Cutting:So it's more common with aspies? Let's see!

Page 2 of 4 [ 57 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Cutting?
Nope 50%  50%  [ 60 ]
I've tried it B4 19%  19%  [ 23 ]
I've got a few scars/fresh wounds 21%  21%  [ 25 ]
I've really f****d myself up! 10%  10%  [ 12 ]
Total votes : 120

Birdgirl
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

26 Mar 2009, 3:06 pm

Used to. I still have lots of big ugly scars from it all over my thighs, and on my left wrist. I also have always picked and scratched at my legs (that's the one thing I still do).

MegaAndy
Toucan
Toucan

26 Mar 2009, 3:13 pm

Callista wrote:
The poll's not going to get a good response if you directly put the poll subject in the title--probably you'll get more people saying "yes", because those people are more likely to click on the topic.

this is exactly wot i thought wen i read it but i thought i would go on it to make up numbers :lol:

MissConstrue
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2009, 3:16 pm

Yes but it wasn't something I did on routine or anything.

It would happen when I'd get real upset.

Twice I cut so deep I had to get stiches.

And no, I didn't do it for attention, I really have had spouts with suicide and depression. I'm on more medication because of this. Also, I use to tear my hear out....I don't know if these were meltdowns or what. I do know that I've been in hospital wards over 5 times but have no psychotic disorders.

I'm doing much better now and haven't been to a hospital for a while now.

millie
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2009, 3:25 pm

Yes. my upper arms and my left in particular below the fanged skull tattoo (yes...i know...) have a lot of scars. the scars on my thigh have healed and there are odd little scars here and there.

some autistics have body agnosia. i certainly did when i was younger - areas of my body with almost no feeling or disconnection from other parts. OTher areas with such intense feeling it was unbearable. I have heard Donna Williams talk about this and i relate. the cutting was indeed related to this.
Up until my mid thirties my top half and bottom half of my body were not properly connected. well they physioligcally , but NOT in a unified sensory sense.

Cutting?
i don;t do it at all anymore. have not done it since my early thirties.

-Vorzac-
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

26 Mar 2009, 3:29 pm

I've personally never seen the appeal.

In fact, when I was younger, i held it in great distain, because all the teenager I knew who did it were so vocal about how 'terrible' their lives were, for the most trivial of reasons. As someone who had a pretty s**t childhood and the psychological damage to show for it, I deeply resented people who blow things out of proportion, but I've mellowed out a bit about it now.

protest_the_hero
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2009, 3:29 pm

I see I'm far from alone in this. I voted for the 3rd option.

MissConstrue
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2009, 3:51 pm

^You're still cutting?

EDIT:

Sorry I guess that's a personal question.

mitharatowen
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2009, 4:26 pm

-Vorzac- wrote:
In fact, when I was younger, i held it in great distain, because all the teenager I knew who did it were so vocal about how 'terrible' their lives were, for the most trivial of reasons. As someone who had a pretty sh** childhood and the psychological damage to show for it, I deeply resented people who blow things out of proportion, but I've mellowed out a bit about it now.

I agree with this. Some people do have real problems and far be it from me to determine who. However, I know for certain that there are some youths who do it stritcly for the attention. And I think this kind of makes those of us who don't look stupid(er). I know that I did not do it for attention at all. I would do it in an area covered by clothing (eg my thigh or shoulder) and the days after the suicide attempt, I wore long sleeves. My mother never even knew. I didn't want anyone to notice or care.

serenity
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2009, 4:49 pm

I used to cut myself when I was was about 15-16. Not for very long, and most definetly NOT for attention. I never wanted anyone to know, and went to drastic measures to cover it up. It was a very difficult time in my life, and I had no way of even identifying my emotions, much less getting them out properly. It was during that same period of time that I head banged during meltdowns, too. I never really did that before, or since, either.

KingdomOfRats
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2009, 5:11 pm

cut for various reasons including to communicate something to others when unable to use any other way,and sensory seeking due to having no pain threshold [feel no pain at all] on outer body.

>>>help to keep bullying off our community,report it!

Xanderbeanz
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2009, 5:48 pm

sorry guys, i kinda think cutting is pathetic...could you not pick up an instrument or start drawing/writing or something and let your emotions out that way? it's far more productive.

cutting is not cool.x

buryuntime
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2009, 6:47 pm

yes.

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2009, 9:37 pm

Xanderbeanz wrote:
sorry guys, i kinda think cutting is pathetic...could you not pick up an instrument or start drawing/writing or something and let your emotions out that way? it's far more productive.

cutting is not cool.x
Yeah, we didn't really do it to be cool, you know. Plus, for me it wasn't feelings; it was stress, plain and simple. It was a way to keep from having a meltdown. Sure, there are better ways; but when you don't even know you're autistic and have no clue they're meltdowns and not immature tantrums out of the blue, it's pretty hard to find a better way.

mitharatowen--I noticed you referred to yours as a "suicide attempt". I don't understand why; you were cutting in areas you knew were non-lethal, and you planned to live afterward, as you were planning to cover up. People do erroneously call self-injury a "suicide attempt", but I've never met anyone who actually made obviously non-lethal injuries and still referred to it that way. Do you call it that because others did, or because that's what you felt it was?

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com

Danielismyname
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2009, 9:46 pm

Xanderbeanz wrote:

cutting is not cool.x

Is that you in your avatar? Or perhaps it's a personification? If so, either way, you look like a total fag who deserves to be beaten up for looking so gay.

The moral of this story is, don't judge what you don't understand.

millie
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2009, 9:55 pm

Quote:
-Vorzac- wrote:
I've personally never seen the appeal.

In fact, when I was younger, i held it in great distain, because all the teenager I knew who did it were so vocal about how 'terrible' their lives were, for the most trivial of reasons. As someone who had a pretty sh** childhood and the psychological damage to show for it, I deeply resented people who blow things out of proportion, but I've mellowed out a bit about it now.

vorzac, who said it was about "appeal?"
glad to hear you have mellowed out a bit. :wink:

McTell
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2009, 9:57 pm

I have never cut myself, but I do not judge those who do. How could I, what right do I have?

When I was wee, I used to strike myself on the head with my palms because it soothed me when I was upset. Is this in some way better, worthy of more social acceptance, because it doesn't leave a mark? I do not think so.

I may not understand cutting in any way, but that does not give me the right to condemn it - no matter how human such a reaction is.

(Euch, this post uses two rhetorical questions. Please excuse that).