Page 1 of 3 [ 46 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

StampySquiddyFan
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 19 Jul 2017
Age: 16
Gender: Female
Posts: 3,754
Location: Stampy's Lovely World

28 Jul 2017, 8:31 pm

This is such a ridiculous post, but I kind of need some advice on how to not be so obsessed with things. I know some people here say it's impossible to stop an autism obsession, but I just want to find out if there is any way to at least stop it partially. Basically, I have been posting here so much my arms are starting to get really sore and throb constantly (I said this was ridiculous :D ). I'm developing carpel tunnel syndrome and I might need surgery in the future if I don't take a break and rest my arms. Does anybody have any tips on how to at least minimize an obsession?


_________________
Hi! I'm Stampy (not the actual YouTuber, just a fan!) and I have been diagnosed professionally with ASD and OCD and likely have TS. If you have any questions or just want to talk, please feel free to PM me!

Current Interests: Stampy Cat, AGT, and Medicine


shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

Joined: 4 Mar 2017
Age: 36
Gender: Male
Posts: 7,653

28 Jul 2017, 8:44 pm

the counselor told me a mantra.

while this does not immediately, completely, permanently, or effortlessly work, it is better than nothing.

when i find myself thinking about obsessions from the distant past: social rejection, homophobia, $$, getting fired, flunking Structural Engineering, rape, and et cetera, i think to myself

:lol: "here and now". :twisted:

in other words, it is not that those obsessions are bad or wrong. but it is that it would behoove me to put more emphasis on what is happening here and now. and less emphasis on what happened back then.



Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 29 Oct 2011
Gender: Female
Posts: 5,956
Location: ᜆᜄᜎᜓᜄ᜔

29 Jul 2017, 2:51 am

Lose the need. Or at least reduce it. That includes the need for comfort, predictability, and whatever need that defines as addiction or obsession -- assurance, the 'must know it/do it', etc...
Or try shifting your focus and energy to another. Which is tricky and jarring if done wrong because it requires major change.

Yet I'm very sure that certain needs cannot be dropped.



Maybe, try managing your time. Or make it a reward from a self-imposed challenge.


_________________
Gained Number Post Count (1).
Lose Time (n).


Raleigh
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 7 Jul 2014
Gender: Male
Posts: 30,792
Location: Out of my mind

29 Jul 2017, 4:23 am

I got nothing.


_________________
It's like I'm sleepwalking


Raleigh
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 7 Jul 2014
Gender: Male
Posts: 30,792
Location: Out of my mind

29 Jul 2017, 4:38 am

This is why I have a thread called WP Addicts Anonymous with 2049 pages. :roll:


_________________
It's like I'm sleepwalking


anti_gone
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

Joined: 18 Jul 2017
Gender: Female
Posts: 237

29 Jul 2017, 6:12 am

StampySquiddyFan wrote:
This is such a ridiculous post, but I kind of need some advice on how to not be so obsessed with things. I know some people here say it's impossible to stop an autism obsession, but I just want to find out if there is any way to at least stop it partially. Basically, I have been posting here so much my arms are starting to get really sore and throb constantly (I said this was ridiculous :D ). I'm developing carpel tunnel syndrome and I might need surgery in the future if I don't take a break and rest my arms. Does anybody have any tips on how to at least minimize an obsession?


I know what you mean... you spend like 4-8 hours here on wp each day and that's definitely way too much. I'm here on this board way too often, too, but for me this is more of an exception (I hope so) because of my current situation which makes me quite anxious and stuff. On the other hand, I still go out and meet people.

Have you talked to your parents about that? I remember starting using message boards when I was 14 (so about your age) and I was soooo excited I could talk to like-minded people.

Your parents might think this is good for you, but this is getting to your health. You need to go out and do sports of some kind.

Have you tried geocaching? I was totally obsessed about that in the beginning when I hadn't already collected most of the caches in the direct vicinity :lol: Ok, you'll need your smartphone for that, but I guess that's ok for carpel tunnel syndrome? Also you don't have to use it the whole time, you will spend most of the time walking to the cache spot.



anti_gone
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

Joined: 18 Jul 2017
Gender: Female
Posts: 237

29 Jul 2017, 6:17 am

No idea why geocaching is not more popular with ASD people:
-You can do it on your own, but you can also do it with friends. You don't need any social skills.
-You can do it wherever and wherever you want to.
-There are mystery caches where you can solve all sorts of riddles.
-It's about collecting.
-No multi-tasking necessary but instead real focus on the task.
-You don't have to be good at sports for most geocaches. And when you have to be, this is indicated by the T rating.
-It has a clear goal and you will usually be very satisfied.
-It makes you more mindful (in my opinion) because you will have to pay attention to your environment. You will notice things you have never noticed before.



IstominFan
Veteran
Veteran

Joined: 25 Nov 2016
Age: 55
Gender: Female
Posts: 11,114
Location: Santa Maria, CA.

29 Jul 2017, 6:21 am

My tennis instructor said it's important to have a balance between the indoor life and the outdoor life. Get outside and take a break every so often. It will make you feel better.



StampySquiddyFan
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 19 Jul 2017
Age: 16
Gender: Female
Posts: 3,754
Location: Stampy's Lovely World

29 Jul 2017, 7:50 am

Raleigh wrote:
This is why I have a thread called WP Addicts Anonymous with 2049 pages. :roll:


:roll: lol


_________________
Hi! I'm Stampy (not the actual YouTuber, just a fan!) and I have been diagnosed professionally with ASD and OCD and likely have TS. If you have any questions or just want to talk, please feel free to PM me!

Current Interests: Stampy Cat, AGT, and Medicine


StampySquiddyFan
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 19 Jul 2017
Age: 16
Gender: Female
Posts: 3,754
Location: Stampy's Lovely World

29 Jul 2017, 7:51 am

Edna3362 wrote:
Lose the need. Or at least reduce it. That includes the need for comfort, predictability, and whatever need that defines as addiction or obsession -- assurance, the 'must know it/do it', etc...
Or try shifting your focus and energy to another. Which is tricky and jarring if done wrong because it requires major change.

Yet I'm very sure that certain needs cannot be dropped.



Maybe, try managing your time. Or make it a reward from a self-imposed challenge.


Thanks for your advice. I'm going to try making it a reward to "give myself" if I do something else for a while :D .


_________________
Hi! I'm Stampy (not the actual YouTuber, just a fan!) and I have been diagnosed professionally with ASD and OCD and likely have TS. If you have any questions or just want to talk, please feel free to PM me!

Current Interests: Stampy Cat, AGT, and Medicine


StampySquiddyFan
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 19 Jul 2017
Age: 16
Gender: Female
Posts: 3,754
Location: Stampy's Lovely World

29 Jul 2017, 7:54 am

anti_gone wrote:
StampySquiddyFan wrote:
This is such a ridiculous post, but I kind of need some advice on how to not be so obsessed with things. I know some people here say it's impossible to stop an autism obsession, but I just want to find out if there is any way to at least stop it partially. Basically, I have been posting here so much my arms are starting to get really sore and throb constantly (I said this was ridiculous :D ). I'm developing carpel tunnel syndrome and I might need surgery in the future if I don't take a break and rest my arms. Does anybody have any tips on how to at least minimize an obsession?


I know what you mean... you spend like 4-8 hours here on wp each day and that's definitely way too much. I'm here on this board way too often, too, but for me this is more of an exception (I hope so) because of my current situation which makes me quite anxious and stuff. On the other hand, I still go out and meet people.

Have you talked to your parents about that? I remember starting using message boards when I was 14 (so about your age) and I was soooo excited I could talk to like-minded people.

Your parents might think this is good for you, but this is getting to your health. You need to go out and do sports of some kind.

Have you tried geocaching? I was totally obsessed about that in the beginning when I hadn't already collected most of the caches in the direct vicinity :lol: Ok, you'll need your smartphone for that, but I guess that's ok for carpel tunnel syndrome? Also you don't have to use it the whole time, you will spend most of the time walking to the cache spot.


My parents say I should really lay off typing for a day or two, but I really love it here :D . I'll look into geocaching. It seems fun. Other than that, I blatantly suck at every sport under the sun.


_________________
Hi! I'm Stampy (not the actual YouTuber, just a fan!) and I have been diagnosed professionally with ASD and OCD and likely have TS. If you have any questions or just want to talk, please feel free to PM me!

Current Interests: Stampy Cat, AGT, and Medicine


StampySquiddyFan
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 19 Jul 2017
Age: 16
Gender: Female
Posts: 3,754
Location: Stampy's Lovely World

29 Jul 2017, 7:55 am

IstominFan wrote:
My tennis instructor said it's important to have a balance between the indoor life and the outdoor life. Get outside and take a break every so often. It will make you feel better.


Thanks for your advice, IstominFan. I might try taking a walk every now and then when it isn't raining :D .


_________________
Hi! I'm Stampy (not the actual YouTuber, just a fan!) and I have been diagnosed professionally with ASD and OCD and likely have TS. If you have any questions or just want to talk, please feel free to PM me!

Current Interests: Stampy Cat, AGT, and Medicine


IstominFan
Veteran
Veteran

Joined: 25 Nov 2016
Age: 55
Gender: Female
Posts: 11,114
Location: Santa Maria, CA.

29 Jul 2017, 10:06 am

My biggest problem when working on the computer was eyestrain. It was particularly bad before I got my new glasses. My eyes would tear up so bad I could hardly see straight and I got bad headaches. Taking a rest still helps me a lot, since I read and type on the computer quite a bit.



StampySquiddyFan
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 19 Jul 2017
Age: 16
Gender: Female
Posts: 3,754
Location: Stampy's Lovely World

29 Jul 2017, 10:09 am

IstominFan wrote:
My biggest problem when working on the computer was eyestrain. It was particularly bad before I got my new glasses. My eyes would tear up so bad I could hardly see straight and I got bad headaches. Taking a rest still helps me a lot, since I read and type on the computer quite a bit.


Gosh, that doesn't sound fun. I guess our interests can really kill us :D .


_________________
Hi! I'm Stampy (not the actual YouTuber, just a fan!) and I have been diagnosed professionally with ASD and OCD and likely have TS. If you have any questions or just want to talk, please feel free to PM me!

Current Interests: Stampy Cat, AGT, and Medicine


kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 4 Feb 2014
Gender: Male
Posts: 70,764
Location: Queens, NYC

29 Jul 2017, 10:11 am

I've been working on computers for almost 40 years. Constant, constant typing. I never developed carpal tunnel syndrome; perhaps I can count myself fortunate?

Yep....I agree. If it's a nice day, why not go for a walk?

But I don't think being on WP is really unhealthy. I think it's actually teaching you things.

A heck of a lot better than being obsessed with Grand Theft Auto or something of that ilk.



SaveFerris
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 3 Sep 2016
Gender: Male
Posts: 14,690
Location: UK

29 Jul 2017, 11:05 am

Yep , My names Ferris and I'm an addict. I hoping that I'll be able to curb it once I've had an assessment.


_________________
R Tape loading error, 0:1

Hypocrisy is the greatest luxury. Raise the double standard