Page 2 of 4 [ 58 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

MONKEY
Veteran
Veteran

08 Mar 2009, 11:12 am

Poeticromance wrote:
I didn't know Bill Gates did, I knew he had a mental disability but I hadn't known it was Aspergers =O

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0qNVe024RvI[/youtube]

this just says it all

MmeLePen
Veteran
Veteran

08 Mar 2009, 12:33 pm

MONKEY wrote:
Poeticromance wrote:
I didn't know Bill Gates did, I knew he had a mental disability but I hadn't known it was Aspergers =O

this just says it all

OMG. That's classic. Come to think of it, I see a lot of people do that in meetings. My husband does it or he bounces his leg until someone yells at him for bouncing the table. ("Who's doing that?????")

Gates is an example of someone who uses his aspie super powers for good. A lot of people don't like Microsoft - as a company - but Gates is sort of out there on a cloud above it all. And love them or hate them, the business world wouldn't be the same without Word, Excel, the mouse and my favorite: PowerPoint. :hail: People make fun of him - but I think by now everyone acknowledges his (and his wife's) philantropic value.

MmeLePen
Veteran
Veteran

08 Mar 2009, 12:53 pm

Batz wrote:
Yep, heard about it. Thinking about it now, I wonder who else famous might have Asperger Syndrome, mainly black (that's because I'm a black aspie.) I'm glad that one of us made an entire franchise successful enough to be a classic. That's amazing.

Also read you Spongebob fanfics. I can actually imagin them as if they were the real thing, and I don't watch spongebob that often because of other things. Are you going to write for a career? Perhaps screenwriting?

Dave Chappelle? Terrell Owens? (I hear he was a total geek when he was a kid-had no friends. I relate to TO in a sick sad way. Not something I'd tell my NT friends. Everyone just thinks he's a primadonna)

I suspect Obama is. I've heard commentators say he's very introverted - meaning he spends a lot of time in his head thinking. When he speaks, he's totally in the zone. He has completely mastered (loves) language. He has his rituals. He's very inquisitive. He likes sci-fi. (Geek!) He's a struggling ex-smoker - suggesting hyper-activity and OCD. (Clearly, he knows smoking is bad and he doesn't seem like he hangs out with smokers - so its something more than just being addicted to nicotine) He is very charismatic but he's also aloof. (In a good way!)

Just a theory...but he'd be a damned good role model! 8)

I've also heard many of the earlier presidents were aspies.

coatsyuk
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

08 Mar 2009, 6:53 pm

theres alot of famous people out there that show traits but never been 100% proven.

Dan Aykroyd once claimed to have aspergers but as this post says Satoshi Tajiri (pokemon creater) shows signs of aspergers and the funny thing is most kids i've meet with Aspergers love pokemon.
So what does that tell you?????

SpongeBobRocksMao
Veteran
Veteran

09 Mar 2009, 11:55 am

I myself actually used to love Pokemon as a child, but started to lose interest somewhere around the 4th season. It was still surprising though when I found out the creator of the programme I once loved so much has the same disability as me.

SpongeBobRocksMao!

MmeLePen
Veteran
Veteran

09 Mar 2009, 12:12 pm

SpongeBobRocksMao wrote:
I myself actually used to love Pokemon as a child, but started to lose interest somewhere around the 4th season. It was still surprising though when I found out the creator of the programme I once loved so much has the same disability as me.

I'm not surprised. My son (who has AS) was obsessed with Pokemon when he was about 8. I didn't get it then - I thought it was bizarre. With my daughter - who I have the gift of spending a lot more time with - I play with them now and totally understand the obsession.

I do have to disagree with one comment - that the dialogue is lame. It sounds REALLY lame if you don't understand what they are saying. But its actually quite clever - even after translation. I can only wonder what it sounds like to Japanese viewers. They use a lot of puns, obscure movie references, the names of the Pokemon are bizarre word games in themselves.

I find Ash to have a very dry and observant - sense of humor - which suggests maybe he's a little detached.

He also doesn't seem to like to be touched and doesn't like lovey dovey stuff. Yet - he has that Pikachu perched on his shoulder most of the time. That's like me and my Jack Russell Terrier.

MmeLePen
Veteran
Veteran

09 Mar 2009, 12:23 pm

SpongeBobRocksMao wrote:

Oh yeah - my son is now 16 and probably be embarrssed by what a Pokemon geek he was. Sounds normal.

Now he's more obsessed with the sewage on MTV but when he plays with his sister - it all comes back to him and he becomes a geek again.
:wink:

MegaAndy
Toucan
Toucan

09 Mar 2009, 1:22 pm

MmeLePen wrote:
my son is now 16 and probably be embarrssed by what a Pokemon geek he was. Sounds normal.

theres absolutely no one of that that age (includin me) that wasnt a pokemon geek :lol: . and poeple at my school still bring in pokemon for a bit of fun (especially for giving pokemon rude and funny names :lol: )

SilverPikmin
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

09 Mar 2009, 2:45 pm

Somehow I doubt that that Myspace really belongs to Satoshi Tajiri. It just seems odd for him to be on Myspace. I wouldn't take it as a personal statement.

SpongeBobRocksMao
Veteran
Veteran

09 Mar 2009, 2:50 pm

SilverPikmin wrote:
Somehow I doubt that that Myspace really belongs to Satoshi Tajiri. It just seems odd for him to be on Myspace. I wouldn't take it as a personal statement.

I know, that's also why I gave the second link, which would be more reliable.

SpongeBobRocksMao!

09 Mar 2009, 3:53 pm

My bf watched this show because his nephew and niece watched it a lot. I asked him about this and he said the characters in it seemed normal to him.

robo37
Veteran
Veteran

09 Mar 2009, 4:01 pm

SpongeBobRocksMao wrote:
Well, I am hoping to make a cartoon for a career. And one of the things I would like to do in making that cartoon would be writing the scripts. :)

I’m trying to become a games designer, and the fact that the creator of the best selling game franchise ever (including the best selling game ever) gives me a huge boost of confidence. :) Hope all you guys buy my games. :D

MmeLePen
Veteran
Veteran

09 Mar 2009, 4:10 pm

robo37 wrote:
SpongeBobRocksMao wrote:
Well, I am hoping to make a cartoon for a career. And one of the things I would like to do in making that cartoon would be writing the scripts. :)

I’m trying to become a games designer, and the fact that the creator of the best selling game franchise ever (including the best selling game ever) gives me a huge boost of confidence. :) Hope all you guys buy my games. :D

Both noble aspirations, indeed!

I LOVE the writing in Spongebob. Not only does it have a lot of inside grown-up jokes, but more thrilling for me is the marine biology references. I saw the one the other day where Spongebob and Patrick get thrown in a giant vat of chum. First of all, they think its a jacuzzi - which is funny enough.

But then when they get out, Spongebob has soaked up all the, ahem - liquid - at least what Patrick didn't drink.

Chum plays a very special but humble (albeit disgusting) place in the heart of marine biologists as well as fisherman. I was in tears!! !

Anyway - I found out awhile ago that Steve Hillenburg studied marine biology so a lot of the subtle behaviors of the sea creatures are based on fact. Like when Squidward does that one performance art piece and gets all disco lighty- That's what squids do when they're agitated or courting!

Anyway - I love complicated humor. That is so cool you want to write comedy! Its still my dream - but I mostly do it to spice up corporate presentation and documents. I could do Daily Show. That's my current dream.

ghfreak13579
Raven
Raven

09 Mar 2009, 4:37 pm

I :heart: Pokemon!

ghfreak13579
Raven
Raven

09 Mar 2009, 4:38 pm

MONKEY wrote:
Poeticromance wrote:

this just says it all

Exactly

Padium
Veteran
Veteran

09 Mar 2009, 4:42 pm

MmeLePen wrote:
SpongeBobRocksMao wrote:

Oh yeah - my son is now 16 and probably be embarrssed by what a Pokemon geek he was. Sounds normal.

Now he's more obsessed with the sewage on MTV but when he plays with his sister - it all comes back to him and he becomes a geek again.
:wink:

At 17/18 me and my techie/anime friends in highschool played pokemon on the DS every day at lunch.