Page 1 of 3 [ 42 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

zeldapsychology
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2009, 9:46 am

For me the answer is no. I have to plan stuff out such as I'm going to do A,B,C and often get distracted with the internet (Like now LOL!) and there have been too many times to count where mom says do 1,2,3 I do 1 then ask what the other 2 were LOL!

Ichinin
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2009, 10:08 am

Multitasking is the ability to do many things at the same time, not to be able to do one thing, then two other things at a later stage.

iceb
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2009, 10:29 am

No.

Doncostello
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

20 Apr 2009, 11:28 am

yes. i can read, watch TV and listen to music at the same time, for example.
also, you should live by one of the philosophy's below.
you aren't me, therefore you are irrelevant (i personally follow this one.)
they cannot break you if you have no spine.

mitharatowen
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2009, 11:33 am

I can, but only very limitedly. EG I can work with my radio on now which I didn't used to be able to do. I can hold a conversation with a passenger while driving. But it takes extra concentration and that is about the limit of my capacity. If I have a really tough issue at work, I have to turn my radio off to be able to deal with it :lol:

AmberEyes
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2009, 11:46 am

No.

However, I can switch from one task to another if I have to:

Spend 30 minutes exclusively on one task and the next 30 minutes on another.
Usually in complete silence (if the task is mentally intensive).

10 minute slots minimum.

I can however cook simple dishes and do chemistry experiments if they're well planned out:

"While the water is boiling, measure out X"

"Clean out vessel A while Y evaporates"

Titration is about as close to multitasking as I can get.
There is a certain technique to it and it does require practice:
My left hand operates the tap *faucet* on the titration apparatus, while my right hand swirls the solution in the flask.

I think that answering the phone while writing notes and eating a sandwich while the radio is blaring away and kids are screaming in the background is a million times harder than performing an accurate titration.

Filip
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

20 Apr 2009, 11:57 am

Euhm, I doubt. I can read a book and listen to the radio, but when I'm honest, most of the time I am focussing on one thing. Or I am really reading a book and I hear that the radio is playing, but I don't really pay attention to what is playing or otherwise the music gets the upper hand and I can't focus on the reading. Also, when having a telephone conversation, I can have it difficult to listen and at the same time write something down. But sometimes I can manage to multitask. So, I doubt.

ryan93
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2009, 12:02 pm

With a lot of practice, I've become great at it :) I'm a graphics designer, forumite and blogger, and I have to juggle all those things at once :)

Mikhaillost
Toucan
Toucan

20 Apr 2009, 12:02 pm

I can if it is something liek.... Like now I am Sociology and I can surf the internet or play game and I will still be able to pass the tests. I don't know how but it works. I can also read/watch tv and so on.... Is that multitasking?

amazon_television
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2009, 12:10 pm

I am WAY more efficient if I can do things in a sequence, one task at a time. I can multitask OK, but if I do I can't get in any kind of flow so I'm a lot slower, and I make more mistakes. It's also pretty stressful for me in general, I don't like it at all.

MONKEY
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2009, 12:20 pm

I can multi-task but I'm pretty crap at it. Combine that with poor co-ordination and that is the reason I am terrible at guitar hero. Because I have to press the buttons on the top and the bottom at the same time and it's impossible.

millie
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2009, 1:01 pm

No. Mostly crap at mulit-tasking.
Although i do paint in the studio with an ipod - the music is better than world noise.

everything without interruption please. everything pursuing my own way of doing it please. Everything following my little time-honoured and carved out life routines. All these things look weird to others, but make sense to me.

and everything - one at a time, please

Icheb
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2009, 1:25 pm

No, I'm very bad at multitasking; my dinner burns on the stove if I'm on the Internet at the same time. My grandmother died long before the www was invented, but she too would spoil dinner if she was immersed in an exciting book, or so my mother tells me.

bringram

20 Apr 2009, 1:33 pm

I can sorta. I can be doing a couple of things at once, on my computer, while watching the tv.
But, don't interupt me while I'm doing something, ask me (or even worse tell me) to do something and make me stop in the middle of what I'm doing.
So I can multi-task, but not switch gears easily.

20 Apr 2009, 1:41 pm

I think I do good at multitasking. I have cooked my mac and cheese while I have the laptop in the kitchen and I glance at the screen every few minutes to see if any of the IM windows were flashing. If they were I would click on it and read the IM and respond back if I had anything to say at the moment. Then go back to stirring my noodles.

Also when I am chatting, I am always doing something else on the computer. I don't just sit here and do nothing. The hardest part is watching a video online and then chatting at the same time. I definitely can't play an online game and chat but I think anyone would have that difficulty.

When watching a video I will have the chat window aside so I can still see the video when I type my message. I also pause the video too if I have too so I don't miss anything.

Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2009, 1:45 pm

I can multitask when it's simple things (so not juggling eggs whilst doing math from the top of my head and hopping on one leg...or something).
And I seem to focus better when I do so.

For example:
Listening to a lecture and taking notes, chatting/internet whilst I'm eating, listening to music whilst doing homework etc.

And I'm good at multitasking when it comes to cooking/baking, but I think it's 'cause it's one of my passions.