Is Aspergers a disease?
Yes 6%  6%  [ 10 ]
No 94%  94%  [ 163 ]
Total votes : 173

phil777
Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2009, 11:11 am

Diseases don't need to be contagious to be considered as such. -.- Some can easily be delimited to a single person. Such as cancer.

howzat
Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2009, 11:35 am

No.

Kajjie
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

12 Mar 2009, 12:19 pm

I don't like the term 'disease' for it because it implies that it gets progressively worse, and 'disease' is often associated with something potentially fatal or life destroying. However, if someone called it a disease, I think that's just bad word choice, I don't understand why it's offensive.

I would say it's definitely a disorder. I don't like it when people say that it's not a problem. Meltdowns, sensory issues, misunderstandings, accidentally offending people, not being able to communicate things, feeling really confused, needing a precise routine - they are all problems.
I know there are aspects of it that aren't problems, but what defines it and makes it Asperger's Syndrome are the difficulties. This is why I was not diagnosed - I do not have a lot of difficulties due to it.

JetLag
Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2009, 1:58 pm

I voted "no" in the poll. I think AS is a disorder if only for the reason that so often the majority of people who are perceived as normal, the neurotypicals, typically seem to treat anyone who doesn't conform to their standards as being a person out-of-order.

ghfreak13579
Raven
Raven

12 Mar 2009, 2:02 pm

Liresse wrote:
"disease" is a term of the medical perspective. someone is "sick" with a "disease," which is proposed to be "cured" with some sort of "curing agent."

broken leg.
influenza.
AIDS.

(in the medical paradigm, regardless of whether a cure exists or not, it is still a sensible concept to search for a cure.)

Historically, psychological conditions, including schizophrenia, depression and perhaps autism, have fitted poorly with the medical perspective.

Right, there is no cure or treatment for AS. You have to live with it, which is why I voted no.

DeanFoley
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

12 Mar 2009, 2:16 pm

Yes.

Mysty
Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2009, 3:27 pm

Liresse wrote:
"disease" is a term of the medical perspective. someone is "sick" with a "disease," which is proposed to be "cured" with some sort of "curing agent."

broken leg.
influenza.
AIDS.

(in the medical paradigm, regardless of whether a cure exists or not, it is still a sensible concept to search for a cure.)

Historically, psychological conditions, including schizophrenia, depression and perhaps autism, have fitted poorly with the medical perspective.

Now, see, I would define disease even more narrowly. A broken leg is an injury, not a disease.

Cambridge Dictionaries Online has an interesting definition: (an) illness of people, animals, plants, etc., caused by infection or a failure of health rather than by an accident

Autism (includeing Asperger's) seems to have multiple causes. Some of those causes may arguable fall under "failure of health". But some don't.

Generally, the term "disease" just doesn't fit. If thinking of it as something wrong (which is arguable, of course), the term handicap fits better, I think. But better called a difference, because there are plused and minuses.

khelben1979
Toucan
Toucan

12 Mar 2009, 3:32 pm

I voted: no. From what I have understood about Aspergers (which isn't very much) it relates to how the brain is working.

ManErg
Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2009, 5:00 pm

Padium wrote:
zer0netgain wrote:
ManErg wrote:
The problem is that nobody has come up with an inarguable definition of 'normal mental functions' yet.

One would say that whatever represents 51% of the population is "normal." 8O :lol:

No, normal is defined as being one Standard Deviation from the mean.

Where does the definition of 'one standard deviation from the mean' come from? Is it a fixed law of the universe like the proverbial laws of physics? Or is it something like an Income Tax Law that can change as human beings change their mind about things?

Padium wrote:
Once you get further away from the average than 1 standard deviation, it becomes less and less normal. Most data in a set will fall within 1 standard deviation from the mean, the exact number is 68.2%. Within 2 SDs from the mean will hold 95.4% of the data, within 3 SDs will be 99.6%, and within 4 SDs will be 99.8% of the data. Within 1 SD is regarded as normal, thus 68.2% of people are normal.

Yes, that's fine. But how do we *know* that the 68.2% is normal and the rest are, then, abnormal. It looks to me purely like the product of human minds trying to impose some kind of order. A 'rule of thumb'.

The key point is why are we even talking about determining normal and abnormal psychological symptoms this way? Is this how we determine normal or abnormal chicken pox symptoms? No, of course not. We have an objective test and can determine with 99.9% accuracy who has and who hasn't got it. It can't be done with our minds because we have no objective test of what is normal. The question shows up the huge difference between physical illness and very idea of 'mental' illness.

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2009, 6:48 pm

Neither Asperger's nor Autism are diseases. They're both "disorders"--neurological disorders, to be precise. They're the extreme end of the Bell curve, and the cutoff line for autistic or not autistic is the point where it causes significant impairment. Not that you can't also have significant talent; not that they're not perfectly good ways to live; but they do cause problems and that makes them a diagnosis rather than just a personality type. Just because something's a disability doesn't make it bad.

Yes, "significant impairment" is a fuzzy line. Life is fuzzy. Live with it. :P

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com

Padium
Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2009, 7:30 pm

ManErg wrote:
Padium wrote:
zer0netgain wrote:
ManErg wrote:
The problem is that nobody has come up with an inarguable definition of 'normal mental functions' yet.

One would say that whatever represents 51% of the population is "normal." 8O :lol:

No, normal is defined as being one Standard Deviation from the mean.

Where does the definition of 'one standard deviation from the mean' come from? Is it a fixed law of the universe like the proverbial laws of physics? Or is it something like an Income Tax Law that can change as human beings change their mind about things?

Padium wrote:
Once you get further away from the average than 1 standard deviation, it becomes less and less normal. Most data in a set will fall within 1 standard deviation from the mean, the exact number is 68.2%. Within 2 SDs from the mean will hold 95.4% of the data, within 3 SDs will be 99.6%, and within 4 SDs will be 99.8% of the data. Within 1 SD is regarded as normal, thus 68.2% of people are normal.

Yes, that's fine. But how do we *know* that the 68.2% is normal and the rest are, then, abnormal. It looks to me purely like the product of human minds trying to impose some kind of order. A 'rule of thumb'.

The key point is why are we even talking about determining normal and abnormal psychological symptoms this way? Is this how we determine normal or abnormal chicken pox symptoms? No, of course not. We have an objective test and can determine with 99.9% accuracy who has and who hasn't got it. It can't be done with our minds because we have no objective test of what is normal. The question shows up the huge difference between physical illness and very idea of 'mental' illness.

If normality is a multidimensional spectrum, following statistics, there is not going to be a whole whack of differences between that 68.2%, why 68.2? it is a number that is significant in the bell curve. 1 Standard Deviation is defined as being mean difference of all the peices of data from the mean of the data. It just so happens that this is thus the normal range, as it is average, and the number of data points that will be in this average range will always be 68.2% as that is constant and cannot change because of how the standard deviation is derived.

sue88
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

12 Mar 2009, 7:30 pm

A disease to me is not something you are born with but something that infiltrates the body. That is probably wrong but it is the way I think of it.
Autism/Aspergers is a disorder that causes a specific condition.

zer0netgain
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2009, 6:56 am

Padium wrote:
zer0netgain wrote:
ManErg wrote:

No, normal is defined as being one Standard Deviation from the mean. I cannot really explain the standard deviation, but it is like the average difference from the average, being within one standard deviation on either side of the average is considered normal in statistics. Once you get further away from the average than 1 standard deviation, it becomes less and less normal. Most data in a set will fall within 1 standard deviation from the mean, the exact number is 68.2%. Within 2 SDs from the mean will hold 95.4% of the data, within 3 SDs will be 99.6%, and within 4 SDs will be 99.8% of the data. Within 1 SD is regarded as normal, thus 68.2% of people are normal.

Don't worry....I took Statistics in college. I know what you mean. I was being a bit "tongue in cheek"...note the smiles I used.

pandd
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2009, 7:30 am

ManErg wrote:
The key point is why are we even talking about determining normal and abnormal psychological symptoms this way? Is this how we determine normal or abnormal chicken pox symptoms? No, of course not. We have an objective test and can determine with 99.9% accuracy who has and who hasn't got it.

Chicken pox existed before that test existed, as did the idea that there was something to try to make an objective means of testing for. Our technology is limited, and few conditions had objective means of testing for them before we constructed an idea that they were there to test for.

Untonim
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

25 Mar 2012, 6:54 am

I think AS isn't disease.
I think it's the way of another, new, next human version.

Yes, now aspie-people are in minority into the world of nonaspie-people, but all minorities always have difficulties from majorities, it's ok.
And when in far-far-far future aspies will become majority... namely nonaspies will have difficulties :)

I think we perform an important function in human evolution.
We are the atoms of the bridge to Superman :)
Thus Spake Zarathustra :D

P.S. I have a little "evolution" idea about this: http://www.wrongplanet.net/postt193592.html

TechnoDog
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2012, 9:08 am

You guys still not worked out this "Mallard".

The authors studied 60 autistic and 52 normal boys (age, 2 to 16 years) using MRI.

( I know this is not a As one but think about it as a As one. )

http://tsmdel.com/EDU3506/Attachments/a ... autism.pdf

What's the probability of comparing 60 introverts & 52 extroverts.?

Based on the fact that introvets brains are wired different to an extrovert brain. Your only talking about 1 dimension of an "Introvert" or say "Extrovert" since other things can cause it.

Then you get As is different species? Get it?

Just think about it, if they did every test like this. Your only thinking about 1 attribute.

This part would be classed as a "difference" but the rest of it has to cause impairment.

Edit:- it's classed as a disiblity not a disease.

The unbrella term would have those under it.

http://www.ehow.com/info_8130156_differ ... eople.html

?When you make a mistake, don't look back at it long. Take the reason of the thing into your mind and then look forward. Mistakes are lessons of wisdom. The past cannot be changed. The future is yet in your power.?

Last edited by TechnoDog on 25 Mar 2012, 10:48 am, edited 2 times in total.