am

I think it's a great idea, FireBird.

y es como un semestre"

KingdomOfRats
Veteran
Veteran

01 Mar 2009, 11:51 am

FireBird,
Great idea.

Stephen Wiltshire [an autie] has his own gallery,have a look at his site for some ideas.

>>>help to keep bullying off our community,report it!

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

01 Mar 2009, 11:53 am

It would be a great idea if it didn't discriminate against able-bodied artists.

“I must acknowledge, once and for all, that the
purpose of diplomacy is to prolong a crisis.”

— Leonard Nimoy as Mr. Spock, in the Star Trek
episode "The Mark of Gideon" (ep. 3.16, 1969)

KingdomOfRats
Veteran
Veteran

01 Mar 2009, 12:22 pm

Fnord wrote:
It would be a great idea if it didn't discriminate against able-bodied artists.

it isn't discriminating in a bad way [=discriminating to be bad/nasty],its putting all the work of one group together [disabled people] to show their artistic skills,to challenge others beliefs of what disabled people can do.

disabled charities in the UK are often running galleries to show abilities of those with disability-two am know of-mencap [learning disabilities and ASD] and the NAS [ASD] only show art from those with LD/ASD,what would be the point in showing non autistic or non LD artists in galleries that were meant to show the work of LD/ASD service users?

>>>help to keep bullying off our community,report it!