Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2009, 6:07 pm

Realist

Kaysea
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2009, 9:26 pm

What if one were, "Optimistic that something really bad was about to happen." What would this qualify as?

makuranososhi
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2009, 10:48 pm

Bataar wrote:
I'm definitely a pessimist and was wondering where other Aspies stand. It's really irritating, but no matter what I've tried, I haven't been able to work around it. I'll be talking with someone about a problem I'm facing and they'll make suggestions. Almost before they're done making the suggestion, I can tell them all the problems with it and can't convince myself the solution is worth it if it requires overcoming those problems. With ideas, people, anything, the first thing I notice are its flaws.

I guess I am a happy pessimist... I'm surprised when things go well; when things fail, then it isn't as much a surprise. But I don't look for the bad solely - people start out as whole stone and sculpt themselves in my mind as opposed to a more constructionist approach.

M.

For those who seek an alternative, it is coming.

So long, and thanks for all the fish!

Kaysea
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2009, 3:08 pm

makuranososhi wrote:
Bataar wrote:
I'm definitely a pessimist and was wondering where other Aspies stand. It's really irritating, but no matter what I've tried, I haven't been able to work around it. I'll be talking with someone about a problem I'm facing and they'll make suggestions. Almost before they're done making the suggestion, I can tell them all the problems with it and can't convince myself the solution is worth it if it requires overcoming those problems. With ideas, people, anything, the first thing I notice are its flaws.

I guess I am a happy pessimist... I'm surprised when things go well; when things fail, then it isn't as much a surprise. But I don't look for the bad solely - people start out as whole stone and sculpt themselves in my mind as opposed to a more constructionist approach.

M.

In all honesty, though, this pretty much sums me up.

marshall
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2009, 8:52 pm

I consider myself a realist but it usually comes across as pessimism.

Basically I need to have something tangible to feel optimistic about. I don't know how to trick my brain into seeing hope when the situation shows no signs of hope. It's almost as hard as convincing myself that Santa-Claus exists when I know he doesn't. I need an assurance of truth to feel confident about anything.

marshall
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2009, 8:57 pm

makuranososhi wrote:
M.

I don't understand how that works. I used to think that way but then I developed anhedonia. If I don't have anything positive to look forward to I can't motivate myself to try much. I don't get the enjoyment of anticipation when I'm never expecting anything good. Then even when something goes well the happiness will be fleeting. I need optimism but as I said the hope has to be something real and tangible.

Last edited by marshall on 10 Apr 2009, 9:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

makuranososhi
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2009, 9:03 pm

marshall wrote:
makuranososhi wrote:
M.

I don't understand how that works. I used to think that way but then I developed anhedonia. If I don't have anything positive to look forward to I can't motivate myself to try much.

I can understand that; when I become hypercritical is is difficult for me to find happiness and hope within myself due to the hypersensitivity. But those times occur less often now, and I don't look for the bad in situations or people - I've only learned that Murphy is a determined SOB who is bound and determined to make his influence known in life, so it is best to expect that things will go wrong, that there will be problems along the way, instead of idealization.

M.

For those who seek an alternative, it is coming.

So long, and thanks for all the fish!

tweety_fan
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2009, 11:43 pm

pessimist for the most part.

ProfessorX
Veteran
Veteran

11 Apr 2009, 10:10 am

Bataar, this is not an easy question to answer as, over the years I've been somewhat pessimistic about some things but, optmistic about others therefore, I'd say it depends yet, nowdays, I try to be more optimistic for, most of the difficulites I've had are not as bad as, one could make them out to be. 2nd, You could say that whether one is pessimistic or optimistic depends upon a whole host of various factors and variables in all fellow Aspergians life's and such..

ProfessorX

Jamin
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

11 Apr 2009, 1:25 pm

Pessimoptimist. :wink:

EnglishLulu
Veteran
Veteran

11 Apr 2009, 2:56 pm

Optimistic pessimist.

I hope for the best, but I try not to be too downhearted if the worst transpires.

Adam-Anti-Um
Veteran
Veteran

13 Apr 2009, 8:45 am

I tend to fluctuate between optimism, pessimism and realism. I'd like to think that I'm a realist though.

"We can spend the rest of our existences stomping on the ants that are mysteriously coming out from under the refridgerator, or we can remove the spoiled food behind it which is causing the infestation to begin with." - Peter Joseph