Page 1 of 4 [ 57 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2009, 9:16 am

Bataar wrote:
I'm definitely a pessimist and was wondering where other Aspies stand. It's really irritating, but no matter what I've tried, I haven't been able to work around it. I'll be talking with someone about a problem I'm facing and they'll make suggestions. Almost before they're done making the suggestion, I can tell them all the problems with it and can't convince myself the solution is worth it if it requires overcoming those problems. With ideas, people, anything, the first thing I notice are its flaws.

I am a realist. In the long run we will all be dead.

Even the cosmos is doomed to cool off and die, so in the very longest run everything is futile.

ruveyn

RandomKid
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2009, 9:18 am

Pessimistic. However I try to see whats real and totally not going to happen.

MmeLePen
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2009, 9:27 am

That's assuming death is bad. ^^^

I am actually quite curious to find out how it goes - what with all the build-up. I won't rush it - but I want to find out if you really see a bright light, and all your dead relatives and stuff. What if there really is a St. Peter at the Pearly Gates...wouldn't that be so cool?

I don't believe in heaven or hell - but maybe, just maybe - it'll be something like Albert Brooks' Defending Your Life. And nothing really changes that much - but you make new friends. Most likely, it'll be nothing - which sounds very relaxing.

I am working on my living will. Its very important that we all do that.

I have already started planning my funeral. Cremation. Beach party. Ashes disposed of in a legal and environmentally way - hopefully in the ocean. Lot's of booze and other stuff. Mountains of fresh seafood. All my favorite music. Hmmm...wonder if there are any beaches in the US or Mexico that allow funeral pyres.

Peko
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2009, 10:51 am

I am naturally a pessimist. But after reading the Secret I realized whatever I want tends to happen (if I think something will go well it will or if I think it will be bad it will be bad) (p.s. thinking/saying not negates whatever you say/think) (ex. I am not pretty, people will probably think you are pretty, or I am not a sick twisted, thoughtless fool, meaning you are a sick...). You are whatever you believe you are. So I became more optimistic and its great! But I recognize reality and that nothing is perfect.

I cannot call myself a realist though b/c I have been called an anti-realist 8)

Me likey... don't care about spelling at the moment, sorry to paranoid spellers, etc. who read this.

KingdomOfRats
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2009, 11:30 am

realist at core,with some optimism.
some people see am as pessamist because they dont understand the amount of complex needs,challenges,and bad treatment off others that have to deal with on a daily basis,it isn't pesamism,it's just life.

the optimistic side gives ability to not automatically think of self as unable to do most things,only finding that out through trying,and trying again if first time doesnt work,and to believe that no matter what sort of inbuilt difficulties someone has [if any] or however severe or mild they are,that person can't magically lose their difficulties but they can always work with what they were given.

>>>help to keep bullying off our community,report it!

racemare
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

07 Apr 2009, 11:58 am

Bataar wrote:
I'm definitely a pessimist and was wondering where other Aspies stand.

My family has told me repeatedly that I am always finding the "doom & gloom" in everything. It bothers them greatly (they are all avowed optimists). My father won't take anything I say seriously because he always assumes that I am crying wolf or just being difficult, even if I am 100% right. He just dismisses my thoughts as biased due to my "pessimism." Personally, I don't think I am truly a pessimist. I just refuse to live life through rose-colored glasses. And I like to prepare for the worst because I hate surprises.

Bataar wrote:
With ideas, people, anything, the first thing I notice are its flaws.

This I can really relate to. I always notice things that are "wrong" or out of place. I can solve most fictional mysteries quickly and easily because I usually notice the early "clues" that most people miss. I can instantly spot spelling errors, grammatical errors, problems in theories, etc. It drives the people around me crazy sometimes because I will point out a problem with something, but I generally can't provide a solution. So I think people just assume that I am trying to be negative, not realizing that my motivation is not coming from a desire to be contrary, but rather an inability to let a problem that is obvious to me go unnoticed. I have never found anyone else with this "special ability." Is this an Aspie thing? Are there any other Aspies out there who can relate to this?

Willard
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2009, 12:17 pm

My glass is both half full and half-empty, though I often despair how I will ever replenish it once it's all gone. So I just sit and watch it evaporate, rather than drink.

I do think that sometimes that tendency to manufacture a hundred arguments for why something can't work, is an Aspie masking mechanism, because we don't know how to explain to the NT mind why WE personally can't make something work the same way THEY can. What sounds like a perfectly reasonable idea on paper may be simple for them and virtually impossible for the autistic brain. But try to tell an NT that - they can't wrap their heads around it, so you find yourself making excuses for why 'that won't work', or 'can't be done'.

Homer_Bob
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2009, 12:21 pm

Pessimist like you wouldn't believe. It's much easier living life as a pessimist because you can never be truly disappointed. Life is full of disappointments so you might as well be used to it.

sjamaan
Raven
Raven

07 Apr 2009, 1:09 pm

I always spot holes and mistakes, and am always the first to recognise really fundamental mistakes.

Not sure if that makes me a pessimist or it's just that I'm very realistic about things.

However, I also have a bad case of hubris, thinking that I can fix all problems given enough time. You won't hear me say something can't be done, unless I'm very sure it's really impossible.

That could qualify me as an uncurable optimist :)

Zand
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

07 Apr 2009, 1:27 pm

Homer_Bob wrote:
Pessimist like you wouldn't believe. It's much easier living life as a pessimist because you can never be truly disappointed. Life is full of disappointments so you might as well be used to it.

I would have to say I'm the same as you.

Hala
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

07 Apr 2009, 2:06 pm

Zand wrote:
Homer_Bob wrote:

I would have to say I'm the same as you.

Me too.

SilverStar
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2009, 2:18 pm

realist/pessimistic...

Being a realist/pessimistic person helps keep you out of situations you don't want to be in, but being optimistic helps you be a little happier and enjoy life more.

Vimse
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

07 Apr 2009, 2:18 pm

Am definitely a pessimist.

AceOfSpades
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2009, 3:07 pm

Optimist. It's not that I think more positively, but I don't take life too seriously. s**t happens, live goes on, etc. This is really the only time I can relate to corny phrases hahaha.

SpongeBobRocksMao
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2009, 3:10 pm

I'm usually optimistic, although on occasions I can be pesimistic.

SpongeBobRocksMao!

ThisisjusthowItalk
Raven
Raven

07 Apr 2009, 6:26 pm

Bataar wrote:
I'm definitely a pessimist and was wondering where other Aspies stand. It's really irritating, but no matter what I've tried, I haven't been able to work around it. I'll be talking with someone about a problem I'm facing and they'll make suggestions. Almost before they're done making the suggestion, I can tell them all the problems with it and can't convince myself the solution is worth it if it requires overcoming those problems. With ideas, people, anything, the first thing I notice are its flaws.
Refer to yourself as "cautious and critical," and adopt a smug, superior attitude about it. It's very satisfying. Trust me.

I'm a hopeless optimist. This is partially due to going through severe depressive episodes in my past. Believe me, after you've died and come back to life a few times, it's natural to feel a bit immortal.