Snowy Owl

02 Mar 2009, 11:40 am

Are computers an aspie magnet?

Tahitiii
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2009, 11:41 am

Yes.
And the internet is the Aspie's natural habitat.

MONKEY
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2009, 11:41 am

seems like it :P

Emor
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

02 Mar 2009, 11:59 am

I guess.
I go to a group with Aspies every lunch time with 5 people. 3 out of 6 of them are obsessed with computers, the remaining are strongly into video games.
EMZ=]

Jkid
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

02 Mar 2009, 12:14 pm

Definitely yes. I usually use my computer mostly for internet every waking moment I'm not at a anime convention, school, or out for the night. I've also begun using my PC for video games.

SpongeBobRocksMao
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2009, 12:36 pm

I think so. I'm an Aspie and I'm totally addicted to computers.

SpongeBobRocksMao!

pakled
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2009, 12:51 pm

well, at first it was...but now anybody can play...;)

LuckyBunny
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

02 Mar 2009, 12:53 pm

I can't use a computer to save my life. That's the paramedics' job. I can use one for most other things though.

((((hugs))))

~LL~

RandomKid
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2009, 1:08 pm

I am addicted to the computer!!

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2009, 1:13 pm

Computers are predictable. They do what they are told to do, and the only reason they don't work is if they're told to do the wrong thing. (Barring hardware failure, naturally.)

Plus, communicating through a computer is text-only, for the most part; text gets rid of all the subtleties of non-verbal communication, and that's a big boon for the people who don't do the non-verbals. Suddenly it's an equal playing field.

Those obsessions? Learn about them, discuss them with other enthusaists, access the newest research and even online classes, books, and videos. Very attractive!

Of course computers are Aspie magnets. Not all Aspies, and not all Web sites (I am convinced that Facebook is overwhelmingly NT)... but in general, yes. The Internet is Aspie heaven.

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com

JWLuke787
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

02 Mar 2009, 1:49 pm

yes

Madfrenchy
Raven
Raven

02 Mar 2009, 1:56 pm

I totally agree with Callista...

Quote:
Computers are predictable.

« L'important c'est de se sentir heureux, d'extérieure, la vie devient intérieure, son intensité reste la même et vous savez, c'est bizarre où le bonheur de vivre va parfois se nicher. » Blaise Cendrars, Moravagine

Emor
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

02 Mar 2009, 1:56 pm

Callista wrote:
Computers are predictable. They do what they are told to do, and the only reason they don't work is if they're told to do the wrong thing. (Barring hardware failure, naturally.)

Plus, communicating through a computer is text-only, for the most part; text gets rid of all the subtleties of non-verbal communication, and that's a big boon for the people who don't do the non-verbals. Suddenly it's an equal playing field.

Those obsessions? Learn about them, discuss them with other enthusaists, access the newest research and even online classes, books, and videos. Very attractive!

Of course computers are Aspie magnets. Not all Aspies, and not all Web sites (I am convinced that Facebook is overwhelmingly NT)... but in general, yes. The Internet is Aspie heaven.

Very good explanation. I agree with everything you said.
EMZ=]

Icheb
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2009, 2:13 pm

I'm a very picky person. The Internet is the only place where I can seek out and concentrate on the bits that I like best. Real life is too higgledy-piggledy for me. :?

LuckyBunny
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

02 Mar 2009, 2:17 pm

Callista wrote:

I agree on Facebook, but we can invade. Besides, I haven't finished playing with my 'friend statistics' app.

((((hugs))))

~LL~

irishwhistle
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2009, 2:53 pm

Ah, computers can be predictable, but I have found them to be frustratingly arbitrary. Random little problems pop up because of things I can't see. All told, they're good when they don't pull random crap on you.

But my natural habitat is in the middle of paper, paints, pencils, scissors, and glue... I do not scrapbook, by the way. I just mean I'm an artist.

The world loves diversity... as long as it's pretty, makes them look smart and doesn't put them out in any way.

There's the road, and the road less traveled, and then there's MY road.