In what ways do you or have you felt fragile?

Page 1 of 2 [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

AspergianMutantt
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2016, 11:29 pm

Ladies (and men too if they want to add), In what ways do you or have you before felt fragile?

StarTrekker
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2016, 12:02 am

Could you elaborate?

Thanks to Olympiadis for my fantastic avatar!

AspergianMutantt
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2016, 12:46 pm

StarTrekker wrote:
Could you elaborate?

Mentally/Emotionally

Exuvian
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2016, 7:29 pm

All those years when I drove a little too far from home, got lost, frustrated and angry at myself for not being able to intuitively pick up a map and go "oh, of course" or understand directions someone told me. :oops:

Also feel fragile for getting stressed out so easily just because boss is out from work or I have to have an extended conversation with someone. Even thinking about it as I type it makes me feel worried. :(

I guess a positive thing is emotions trigger easily, so it's easy to appreciate a movie/TV show with a really good story. :)

TheAP
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2016, 7:39 pm

I'm fragile in the sense that I'm very sensitive to people's words.

racheypie666
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2016, 7:46 pm

I feel very fragile right now because my depression's been worse than usual today. I woke up feeling listless and sad, and it hasn't let up all day, though I tried as hard as I could to shake it. :( So I already felt fragile to begin with, then I tried to fight back and I lost, which left me feeling even worse.

Kuraudo777
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2016, 7:53 pm

I feel like a fragile flower for many reasons. I'm sensitive to just about everything: what people say, noises, crowds, foods, smells, and so forth.

A memory is something that has to be consciously recalled, right? That's why sometimes it can be mistaken and a different thing. But it's different from a memory locked deep within your heart. Words aren't the only way to tell someone how you feel.” Tifa Lockheart, Final Fantasy VII

Pravda
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

14 Oct 2016, 8:28 pm

I get freakouts over having to deviate from my usual path when I go out; outside of that narrow range, the world feels threatening. It won't show on my face, learned social reactions from years of pretending to be a guy helped me to push that into a much less embarrassing look of agitation, but inside there's a lot of worry. If I'm in a situation where that might happen and I'm alone or with a close friend, full-on panic attack. That was actually my wake-up call to stop denying that yeah, I don't just have depression/anxiety. My childhood psych was right, it's undergirded by asperger's.

Exception: it goes away if I have someone else alongside me, but that's because having another person around gives me confidence. Either they'll lead the way, or I'll rise to the occasion. In that circumstance going off exploring on vacation or similar can even be pretty fun, but it's backed up by the unspoken fragility of "I won't really be lost because there's a person here with me."

Also I hate being alone for long stretches and feel weak then as well.

Don't believe the gender tag. I was born intersex and identify as queer, girl-leaning. So while I can sometimes present as an effeminate guy, that's less than half the time and if anything I'd prefer it say "female" of the two choices offered. I can't change it though, it's bugged.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2016, 12:03 am

I almost had a brush with suicide when my mum was expressing her hatred of Germans to me over the phone the evening before I went back to my bank job after being on sick leave for two weeks, this past February. I got rid of that feeling very quickly because I'm Pro-Life. It's not my fault I took over the Germans on my Dad's mostly British side of my family.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2016, 1:01 am

My anxiety makes me fragile.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2016, 1:08 am

I tend to be fragile physically [always on the frail side] as well as psychically when exposed to others' strong emotions.

Shahunshah
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2016, 1:15 am

I am fragile when faced with a social situation where I am unfamiliar/uncomfortable with those there. However in that scenario I can snap out of it when the topic of conversation gets interesting.

Pravda
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

15 Oct 2016, 1:34 am

Shahunshah wrote:
I am fragile when faced with a social situation where I am unfamiliar/uncomfortable with those there. However in that scenario I can snap out of it when the topic of conversation gets interesting.

Yeah, I'm like this as well, except less "fragile" and more "awkward." I feel nervous and like a loser who has nothing interesting to offer, but it's very different from the anxiety-driven feeling I get when trying to navigate new places or left alone for a long time. Then if the topic gets interesting, I finally feel like I might have some minor thing to offer and get very "into" the conversation.

Exception: debates with people I don't know well, where I definitely feel fragile. I get mega-anxious and have a tendency to internally flip out for fear that I might be making my side look bad whether my points have more merit or not. Which makes me sputter nervously, seethe grumpily, and awkwardly misphrase things, which in turn actually makes me look bad regardless of my points' merit. It's a pretty vicious cycle, and even extends to ones online, though I've learned to hold the sputtering/seething in and not let it show. I also feel obligated to respond so that it doesn't look like my "side" lost due to lack of merit rather than my personal stress, raising it and often giving me headaches which continue until it's over and I grab a glass of lemonade. It's all a shame, because I actually on some level also really enjoy point-by-point arguments, sharing ideas and all. If I do know someone well, I feel at ease and thrive in them.

Don't believe the gender tag. I was born intersex and identify as queer, girl-leaning. So while I can sometimes present as an effeminate guy, that's less than half the time and if anything I'd prefer it say "female" of the two choices offered. I can't change it though, it's bugged.

b9
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2016, 2:56 am

i feel fragile in a physical sense.
i can not tell how my heart continues to beat all the time without faltering.
every second, it has to go to work in a pulsing contraction.
if anything interferes in any way with that process that i have no control over i will die.

it is a kind of precarious feeling of leaving my life in the hands of some grand natural process that i must have faith will continue to operate flawlessly.

Sabreclaw
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2016, 7:50 am

Loneliness has made me emotionally fragile.

Spiderpig
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2016, 9:02 am

Every time my interests clash with someone else's, because the exchange follows this pattern:

• Optionally they try to BS me into accepting I don't really want what I want. I used to be misled every single time by what looked to me like they were willing to debate rationally, so I took care to refute their BS. This, of course, pissed them off. I've since slowly learned that people essentially never want to reason with me, and, when they appear to, it's code for "Yield now that I've graciously given you a chance to do it without looking too humiliated to neurotypicals (even though you can't tell this is the case, as swallowing my BS already makes you feel like crap), or you'll have to yield the hard way, which will be much more obvious and unpleasant to everyone, but especially to you, in addition to more humiliating".

• They remind me they can take whatever they want from me by force, physically hurt me as much as necessary to get what they want from me, or get a third party to do it. The last possibility is typical when the person whose interest clashes with mine is female, disabled in any readily apparent or widely acknowledged way, significantly older or younger than me or otherwise morally exempt from beating the s**t out of me themself. I can't remember ever being physically stronger or better prepared for combat than anyone without it being dishonorable of me to take advantage of it, while it always seemed honorable for others to put me in my place by force. That's where my "fragility" resides. Everything would be much easier if people just respected one another with no need to impose that respect by force, but I think it's as unrealistic as expecting a lion not to devour a lamb.

The red lake has been forgotten. A dust devil stuns you long enough to shroud forever those last shards of wisdom. The breeze rocking this forlorn wasteland whispers in your ears, “Não resta mais que uma sombra”.